Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-20-2023, 10:48 PM   #1
stockf80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Springs or BC coilovers?

I'm currently on the fence on which suspension to go with. I initially wanted to go with BC's on swift springs, but I've been toying with the idea of springs because my stock shocks still have tons of life left. (<20k miles)

I plan to run an oem plus setup on the stock 437m wheels with 15f and 12r spacers.

If you're currently on springs, let me know which ones you went with and how you like the ride compared to factory. Post some pics of your setups down below! Ty
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 11:15 PM   #2
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Lol, I went from swift springs to BC Coils.

Swift springs were good. Didn’t feel too bad for daily driving. But on some canyon sprints, it was too soft on comfort and too stiff on Sport+

Got some BC Coils for a great deal and I’m happy with them for now. Same canyon runs, car felt better over the run. I’m positive they’re nowhere near Moton, Bilstein or KW. But between the two, I’m happier on the BC

I plan on tracking the car so I’m sure in time, as I get more experience, I’ll eventually switch though.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 11:28 PM   #3
E92Roni
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 2012 M3 1999 328IS

If those are your two choices I’d stick with stock suspension especially if you have EDC.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 01:36 AM   #4
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Coilovers > Stock suspension

If you have solid coilovers, you don't need EDC even. I had KW Clubsports (No EDC) and changed to B16 Damptronics. The SO was complaining about the harsher ride of the Clubsports but even though I have EDC back, doesn't even matter. I'd take the KWs back in a heartbeat if the SO wasn't a factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockf80 View Post
I'm currently on the fence on which suspension to go with. I initially wanted to go with BC's on swift springs, but I've been toying with the idea of springs because my stock shocks still have tons of life left. (<20k miles)

I plan to run an oem plus setup on the stock 437m wheels with 15f and 12r spacers.

If you're currently on springs, let me know which ones you went with and how you like the ride compared to factory. Post some pics of your setups down below! Ty
People may disagree but 20K miles likely means the stock shocks are pretty worn. Adding springs to a car with about 20K miles will very quickly wear out what damping force is left, particulaly if you run fairly low springs with high spring rates. I installed KW HAS on my stock shocks at 750 miles with very modest lowering (1" F and .5" R) and in less than 10K miles, the ride quality and handling deteriorated significantly to the point where I got full Bilstein coilovers.

It's not that the car is undrivable at 20K miles w/ springs and it will feel fine if driven on mostly smooth roads but large undulations on the fwy or sharp bumps will make the car feel like a wallowy, bottoming out mess.

If I had to choose btw springs only or BC coilovers, I'd take my chance w/ BC coilovers because at least they come with matched springs and new shocks.

But if it were my money, I'd buy some good, name brand coilovers like KW or Bilstein or just buy some Bilstein shocks and pair them w/ lowering springs. To save money, you can buy someone else's used springs. There should be no problem with used springs, but do not buy used shocks as those items wear out.

If you really prioritize looks and price, then yeah, you can get away with springs only and many people on here will tell you that is totally fine... and it is, but I could not personally put up with the poor handling and ride quality.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2023, 09:09 AM   #6
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Why would you suggest at 20,000 miles that the stock dampers are pretty worn?

Certainly age is a factor but if we just consider a new car that’s accrued 20,000 miles over 2 years (about average), pretty worn wouldn’t be a term associated with any part of that vehicle.

Is this anecdotal?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 10:13 AM   #7
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Coilovers all day. When you get springs you get what you get, with coilovers you get what YOU want.
Here are some quick pics, my car is parked on an incline angle, so they look different on flat ground. I’m running MP HAS, I wanted KW3, but service advisor told me if it’s not BMW it could void part of warranty. He wasn’t trying to sell me anything, I bought my MP HAS from EAS. See pictures below, I’m running 12mm spacers all around but debating going to 15mm in front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 01:01 PM   #8
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Better pic for reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0