R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #177
rufio1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Not from the initial diagnostic but they kept my car for 2 days and after the "BMW engineers" got involved, were able to correctly identify the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #178
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Never had luck with the dealer replicating this problem on my car. They shrugged when I showed them my video. Is there any reason to believe there are potential long term negative consequences from this?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #179
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _robert_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke42179 View Post
Nope. Still not fixed. New valvetronic. Noise may be slightly quieter than before.

Eccentric shaft?

Any resolution on this - or will you live with the ticking.
Valvetronic motor needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #180
sublimey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Boxster S

Hi all, were there any error codes thrown when the dealers tried troubleshooting?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #181
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimey View Post
Hi all, were there any error codes thrown when the dealers tried troubleshooting?
I believe so (don't know what the error codes were). But they were able to diagnose it because of error codes for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #182
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post
I believe so (don't know what the error codes were). But they were able to diagnose it because of error codes for me.
So, your CEL was illuminated? Or did you have error codes without it?

My car goes in next week and they told me they need to replicate the behavior.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #183
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedline View Post
So, your CEL was illuminated? Or did you have error codes without it?

My car goes in next week and they told me they need to replicate the behavior.
The first time I went in for this my CEL was illuminated. The second time I believe they were actually able to extract code without the light being on.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #184
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

No check engine light or codes on mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:46 AM   #185
axz17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F82

Quote:
Never had luck with the dealer replicating this problem on my car. They shrugged when I showed them my video. Is there any reason to believe there are potential long term negative consequences from this?
I'm curious about this also - have shown two dealers with nothing to show for it
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #186
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As a follow up -- left my car overnight at the dealer and by a stroke of luck, they heard the noise. Replaced the valvetronic motor actuator and a week later got my car back. It's been a couple of months now and no more ticking.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #187
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
As a follow up -- left my car overnight at the dealer and by a stroke of luck, they heard the noise. Replaced the valvetronic motor actuator and a week later got my car back. It's been a couple of months now and no more ticking.
Did they also replace the shaft of the motor? I had to go in twice for this because the first time they didn't replace the shaft. Second time they did and I haven't had it come back yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #188
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they also replace the shaft of the motor? I had to go in twice for this because the first time they didn't replace the shaft. Second time they did and I haven't had it come back yet.
Good question. Not obvious from the writeup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #189
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

My 2017 m3 with 25,000 miles does the loud knock when cold that is associated with the exhaust cam needing to be tightened....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #190
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Is there any reason to believe there are potential long term negative consequences from this?

Given my limited understanding, the main purpose of the valvetronic motor (aka actuator) is that it automatically alters the position and the timing of the intake valves. Alongside the VANOS system, it works by actuating a camshaft that adjusts the (lifting) position and the timing of these valves. The danger is that when it fails, the valves could remain stuck, leading to one or more of the following (according to my dealer's shop foreman):

• Oil leaks
• Lost power
• Engine misfires and/or
• Starting difficulties

I too have heard this ticking noise upon unlocking my car at least a couple of times in my S55 motor (have a '19 M2C with about 5k miles). I had my car at the dealer all last week (brought it in for a different concern, but also asked them to check on this). They could not duplicate the ticking noise, so no work has been done towards fixing it.

Now, during my conversation w/ the Shop Foreman when I picked up my M2C yesterday, he said that I should get this issue fixed when/if symptoms do increase. He didn’t doubt me, but without specific proof that it occurs on my car, they can’t submit the warranty work to BMW AG (and thus get reimbursed for it), so I will need to monitor it more closely. Although I was peeved at first that they didn’t just take my word for it, this seems fair to me in retrospect – despite somewhat widespread existence in this and other BMW threads, this (rather extensive) work will not be done for free, unless your car specifically exhibits this issue, especially while being in their possession.

Moreover, he also acknowledged that, while this issue exists, it is not proliferated on S55 motors as I made it sound like. Lastly, he also pointed out that S55 motors have proven to be very reliable since their release in 2014, so in general, I shouldn’t worry about it too much - valvetronic actuators seemingly are robust enough and degrade slowly and don't just suddenly fail. However, if the ticking noise does happen again on my car, I should just take a video of it and send it to them. They will in turn ensure that the proper parts will be ordered: primarily the valvetronic motor itself and the camshaft (along with the replacing all the corresponding gaskets and screws which are seemingly 1-time use).

This is a known issue to BMW, and not as common as we may think; simply take all of the videos you can and email it to them, they should be proof enough that it occurs on YOUR car.

Hope the above helps others having this issue.

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 11-03-2020 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Edited for content: valvetronic motor operate intake valves only.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #191
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
According to my dealer's Shop Foreman, to correctly resolve this problem is to replace both the valvetronic motor + the camshaft. But some dealers may opt in replacing the motor at first...
      11-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #192
Nisse Järnet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 S55 swapped

Just to clarify, valvetronic only works on the intake valves, it has nothing to do with the exhaust side.
And if the valvetronic motor fails, the intake valves won't open at all, or open fully. (If the valvetronic motor locks up, it could be in any position between fully closed or open)
This should not harm anything mechanically really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Given my limited understanding, the main purpose of the valvetronic motor (aka actuator) is that it automatically alters the position and the timing of the intake + exhaust valves. Alongside the VANOS system, it works by actuating a camshaft that adjusts the (lifting) position and the timing of these valves. The danger is that when it fails, the valves could remain stuck, leading to one or more of the following:

• Oil leaks
• Lost power
• Engine misfires and/or
• Starting difficulties

I too have heard this ticking noise upon unlocking my car at least a couple of times in my S55 motor (have a '19 M2C with about 5k miles). I had my car at the dealer all last week (brought it in for a different concern, but also asked them to check on this). They could not duplicate the ticking noise, so no work has been done towards fixing it.

Now, during my conversation w/ the Shop Foreman when I picked up my M2C yesterday, he said that I should get this issue fixed when/if symptoms do increase. He didn’t doubt me, but without specific proof that it occurs on my car, they can’t submit the warranty work to BMW AG (and thus get reimbursed for it), so I will need to monitor it more closely. Although I was peeved at first that they didn’t just take my word for it, this seems fair to me in retrospect – despite somewhat widespread existence in this and other BMW threads, this (rather extensive) work will not be done for free, unless your car specifically exhibits this issue, especially while being in their possession.

Moreover, he also acknowledged that, while this issue exists, it is not proliferated on S55 motors as I made it sound like. Lastly, he also pointed out that S55 motors have proven to be very reliable since their release in 2014, so in general, I shouldn’t worry about it too much - valvetronic actuators seemingly are robust enough and degrade slowly and don't just suddenly fail. However, if the ticking noise does happen again on my car, I should just take a video of it and send it to them. They will in turn ensure that the proper parts will be ordered: primarily the valvetronic motor itself and the camshaft (along with the replacing all the corresponding gaskets and screws which are seemingly 1-time use).

This is a known issue to BMW, and not as common as we may think; simply take all of the videos you can and email it to them, they should be proof enough that it occurs on YOUR car.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #193
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
Just to clarify, valvetronic only works on the intake valves, it has nothing to do with the exhaust side.
And if the valvetronic motor fails, the intake valves won't open at all, or open fully. (If the valvetronic motor locks up, it could be in any position between fully closed or open)
I stand corrected, I appreciate you pointing that out (tack så mycket): yes, the valvetronic works with intake valves only, I edited my post accordingly. I was thinking more about the VANOS, which varies the timing on both intake and exhaust camshafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
This should not harm anything mechanically really.
This actually makes more sense...this thread is 3-4 years old by now, and I haven't seen any catastrophic issues being reported on this matter. Apparently, the only symptom is that ticking noise upon waking up the car, without drivability impacts. Regardless, I still left the possible problems in my post as they were relayed to me by the shop foreman himself...or at least that's how I understood him, with face mask on and all. Don't see why he would outline these issues if they weren't true...
      11-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #194
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
This actually makes more sense...this thread is 3-4 years old by now, and I haven't seen any catastrophic issues being reported on this matter. Apparently, the only symptom is that ticking noise upon waking up the car, without drivability impacts. Regardless, I still left the possible problems in my post as they were relayed to me by the shop foreman himself...or at least that's how I understood him, with face mask on and all. Don't see why he would outline these issues if they weren't true...
My dealer made it sound like it was only a noise issue also and that it making that noise wasn't at risk for other types of harm/damage. Sounds God awful though...like a jackhammer in your engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #195
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My dealer made it sound like it was only a noise issue also and that it making that noise wasn't at risk for other types of harm/damage. Sounds God awful though...like a jackhammer in your engine bay.
Despite our frustration that we have a gosh-awful jack hammer noise in our 65k+ cars, I would like to give BMW dealerships a little more credit; some of our cars are still in warranty, or at least this concern was brought to their attention within the first 4 yrs of ownership by the majority of owners. Most of this work should/would have been billed back to BMW AG, thus more revenue for them. So it is in their best interest to get this issue fixed...

The way I see it, the reason why this thread has grown this big is that the ticking noise is intermittent, without a specific or repeatable sequence of events that help trigger it; thus it isn't easily recorded by us or can't be forced at will while at the dealer.

I think I will choose not to lose sleep over it; if it happens again, I'll record it and send it to the dealer.

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 11-03-2020 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #196
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
However, if the ticking noise does happen again on my car, I should just take a video of it and send it to them. They will in turn ensure that the proper parts will be ordered: primarily the valvetronic motor itself and the camshaft (along with the replacing all the corresponding gaskets and screws which are seemingly 1-time use).

Not at my dealer. Showed them videos of my car. They said they had to witness in person. It was dumb luck for me that it happened while my car was in for a different service. Glad it's over now.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #197
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
However, if the ticking noise does happen again on my car, I should just take a video of it and send it to them. They will in turn ensure that the proper parts will be ordered: primarily the valvetronic motor itself and the camshaft (along with the replacing all the corresponding gaskets and screws which are seemingly 1-time use).

Not at my dealer. Showed them videos of my car. They said they had to witness in person. It was dumb luck for me that it happened while my car was in for a different service. Glad it's over now.
Awesome- glad you got it fixed!!

The point you raised is part of the issue: BMW NA doesn't have a nationwide SOP on how to address this particular concern. Some dealers accept recorded videos by owners as proof enough, while others do not.
      11-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #198
Nisse Järnet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 S55 swapped

Quote:
I stand corrected, I appreciate you pointing that out (tack så mycket): yes, the valvetronic works with intake valves only, I edited my post accordingly. I was thinking more about the VANOS, which varies the timing on both intake and exhaust camshafts.

Varsågod

Has it ever been established what the cause of this noise is?
When taking my head apart I can't really find that many parts that could cause this other than lifters or if the valvetronic springs are bad somehow so the intermediate rockers is not held down with the springs properly. (Or how to explain it)
Or if the valvetronic motor is confused and is slapping the valvetronic cam repeatedly on the valvetronic cam stopper, but that seems really unlikely.

Edit: Looked at the first post again, and it sounds like the valvetronic motor slapping the stop or just engaging the worm gear back/forth repeatedly.

I thought it was more like a idle tick
Appreciate 0