INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #771
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
350
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Youíre getting walked on straights by a gt3rs? What power are u putting down?
RS's are one of the few cars that walk F8X's, at least in stock/comp form. Those things look so huge on track when you finally catch back up to them tho.
__________________

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #772
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
431
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: '16 M4 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

A quick question sir's. I noticed at tire shop the BFG-R1s I just bought from Tire Rack are more than 2 years old with production date 1418. I paid full price. Should I be concerned about its performance or longevity? In my quick research some tires seem to have "shelf life."

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 09-18-2020 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #773
bimmerboyE92
Lieutenant
United_States
197
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
A quick question sir's. I noticed at tire shop the BFG-R1s I just bought from Tire Rack are more than 2 years old with production date 1418. I paid full price. Should I be concerned about its performance or longevity? In my quick research some tires seem to have "shelf life."
I wouldn't worry about it. More than 3 years I'd start to complain. I'm assuming you're going to burn these up this season anyways right?
__________________
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #774
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
431
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: '16 M4 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. More than 3 years I'd start to complain. I'm assuming you're going to burn these up this season anyways right?
I will be using them till next season mostly. I just didn't know anything so asking out and researching if there would be any significant compromise as I am getting everything ready till this Tuesday with pretty tight time to change plan. Tire rack told me they could give replacement but they are even older from 2017, so either return them and get done with this season or just use them.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #775
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5938
Rep
7,431
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
A quick question sir's. I noticed at tire shop the BFG-R1s I just bought from Tire Rack are more than 2 years old with production date 1418. I paid full price. Should I be concerned about its performance or longevity? In my quick research some tires seem to have "shelf life."
I'm still using a set with 2016 build date
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #776
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5938
Rep
7,431
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
I abuse brakes, if I had stock front calipers, I would have to change Pads every other track day. But there is something satisfying about having a GT3RS get away from you on a straight away and then late break your way through a couple corners and right back on him

Speaking of which, I need to sell the DSUNO Fronts I bought from you - never used them....
That's odd. The RS does not walk away and I have a stock engine.

A 'friend' has a 991.1 3RS with headers, catless exhaust, intake, tune, the works. I put a SoloDL in his car to see his actual times vs made up crap and in the straights he doesn't have any advantage. Same day, same track
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #777
bimmerboyE92
Lieutenant
United_States
197
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
I will be using them till next season mostly. I just didn't know anything so asking out and researching if there would be any significant compromise as I am getting everything ready till this Tuesday with pretty tight time to change plan. Tire rack told me they could give replacement but they are even older from 2017, so either return them and get done with this season or just use them.
How many days does one get out of these tires? Havenít met a tire worth more than 4-5 track days at 4 sessions a day. Ok, maybe the NT01s but I donít use those.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #778
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
431
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: '16 M4 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
How many days does one get out of these tires? Haven’t met a tire worth more than 4-5 track days at 4 sessions a day. Ok, maybe the NT01s but I don’t use those.
I don't know yet. First time trying a 40 treadwear tires so just wanted to make sure I wasn't ripped off lol. NT01 would be definitely an exception; I am still keeping rears and going to reuse them at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm still using a set with 2016 build date
That was what I wanted to hear! Thanks.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5938.00

      09-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #779
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
13076
Rep
17,851
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
That's odd. The RS does not walk away and I have a stock engine.

A 'friend' has a 991.1 3RS with headers, catless exhaust, intake, tune, the works. I put a SoloDL in his car to see his actual times vs made up crap and in the straights he doesn't have any advantage. Same day, same track
I know you despise Porsches, but a 991.2 GT3RS WILL walk an M3/4, even a CS. A 67hp AND 300lb advantage is nothing to skuff at and results in a ~2 second advantage from 60 to 130mph (as shown by several rag tests).
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-18-2020 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #780
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3097
Rep
10,457
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Got ~2 hours of lapping in on Friday. I finally really gave throttle in efficient a serious test, 2 ~25min sessions worth. I need to eyeball the data between the 2 sessions in sport and 2 in efficient, but I think efficient is the way to go. Initially I felt slower because I was having to correct my behavior and feed more throttle to get the same effect. However, once I got accustomed to that, I was able to better modulate the throttle in corners and start rolling into the throttle sooner. This yielded several spins as I found new limits, but the last 2 sessions had very little traffic so I was got several(20+) laps in and got to play in the two corners that I really notice a difference rolling into the throttle.

I also practiced the corner prior to the long straight. Went from braking lightly to bleed ~10 mph, to lifting ~3 car lengths out, coming in what felt a little hot, but with the new throttle I was able to roll into the throttle earlier and harder. First time I tried it I went from a +0.1s to -0.5s on the Solo2 after a few hundred feet down the straight out of T3. I was gobsmacked. I'm having to relearn a lot of behaviors going from a ~2200lb Miata to a 3500lb M4.

One of the spins quickly educated me that I'm rapidly approaching my current skill levels in wrangling this car. In the GTS section I've got a thread going, and I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that 1) I needed an intermediate car between the Miata and M4 2) I miss wheel to wheel racing. So, M235ir clone time! Friday really hammered that point home for me. I was chasing a GTS3 E46, and while I could pull him on the straights, and keep up on some of the slower corners, one long high speed sweeper the dude just walked me.

I'm going to keep the M4 configured for the track, and I have one more session planned later this month, but I think this winter and for most of 2021 I'll focus on a GTS3 M235i build. Dropping some weight and dropping a TON of applied torque will give me a platform to get more accustomed to these speeds. Plus, if I ball up a M235i, I won't lose much sleep. I'd be quite annoyed with myself if I ball up my M4.


Anywho, give throttle in efficient a shot. I wish I could load a custom throttle mapping for this car, I think I want something that blends efficient and sport, but sport was definitely getting me into trouble at times when I'd accidentally call for more torque than I needed.
Hey I thought that the f80 cooling system was also linked to the throttle setting? Like in sport+ throttle the cooling system sets a lower target temp for oil vs efficient. I canít find the technical training manual on these forums anymore but could be good to check? At least it was for me since I was in socal desert when I had my f80

I think club racing e36m would be cool. Isnít that the usual setup up after Miata?

Also, have you looked into arrive and drive with radical? One of my acquaintances went to that platform and apparently itís bonkers with the aero package and massive power to weight ratio. And it will teach you about driving an aero supported car
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #781
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5938
Rep
7,431
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I know you despise Porsches, but a 991.2 GT3RS WILL walk an M3/4, even a CS. A 67hp AND 300lb advantage is nothing to skuff at and results in a ~2 second advantage from 60 to 130mph (as shown by several rag tests).
If you need to see the data I have it, albeit from a fully modded .1 3RS

I do despise Porsches but that doesn't diminish their straight line speed
Appreciate 1
CanAutM313076.00

      09-18-2020, 10:09 PM   #782
adc
Major General
United_States
1676
Rep
6,011
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
I abuse brakes, if I had stock front calipers, I would have to change Pads every other track day. But there is something satisfying about having a GT3RS get away from you on a straight away and then late break your way through a couple corners and right back on him

Speaking of which, I need to sell the DSUNO Fronts I bought from you - never used them....
I find that very few people brake as late and deep as the car is capable of, no matter what the car is. I catch most everybody under hard braking at the end of the straights.

Iím guessing thatís because the penalty of getting it wrong can be severe. And when you brake from 150-160mph, even an error of 2 yards too late can spit you in the grass like nothing.
__________________

2018 F80 Santorini
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #783
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
13076
Rep
17,851
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I find that very few people brake as late and deep as the car is capable of, no matter what the car is. I catch most everybody under hard braking at the end of the straights.

I’m guessing that’s because the penalty of getting it wrong can be severe. And when you brake from 150-160mph, even an error of 2 yards too late can spit you in the grass like nothing.
As a tidbit, in actual fact, most of the time the "catching up" is made in the straight before braking. Due to dynamics, the faster two cars travel, the larger the distance gap between the two cars for a given time gap. So when a car catches up to another one in front of it while accelerating, the distance between the two cars can remain constant or even increase slightly. It is only when the cars slow down during braking at the end of the straight that the distance gap between the two cars will diminish significantly, giving the false perception that the "catching up" was achieved during braking.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #784
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
13076
Rep
17,851
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
If you need to see the data I have it, albeit from a fully modded .1 3RS

I do despise Porsches but that doesn't diminish their straight line speed
Indeed, 991.1 RS is not quite as fast as a 992.2 RS.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #785
adc
Major General
United_States
1676
Rep
6,011
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
As a tidbit, in actual fact, most of the time the "catching up" is made in the straight before braking. Due to dynamics, the faster two cars travel, the larger the distance gap between the two cars for a given time gap. So when a car catches up to another one in front of it while accelerating, the distance between the two cars can remain constant or even increase slightly. It is only when the cars slow down during braking at the end of the straight that the distance gap between the two cars will diminish significantly, giving the false perception that the "catching up" was achieved during braking.
I am aware of the accordion effect of accelerating and decelerating.

But when you start with a gap, it then increases but at the end the gap is ZERO, youíve ďcaught up under brakingĒ. I basically have to amend my braking line to not end up in their bumper.
__________________

2018 F80 Santorini
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #786
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
1201
Rep
2,569
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Some acceleration comparison data using one of my laps @ Sebring and Skeen's in a tuned M4 GTS, albeit with passenger, but on slicks, dct vs 6mt in the .2, GTS lap in much cooler conditions, etc. so allowing for all of the usual variable differences.

Le Mans corner min apex speed, both 61 mph.

Ullman Straight max speed, both 148...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I find that very few people brake as late and deep as the car is capable of, no matter what the car is. I catch most everybody under hard braking at the end of the straights.
True and especially the case in GT cars, I think. Substantial braking reserves. The more boot you give, the more she stops. If brake application is considered in 10 lb. increments, GT3 has the largest scale I've experienced, if that makes some sense. So, when most GT drivers are "hard on the brakes," I'll bet there's another 50 lbs. of potential pressure and braking performance there.
__________________
DCT E90 M3 (stock), M4 GTS, Camaro Z/28. Past: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 + Pagid RS29 | Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275 35 18, Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5938.00

      09-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #787
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5938
Rep
7,431
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Indeed, 991.1 RS is not quite as fast as a 992.2 RS.
The 991.1 3RS has 500hp and the 991.2 3RS has 525hp.

Headers, cats and a tune are worth more than 25hp. 25hp are not going to 'walk' anything at the +450hp level.

A 991 GT2 RS now, that is another story, that does 'walk' an F8X
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #788
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5938
Rep
7,431
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hey I thought that the f80 cooling system was also linked to the throttle setting? Like in sport+ throttle the cooling system sets a lower target temp for oil vs efficient. I canít find the technical training manual on these forums anymore but could be good to check? At least it was for me since I was in socal desert when I had my f80
Although it is linked for driving around the street, on the track all throttle settings target the same temperature
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #789
PrimeBMW
Major
PrimeBMW's Avatar
No_Country
307
Rep
1,284
Posts

Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
I will be using them till next season mostly. I just didn't know anything so asking out and researching if there would be any significant compromise as I am getting everything ready till this Tuesday with pretty tight time to change plan. Tire rack told me they could give replacement but they are even older from 2017, so either return them and get done with this season or just use them.
How many days does one get out of these tires? Haven’t met a tire worth more than 4-5 track days at 4 sessions a day. Ok, maybe the NT01s but I don’t use those.
I used to get 7-8 days on an e92 M3. Square setup and rotated the tires to prolong life. Each track and car will be different.
Appreciate 1
fanatic1467.50

      09-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #790
fanatic1
Lieutenant
fanatic1's Avatar
United_States
468
Rep
522
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Encinitas/San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Indeed, 991.1 RS is not quite as fast as a 992.2 RS.
The 991.1 3RS has 500hp and the 991.2 3RS has 525hp.

Headers, cats and a tune are worth more than 25hp. 25hp are not going to 'walk' anything at the +450hp level.

A 991 GT2 RS now, that is another story, that does 'walk' an F8X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Indeed, 991.1 RS is not quite as fast as a 992.2 RS.
The 991.1 3RS has 500hp and the 991.2 3RS has 525hp.

Headers, cats and a tune are worth more than 25hp. 25hp are not going to 'walk' anything at the +450hp level.

A 991 GT2 RS now, that is another story, that does 'walk' an F8X
GT2? Absolutely true, but when motivated
Attached Images
 
__________________
19 M4 CS LRG MPE
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow5938.00
CanAutM313076.00

      09-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #791
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5938
Rep
7,431
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
GT2? Absolutely true, but when motivated
Oh for sure, there is no such thing as a invincible car. The 2RS is just really fast in straights!
Appreciate 1
fanatic1467.50

      09-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #792
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9372
Rep
10,366
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
I abuse brakes, if I had stock front calipers, I would have to change Pads every other track day. But there is something satisfying about having a GT3RS get away from you on a straight away and then late break your way through a couple corners and right back on him

Speaking of which, I need to sell the DSUNO Fronts I bought from you - never used them....
I find that very few people brake as late and deep as the car is capable of, no matter what the car is. I catch most everybody under hard braking at the end of the straights.

I’m guessing that’s because the penalty of getting it wrong can be severe. And when you brake from 150-160mph, even an error of 2 yards too late can spit you in the grass like nothing.
Balling up a GT3RS is a harder pill to swallow when it comes to $$$ too...
__________________

2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
fanatic1467.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST