proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-17-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
Totsie7944
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 Corvette ZR1

Getting a F83 M4 Convertible - Help a newbie w/ the basics!

Hi all - new here and new to BMW's. I have a 625 whp Integra Type R and a 745 whp Corvette ZR1. Very mechanical savvy - completely built the Integra myself.

My wife desperately wants a hard-top M4 convertible and she's been a good sport about my other toys so I think it's time.

Spec: 2018-2020 Mineral White w/ Orange interior

I am going to go nuts with the carbon fiber goodies - front lip/lower splitters, diffuser, side skirts, rear spoiler, mirror caps and carbon grille and bumper inserts. I think it'll look awesome. Mostly RW Carbon and some ind.

However, I am a performance guy and other than googling, I don't know much about this platform.

Here is what I'm thinking:
-Remus Axle back
-Active Autowerke mid-pipe
-BM3 tune

I'd like to get it to 525+ whp and be done. Thoughts? Do these things benefit from intake upgrades (I couldn't find a lot with actual facts). I also don't want any risk of the hub issue I've read about.

Thanks again all.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 01:23 AM   #2
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
Congrats on your choice, you won't be disappointed, it's a great car!

The question is what are you interested in achieving? Straight line performance?

If yes, you can't go wrong with BM3, mid-pipe helps, and Remus is a good choice (but so are many others). There are like a million threads on the crank hub, I would personally go with the Insane one as it makes most sense from a technical standpoint. Yes it's expensive, but for me it's pretty clear that one bigger piece is less likely to fail, then a few smaller ones.

Forget the Eventuri, it might makes sense from a sound and aesthetics point of view (if you like that), but most likely not from any other.

I would also add a KW DCC on my list if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 01:17 PM   #3
Totsie7944
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 Corvette ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFTBA View Post
Congrats on your choice, you won't be disappointed, it's a great car!

The question is what are you interested in achieving? Straight line performance?

If yes, you can't go wrong with BM3, mid-pipe helps, and Remus is a good choice (but so are many others). There are like a million threads on the crank hub, I would personally go with the Insane one as it makes most sense from a technical standpoint. Yes it's expensive, but for me it's pretty clear that one bigger piece is less likely to fail, then a few smaller ones.

Forget the Eventuri, it might makes sense from a sound and aesthetics point of view (if you like that), but most likely not from any other.

I would also add a KW DCC on my list if I were you.
Hey thank you for the response! I was actually going to go with the new 4-pin Insane crank hub. Seems like a no brainer, I agree!

As far as an intake, I did some more reading and will likely just go with the BMC drop-in air filter and leave the rest stock.

Again, this is primarily for my wife as I already have 2 fun cars. So I really just want it to look good, sound decent, and have solid straight-line speed/pick-up.

Out of curiosity, I know there are various threads on tuners, but who is best suited to give a custom tune through BM3? And what's the limits of wheel horsepower with stock turbos and the exhaust setup I mentioned?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 07:57 PM   #4
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

I wouldnt worry about the crank hub. It seems to have been address post 2016 also seems to be Virtually non existent issue for cars pushing less than 600hp. Yes it has happened. But for the amount of S55s on the road and the frequency of SCH the percentage is very low.

I am currently running BMC drop ins and BM3 S2 tune. my guess is 500~WHP. Havent done the crank hub. and I dont plan on it, until I decide to pull the trigger on upgraded turbos. Even then SCH are rarely catastrophic. If your worried do a CBC save yourself $2k. i was advised to do the crank hub if it becomes an issue 9/10 times it just puts the car in limp mode and needs to be retimed.

Next mods are gonna be charge pipes, CTS high flow cats. AA single midpipe not sure on the can yet(Either Active or Akra) unless I find something I think sounds better which is very possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 08:54 PM   #5
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

those other platforms are great, but BMW is awesome for modding, once you put a tune and downpipes you are probably going to keep the f83 for yourself.

Intakes will net you 0hp, but the sound alone is worth an upgrade if you like turbo induction sound
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #6
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
those other platforms are great, but BMW is awesome for modding, once you put a tune and downpipes you are probably going to keep the f83 for yourself.

Intakes will net you 0hp, but the sound alone is worth an upgrade if you like turbo induction sound
If you want a strong 520+ whp car for her I would recommend doing a high flow cat (Skips the emissions BS) with BM3 OTS stage 2 and thats really it. If you want better airflow from intakes you can just do drop in filters and call it a day the car generally doesn't need aftermarket intakes other than for sound or looks. If you want improved sound without really snagging an exhaust system either cut out the resonator it does a lot to the stock exhaust sound but doesn't make it obviously obnoxious IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 07:22 PM   #7
tomtuning
JB4 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

In the same boat, about to pick up a '2016 F83 M4 6 speed manual. Should I be worried about crank hub since it's a 6 speed?

I've read a few places online that most of the crank hub problems are related to the DCT cars which technically makes no sense to me, but I'm wondering about it.

What should be my short list for mods? Coming from a FBO 135i, what would get me the most bang for my buck?

Thanks,
-Tom
      06-12-2023, 12:27 PM   #8
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtuning View Post
In the same boat, about to pick up a '2016 F83 M4 6 speed manual. Should I be worried about crank hub since it's a 6 speed?

I've read a few places online that most of the crank hub problems are related to the DCT cars which technically makes no sense to me, but I'm wondering about it.

What should be my short list for mods? Coming from a FBO 135i, what would get me the most bang for my buck?

Thanks,
-Tom
VRSF(or any brand) Catless downpipe, BM3 stage 2, will get you the most out of the car. After stage 2 alot of worry is on the crankhub it is all personal preference what you want to do with it. The way I see it is risk 10k motor or install 3.5k preventative part. I personally did my CH when I did downpipes and went stage 2, it saved a bit on labor doing both together and I don't necessarily have that worry anymore in the back of my mind. The DCT is not the only one that can have the CH issue though it can show up just as common on a manual transmission F8x but the DCT is the main culprit.
Appreciate 0