R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

04-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
The dreaded flying rock on the I-95 south

GF and I decided to take a long weekend to Busch Gardens and Williamsburg. Pushed to get out of DC before rush hour, got a good clip going on the 95 only a couple dozen miles before the I-64 turnoff when *CRACK*

I didn't even see whatever it was coming at me, but of course I was trying to get past a large open bed tractor trailer when it flew into my windshield.

What was a dime size impact mark and inch long cracks turned into 6 or 7 inches literally five minutes later. Rain this weekend too...hmmmm.

Already have an appointment via USAA/Safelite for after the weekend. Asked for an OEM windshield due to the HUD, sensors, etc.; should know soon if that's approved.

For the next few days though, I'm that guy driving around in a BMW with a cracked windshield
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Superhiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Saphire Black M4

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that, I had the same happen about a month ago. Are you going to get satélite to do the calibration afterward, or will you go to the dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
GF and I decided to take a long weekend to Busch Gardens and Williamsburg. Pushed to get out of DC before rush hour, got a good clip going on the 95 only a couple dozen miles before the I-64 turnoff when *CRACK*

I didn't even see whatever it was coming at me, but of course I was trying to get past a large open bed tractor trailer when it flew into my windshield.

What was a dime size impact mark and inch long cracks turned into 6 or 7 inches literally five minutes later. Rain this weekend too...hmmmm.

Already have an appointment via USAA/Safelite for after the weekend. Asked for an OEM windshield due to the HUD, sensors, etc.; should know soon if that's approved.

For the next few days though, I'm that guy driving around in a BMW with a cracked windshield
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhiro View Post
Sorry to hear that, I had the same happen about a month ago. Are you going to get satélite to do the calibration afterward, or will you go to the dealer?

Quote:

The Safelite claims person mentioned something about calibration which is why I have to go all the way out to their center in Columbia MD instead of them coming to me.

What exactly needs to be calibrated? Is it better done at a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
FAKE__NEWS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
The Safelite claims person mentioned something about calibration which is why I have to go all the way out to their center in Columbia MD instead of them coming to me.

What exactly needs to be calibrated? Is it better done at a dealer?
The KAFAS system. I had my first one done at Safelite and wasn't impressed. I paid an extra $200 over my $50 glass deductible and got an OEM windscreen installed at a dealer after that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I feel your pain my friend, hopefully it will be back to new in no time.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Ouch sorry to hear. At least it wasn't bodywork.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKE__NEWS View Post
The KAFAS system. I had my first one done at Safelite and wasn't impressed. I paid an extra $200 over my $50 glass deductible and got an OEM windscreen installed at a dealer after that.
This is why people think cars are too complicated now. You have to calibrate something just because you got a new windshield? Wow.

It makes sense when you stop and think about what system you are calibrating... it's just surprising.
      04-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #8
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Well, Safelite in their infinite genius didn't have the right part in stock when I showed up for my appointment. They ordered a windscreen that wasn't compatible with my lane departure warning system.

I waited while they called a nearby BMW dealer to order a replacement with my VIN. New appointment for this Friday. Should be covered under my Comprehensive in any case. I'll have Safelite do the calibrations too. I've seen in other forum posts that apparently even some dealers often just use Safelite to do windshield install and calibration?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #9
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKE__NEWS View Post
This is why people think cars are too complicated now. You have to calibrate something just because you got a new windshield? Wow.

It makes sense when you stop and think about what system you are calibrating... it's just surprising.
Yes you need euro coding for the transparency of the windshield....but I think icarly can do it for free🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Let us know how it goes!
      04-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
Rockshaker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, MG 318i 1997

I had my windshield replaced by Safelite. They let me watch the entire process. Here's the reference for the OEM windshields.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=22755077
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #12
Rockshaker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, MG 318i 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshaker View Post
I had my windshield replaced by Safelite. They let me watch the entire process. Here's the reference for the OEM windshields.

Here's my install pics at Safelite.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=22782643
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #13
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Here's my install pics at Safelite.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=22782643
They seem to have done a good job. I wasn't on the shop floor but I was sitting in the lobby where I had a clear line of sight through to the guy working on my car.

Took him a long time to get it out; they said it was more difficult than they expected. But I didn't find any damage around it on a quick inspection.

Was hard to get a good view, and unfortunately they couldn't calibrate the ADAS because it was raining so now I have to do that separately. Glad to have a replacement OEM windshield in place though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
woobiee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/F82

I'm already on my third windshield! All of them OEM. These windshields are so easily chipped now -- my E46 had only one replacement windshield in the 16 years I had it.
      04-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #15
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobiee View Post
I'm already on my third windshield! All of them OEM. These windshields are so easily chipped now -- my E46 had only one replacement windshield in the 16 years I had it.
Where did go for your replacement? Do you have the ADAS option too?
      04-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
woobiee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Where did go for your replacement? Do you have the ADAS option too?
I had it done by the dealer: BMW of Silver Spring. Geico allowed me to choose where to have it done and I just paid the $250 deductible. The glass has Pilkington-BMW logos on it so I think it's OEM. Not sure what the ADAS is, but the HUD still works fine.
      04-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #17
ALF6172
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey F82

That sucks! I literally just got one on the 95 yesterday. Currently looking at places. What was all the parts they replaced for you?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #18
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF6172 View Post
That sucks! I literally just got one on the 95 yesterday. Currently looking at places. What was all the parts they replaced for you?
Bummer!

Just the windshield. They charged $220 labor, about $40 worth of parts (the adhesive, eurathane, etc.,) and the windshield was OEM from a nearby dealer, cost around $750. They threw in "advanced" wipers for free for screwing up my original appointment.

Covered under my Comprehensive so I just paid my deductible.
Appreciate 0