Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
BBoyM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition AW/SO

Garage List
If I remove my headlights for bumper repairs, do they need to be readjusted?

I recently picked up a CPO 2018 M2 Competion. I am going to have the front bumper refinished to remove several chips/pits so that I can apply PPF to the entire front end.

The LED headlights will have to be removed to accomplish this. Does anyone know if the headlights have to be realigned upon reinstallation?

Thank in advance.
      09-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

I would say so.
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      09-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Yes
Also when installing back you will need to align them on the screws otherwise your bumper gaps will be off
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      09-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
BBoyM3
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Yes
Also when installing back you will need to align them on the screws otherwise your bumper gaps will be off
Thanks for the feedback. Can you please elaborate a bit more on "align them on the screws otherwise your bumper gaps will be off?"
      09-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoyM3 View Post
Quote:
Yes
Thanks for the feedback. Can you please elaborate a bit more on "align them on the screws otherwise your bumper gaps will be off?"
Check out my removal video
One of the mistakes I made was when the bumper cover came off I did not mark at what height the headlamps sat. Be sure to somehow mark the screws because on the screws that are holding the headlamp to the body you can adjust them up or down. If you tighten the screws and a headlamp is adjusted down too much once you put the bumper cover off everything will be misaligned

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
BBoyM3
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One of the mistakes I made was when the bumper cover came off I did not mark at what height the headlamps sat. Be sure to somehow mark the screws because on the screws that are holding the headlamp to the body you can adjust them up or down. If you tighten the screws and a headlamp is adjusted down too much once you put the bumper cover off everything will be misaligned

Thanks for the video. The question I should have asked was whether or not the headlights will have to be removed if the front bumper is removed. Your video answers the real question - no, the headlights do not need to be removed to if the bumper is removed. So, thanks for answering the question I should have asked.
      09-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

remove bumper, leave headlights, line up bumper and adjust before tightening the bumper screws.

If you remove the headlights, you will need to aim them at a wall and turn on, adjust to proper height and angle, then tighten down.
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      09-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Quote:
Can you advise which screws you are talking about here? I had some debris crack a headlight and a shop will be replacing the entire headlight assembly. Would like to make sure they don't unknowingly have this problem.
Appreciate 0