European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-19-2018, 05:29 AM   #23
CH_M3f80
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X3MC LCI

Hi Sancho!

Does the Fabspeed fitment problem still exists when I buy a new one now? May the have now a version 2.0?

Best wishes
Nic
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #24
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH_M3f80 View Post
Hi Sancho!

Does the Fabspeed fitment problem still exists when I buy a new one now? May the have now a version 2.0?

Best wishes
Nic
I can answer that question since I just got mines from them, yes problem still present. It’s not a big deal tho since you know now what to expect tho. In my opinion this should had been corrected by now but I’m Not sure why it hasn’t.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #25
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I'm not sure if they have been aware of this thread or if they are still active on the forums but I'm tagging all Fabspeed Motorsport folks that come up on the @ search so they are aware of feedback regarding the F80/F82 secondary cat delete xpipe.

Joey@Fabspeed Jeremy@Fabspeed Geoffrey@Fabspeed Alex@fabspeed John@Fabspeed

Hello folks, I wrote a review on my experience last year and also wrote an email to Bobby regarding my experience with you midpipe. The sound enhancement of the product has been wonderful but there have been fitment issues of current owners that are concerning to future potential owners.

The issue I came across was difficultly installing at the downpipe because of the angle of that leads to the contact point which also causes the pipe to sit an inch and a half lower than the bottom of the car. The product also installs with a portion of it (side with the front hanger stud) pressed up against the headshield which causes bad vibrations of the car and extreme drone. This issue is resolved on the customer end by bending the heatshield away.

Since this product is made to order, can you address if these issues will be resolved for future fabrications?
Appreciate 3
///M///1861.00
domino_z1196.00
EBII33533.50
      11-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #26
ptyf80
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 Mineral Gray

Are there any power or tq gains by using this x-pipe. When i bought my F80 the previous owner gave it to me, he used for a few months but due to the fitment problems he switched back to the OEM one.

Im considering installing it again, but only if it will provide HP gains.

Has anyone dyno the car before and after installing it?

PTYF80
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #27
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyf80 View Post
Are there any power or tq gains by using this x-pipe. When i bought my F80 the previous owner gave it to me, he used for a few months but due to the fitment problems he switched back to the OEM one.

Im considering installing it again, but only if it will provide HP gains.

Has anyone dyno the car before and after installing it?

PTYF80
With stock downpipe most believe little to no increase. If you de-cat your downpipe then yes but still little gains without a tune.

This mod is done for the sound!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #28
CH_M3f80
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X3MC LCI

My Question (10/2018): Does the Problem with the fitment still exists? (Heat Shield to close to the pipe).
Official answer from P.J of Fabspeed:
"Fitment is tight but not an issue"
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH_M3f80 View Post
My Question (10/2018): Does the Problem with the fitment still exists? (Heat Shield to close to the pipe).
Official answer from P.J of Fabspeed:
"Fitment is tight but not an issue"
It sure is BUT once you bent a few things zero issues. Regardless this shouldn’t be the norm on a 1000+ pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #30
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Has the low hanging flex section been an issue for anyone?

Mine fit up ok, had to bend heat shield which was a known going in, but at least the flanges lined up which was my main concern
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #31
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My midpipe after downpipe doesn't hang low as per op's pics

Maybe this has been corrected by fabspeed now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #32
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
My midpipe after downpipe doesn't hang low as per op's pics

Maybe this has been corrected by fabspeed now
Your fitment looks great! Looking forward to hearing your opinion on how it sounds!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #33
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My thoughts here

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24867450
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #34
strada
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 6MT - Tanzanite/SS

Resurrecting an old thread. Got my F80 comp with MPE back in May, noticed some buzzing on startup. Only mod was Fabspeed midpipe installed by original owner.

Initially didn't think much of the buzzing on cold start it but eventually started looking at on forums. Initially suspected tips, then valves. Finally got around to making service appointment thinking it was going to be issue with valves but on video it seemed to be quite external as below.

When I took it in, the techs at BMW dealer sent me this, apologies for potato quality - had to screen grab from phone since I couldn't direct download.

Seems much like Sancho, Fabspeed mid is up against body/heatshield. Will likely need to bend away. But BMW also suggested this was causing slight misaligntment of MPE to cause buzzing against diffuser.

Not sure if I can bend the portion of heatshield away where it's closest by transmission or not. But I suspect it also explains the low rev rattle on throttle application in low gears.

I think next thing will be to loosen all bolts and see if I can reposition the exhaust to left a bit? Anyone else have any insight or experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:09 AM   #35
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strada View Post
Resurrecting an old thread. Got my F80 comp with MPE back in May, noticed some buzzing on startup. Only mod was Fabspeed midpipe installed by original owner.

Initially didn't think much of the buzzing on cold start it but eventually started looking at on forums. Initially suspected tips, then valves. Finally got around to making service appointment thinking it was going to be issue with valves but on video it seemed to be quite external as below.

When I took it in, the techs at BMW dealer sent me this, apologies for potato quality - had to screen grab from phone since I couldn't direct download.

Seems much like Sancho, Fabspeed mid is up against body/heatshield. Will likely need to bend away. But BMW also suggested this was causing slight misaligntment of MPE to cause buzzing against diffuser.

Not sure if I can bend the portion of heatshield away where it's closest by transmission or not. But I suspect it also explains the low rev rattle on throttle application in low gears.

I think next thing will be to loosen all bolts and see if I can reposition the exhaust to left a bit? Anyone else have any insight or experience?
Looks like you have a couple issues. One is the midpipe making contact with the heat-shield. Adjust the pipe so that it isn't pressed up against anything. For more clearance bend the heat-shield away to ensure the mid-pipe is clear from hitting it. It can be done and won't take too much of an effort. I did mine by hand under a slightly raised car while on my back but feel free to use tools to make things easier (it's possible I may have also used the handle of my ratchet to help in a spot or two since I already had it next to me while under the car).

The other issue is related to your tips. There have been post regarding the CF tips on the MPE being an issue. It is clear in the video that the tips are definitely a culprit. The question is why. I am skeptical that you wouldn't have this issue with a stock midpipe.

It looks like the tips are loose, either with the bolt that secures them to the MPE, the rivets that fasten the CF to the metal pipe of the tips, or they are swinging because they are heavy. Could be due to the contact of the midpipe so start there first. Hopefully it's not swinging because of a cracked MPE. Consider removing the tips to see if you still have such a bad rattle.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by SanchoDivine; 09-16-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
strada117.00
      09-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #36
strada
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 6MT - Tanzanite/SS

Thanks Sancho, I'm gonna put it up this weekend and loosen everything up to see if I can get some more clearance and center the MPE section as well. Heatshield definitely looks like it needs some moving as well. Hopefully this fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #37
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by strada View Post
Thanks Sancho, I'm gonna put it up this weekend and loosen everything up to see if I can get some more clearance and center the MPE section as well. Heatshield definitely looks like it needs some moving as well. Hopefully this fixes it.
Let us know how it goes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 06:07 PM   #38
VancouverF82
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4

Anybody else tried this x pipe?
Appreciate 0