European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-22-2022, 12:17 AM   #23
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Gents,

It is my belief and let me know if I'm wrong. BM3 uses a generic modified stock map not your vehicle specific stock DME CalID and CVN, that's why your failing. Both of these have been reported to DMV and when the CVN and CalID are checked and dont match "red flag" even if your sensors all say "Ready".
No need to go to BMW for that, get your original OEM stock map flashed back on from BM3 or whoever tuner you have.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=smog+check
Problem is once you flash any OTS map you no longer have your original map. When you flash back a "stock" map. You fail for modified software standards. That's why you have to go to BMW dealer and get the software update.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 12:20 AM   #24
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmunk View Post
Quote:
Gents,

It is my belief and let me know if I'm wrong. BM3 uses a generic modified stock map not your vehicle specific stock DME CalID and CVN, that's why your failing. Both of these have been reported to DMV and when the CVN and CalID are checked and dont match "red flag" even if your sensors all say "Ready".
No need to go to BMW for that, get your original OEM stock map flashed back on from BM3 or whoever tuner you have.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1791405&highlight=smog+check
Problem is once you flash any OTS map you no longer have your original map. When you flash back a "stock" map. You fail for modified software standards. That's why you have to go to BMW dealer and get the software update.
+1.

This is not something you want to risk because if you fail the checksum, your car will be permanently flagged and sent to the referee (if you are in CA).

This is not an headache you want to deal with, trust me lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
MSH1.50
      06-22-2022, 03:26 AM   #25
c63sss
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 c63s, 18 f80

Prob gonna delete this comment later on but let me know if your in California. I have someone for smog, state ref, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:15 AM   #26
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Beating a dead horse here.

Yeah, it sucks that you now have to go to the dealer and pay for programming, but that's the only way to clear the flag on your VIN with the state.

You're just wasting time by reaching out to support from these companies to avoid the big bad dealer. Be nice to your SA. Bring them a coffee. Leave a good survey. It's gonna be okay, I promise.

No "stock" map from MHD/BM3 etc. is a true stock map that will bring the DME back to OEM spec.
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #27
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Doesn't BM3 conduct a back up of your original map than you can reload at anytime?
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 06-22-2022 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #28
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 F83 Atlantis Metallic

Ok here's the update guys:

I just got back from the MAC center and had the inspector do the re-check. The codes are a match now. First off, I want to give a shoutout to kubax86 for flashing the DME for me. I called two dealers and they all wanted over $300 just to flash the DME. One quoted $380 and the other was $363, and it would take two and a half hours to do the update. They said that they just recently had the price increased. Well with the rising price of everything these days, it didn't surprise me. So, whoever can get the $200 or so price is really lucky.
After I heard that, I reached out to kubax86 and asked him if he does DME flash updates and he replied back "yes" he can. So, he did the DME flash update for me last Friday. I had to do the drive cycle that hellokitty posted again to get the monitors ready. Today I went to see the inspector from the MAC center to get the re-check. Luckily the inspector was really nice and didn't give me a hard time as to where I got the update done. He knew that the update was going to be pricey. He just told me he doesn't care where I get the DME updated and doesn't need to see proof of receipt that it was done at a dealer, just as long as he can verify that the code that is on the car matches the BMW one. It was a match, and he updated the system so now I can go back to the inspection site to remove the rejected one that is on there and put in the correct one. The inspector did tell me that the system looks for the CVN and CAL ID just like what Wanted_M posted.
2024 BMW X6 M60i Isle of Man Green / Ivory White

Last edited by Nick7700; 06-22-2022 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 7
Wanted_M759.00
hellokitty2895.50
Redacre369.00
RodF8222.50
2Times1064.50
      06-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #29
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't BM3 conduct a back up of your original map than you can reload at anytime?
This isn't your "original" map from the factory. It is just a generic stock map rather than an exact backup copy.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 2
Wanted_M759.00
      06-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #30
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Thanks man, if that's a true, IMHO their statement on there is misleading as it states "Stock/Factory/Original Tune Calibration". Language should be changed to Stock/Factory Calibration and remove the "Original" part as that's not true for each of our vehicles..
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #31
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, if that's a true, IMHO their statement on there is misleading as it states "Stock/Factory/Original Tune Calibration". Language should be changed to Stock/Factory Calibration and remove the "Original" part as that's not true for each of our vehicles..
I agree with you there. That's what I originally thought when I did the flash to stock. I thought that it would reverted back to my factory settings and doing the drive cycles to get the monitors ready. Well this whole ordeal really helped me understood this flash to stock, the emissions tests with the state inspections.

Now I'm not sure if I want to put the BM3 back on. If I were to flash the BM3 back on, will I have to go through this again next year when the inspection is due? Have the DME re-flash every year when inspection comes?

BTW, thanks to everyone in here for all of your valued inputs! This is where this BMW community helps each other out.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2022, 12:23 PM   #32
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7700 View Post
Now I'm not sure if I want to put the BM3 back on. If I were to flash the BM3 back on, will I have to go through this again next year when the inspection is due? Have the DME re-flash every year when inspection comes?
Yes.
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 07:59 AM   #33
MAski
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i GC

I'm just back from a MA Emissions Fail / referral to MAC.

I didn't know the car was currently tuned, or was tuned in the past

The MAC inspector said to me that he could see that the car had a tune on it (I really don't know what he actually knew, or if he was bluffing), as I kept my interaction with him brief, after he said "do you know that emissions tampering is a federal offense" , I simply asked him - "what needs to happen next ?" , he said "you need to get the ECU back to its original stock software" and he requested a copy of the receipt for the fix.

It was then that I started reading some of these forum posts and realized that the best thing to do was to take it to BMW, pay the $285 for a flash (and Drive Cycle -make sure you have them do this (I think its included or at no charge, despite the 30+min drive).

I received the car back from BMW, sent the MAC inspector a picture of my receipt, then met him for a quick appointment where he downloaded info from my OBD only, to follow up a day later, letting me know it was ready for reinspection, I returned to my original station and got my sticker.

In all, I can report that a full BMW reflash will get it done.

I
Appreciate 4
      06-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #34
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAski View Post
I'm just back from a MA Emissions Fail / referral to MAC.

I didn't know the car was currently tuned, or was tuned in the past

The MAC inspector said to me that he could see that the car had a tune on it (I really don't know what he actually knew, or if he was bluffing), as I kept my interaction with him brief, after he said "do you know that emissions tampering is a federal offense" , I simply asked him - "what needs to happen next ?" , he said "you need to get the ECU back to its original stock software" and he requested a copy of the receipt for the fix.

It was then that I started reading some of these forum posts and realized that the best thing to do was to take it to BMW, pay the $285 for a flash (and Drive Cycle -make sure you have them do this (I think its included or at no charge, despite the 30+min drive).

I received the car back from BMW, sent the MAC inspector a picture of my receipt, then met him for a quick appointment where he downloaded info from my OBD only, to follow up a day later, letting me know it was ready for reinspection, I returned to my original station and got my sticker.

In all, I can report that a full BMW reflash will get it done.

I
Which MAC center did you go to? I don't mind posting where I went just to help other fellow members. When I called the number they told me to call, there's only a handful of MAC centers in New England. The inspector was very cool and easy to deal with. I did hear from other folks that some inspectors will require receipt from an authorized BMW dealership. So I was lucky. The MAC center was in Tewksbury. I'm getting my sticker now and will have to make a decision on flashing back to BM3. I do miss it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #35
MAski
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i GC

I went to a 'mobile' center in Norwood. The guy met me and just plugged in the OBD to check my file. He called me 2 days later and said I was ok to go back to my local station to be re inspected. I passed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #36
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

hellokitty
Say you go through all this, go to BMW to update > Pass.

What happens if you want to flash again to stg 2 or whatever?

Is it an endless cycle? Wouldn't BMW be taking note that car keeps coming in for software update?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:37 PM   #37
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
hellokitty
Say you go through all this, go to BMW to update > Pass.

What happens if you want to flash again to stg 2 or whatever?

Is it an endless cycle? Wouldn't BMW be taking note that car keeps coming in for software update?
Pretty much an endless cycle every time a smog check happens unless you "know a guy."

There really isn't a reason for BMW to care unless you are still under factory warranty.

Just play dumb at the dealer and say your monitors are not ready for smog and that you heard you need to reflash your DME to get it ready.

Hinting that a flash may be needed will save you and the dealership time and you money since they don't need to spend a ton of time figuring out why emissions won't get ready.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #38
M3_S55low
Rep

So the best option is to get another DME for tunes and your stock DME for SMOG?

Or can anyone confirm they are able to save the OEM tune using bm3 and flash back to pass smog?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 03:21 PM   #39
2Slo_F83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 | F83 + 06 | Lexus IS350

Curious to know, is this applicable for Bimmercode tweaks that we do e.g.: convinient access and headlights etc.?
      07-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #40
mtaxed
m tax the world
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, Bagged 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Slo_F83 View Post
Curious to know, is this applicable for Bimmercode tweaks that we do e.g.: convinient access and headlights etc.?
+1 curious about this as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #41
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daruuuuton View Post
So the best option is to get another DME for tunes and your stock DME for SMOG?

Or can anyone confirm they are able to save the OEM tune using bm3 and flash back to pass smog?
I was heavily tuned and running downpipes, no pass. Then I put my cats back on and flashed BM3 to my Stock tune, and passed. This was PA.

Swapping a DME is a fairly involved job (done it), so I wouldn't unless it's a last resort.
      07-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #42
kcha
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I was heavily tuned and running downpipes, no pass. Then I put my cats back on and flashed BM3 to my Stock tune, and passed. This was PA.

Swapping a DME is a fairly involved job (done it), so I wouldn't unless it's a last resort.
Hmm, I guess that’s the only option for CA and MA folks for now?
Is it plug and play or do we need any additional coding or programming after installation every time?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #43
Nick7700
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Hmm, I guess that's the only option for CA and MA folks for now?
Is it plug and play or do we need any additional coding or programming after installation every time?
Yeah I guess so for CA and MA folks.

After I got DME re-flashed and the inspection passed, I still haven't re-flashed the BMS OTS yet. Right now I'm still undecided. It kind of sucks that we have to do this every year in order to enjoy this mod. I was hoping to see if others in MA. ran into similar issues and having it failed. Myself and another member is all I know at this point. It would help to get a census of this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #44
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7700 View Post
Yeah I guess so for CA and MA folks.

After I got DME re-flashed and the inspection passed, I still haven't re-flashed the BMS OTS yet. Right now I'm still undecided. It kind of sucks that we have to do this every year in order to enjoy this mod. I was hoping to see if others in MA. ran into similar issues and having it failed. Myself and another member is all I know at this point. It would help to get a census of this issue.
Do you guys have to smog your car every year in MA? CA doesn't reqiure a smog check unless your car is 8 yrs old. Then only once every 2 yrs.
Appreciate 0