Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #67
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehicle View Post
It's not a caddy, these cars don't float like a butterfly, but they do sting like a bimmer (cars movie reference). But for real, these cars have rigid suspension profiles. Nature of the beast. I will say this; I installed swift springs on my f80, and it's even more annoying. There is no such thing as having any type of drink in the cup holders. One single bump in the road and the interior is covered. People hate riding in my "fancy" car.
Which is all i was getting at, i had never driven this car inside a city until i moved into the city, i had no reason to drive there especially during covid. So i was quite surprised how brutal it was at low speed and on shitty roads.

This car needs to be driven very hard to get it's best, that's plain and simple. If i drive it hard everything feels amazing, the moment i let off it feels rough, the throttle response dies down, the dct becomes a little lazy and laggy, maybe i need a software update.

If you were to compare these cars in Porsche terms i think this is more GT3RS than it is Carrera, in my opinion it leads quite a lot to the performance side and i love that i was just quite surprised.

Also another note, the cooling on this car is absolutely insane, in Sport+ here if you aren't driving it like an absolute lunatic the oil temps will drop extensively.

By the way, does anyone know if this car has DCT cooling as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #68
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Never blamed the car, i asked if there are any changes that can be done as i went from living in suburbia to a 30 km/h first gear burnout roads.

The issue isn't the roads or suspension, the issue is i can't drive it fast enough to warm up any components, i don't want to be the guy redlining first 14 times in a row in a congested road to get the car up to speed.

I love the car, all i am saying is the whole "this car is the best dual duty" shit needs to stop. This car is not a dual duty car, it's far closer to a flat out track car than it is to the middle of the spectrum and i have realized that moving to a place where driving at low speeds with plenty of start stop, tight turns, etc are in order.

Seeing as i can live with it i much prefer it this way i was just wondering if anyone had any great ideas on how to get the dct and diff to get up to temps.

For anyone out there dct in S3 is actually smoother in a cold start and in city roads than S1 and S2. S1 and S2 are incredibly clunky. As for getting rid of the raspy exhaust note.

I was able to do it in the suburbs as i can go WOT but in the city it's impossible so i have to live with the diesel like sound.
On the bolded parts, are you saying you warm up your car from cold start by redlining it and going WOT? Where in the suburbs of Toronto is it OK to do this? If this is all true then thank goodness I don't buy used because I'd hate to be the next owner of your car or your neighbor when you WOT every morning!

I've driven the F80 for 4 years in Toronto through all parts of downtown, midtown, uptown and suburbs and have never encountered any of the clunkiness or whatever else you experienced. With due respect, have you considered the issue may not be with the car or the road but rather with the way you drive?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #69
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
On the bolded parts, are you saying you warm up your car from cold start by redlining it and going WOT? Where in the suburbs of Toronto is it OK to do this? If this is all true then thank goodness I don't buy used because I'd hate to be the next owner of your car or your neighbor when you WOT every morning!

I've driven the F80 for 4 years in Toronto through all parts of downtown, midtown, uptown and suburbs and have never encountered any of the clunkiness or whatever else you experienced. With due respect, have you considered the issue may not be with the car or the road but rather with the way you drive?
Maybe OP beat on the car too hard and now it runs terrible

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #70
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post

Maybe OP beat on the car too hard and now it runs terrible
No i let the car warm up to operating oil temps, and then i beat the piss out of it because i bought an M car and i will use it like an M car.

What i am complaining about is that in low speeds and shitty city roads the car feels lazy, and clunky, it's not just me.

I have had passengers put around the city with me and we have had conversations about how different the car is.

Shifting in S3 seemed to have solved a lot of the issues by experiment and so has resetting adaptations, i also flashed the car back to stock and got some of that low end livery back.

For now it's back to being solid.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #71
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Sounds like you need a different car. We just bought an RS6 Avant and it feels so comfortable to drive on these types of roads compared to the F80 but I miss that feeling of the F80 and its connection to what's going on. I've yet to drive a car that manages to be agile and performance-oriented AND also comfortable on f'ed up city roads. I think the F80 strikes the balance very well but if you don't - time to try a new car!

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 1
65fastback1137.00
      05-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #72
bruce911_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

I have been driving my M4 as a daily driver in all kinds of conditions for over 6 years and 97k miles. No it’s not a luxury car but I find it comfortable, nimble and perfect for my use. Now the problem is what will I replace it with when the time comes. Not sold on the new M4 yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:46 AM   #73
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If you drive through parts of downtown Philly at 20mph you're gonna spill coffee and hit your head on the roof...dips and holes all over. I know what OP means...sometimes you drive like a snake around all the road hits. I tried going Comfort but then the dips bottom me out. I'd rather bang teeth than bump stops.
      05-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #74
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

You gotta put the Dct in d2/s2, be in efficient/comfort/comfort and it'll feel like a commuter car if you're soft and good with throttle modulation

If you've done all that and still feel like it's not "normal" enough lease yourself an accord or buy something to commute

You can look into M5's as a replacement just avoid the competition model as I heard the base is a lot more refined which is what you'd prefer (2017+)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #75
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

DCT is what makes this car trash but it's an improvement on SMG which was complete dogshit. My mom's E63 never had this kind of problem.

I don't care what setting you're in a 100K car should not require pampering to get moving. Reminds me of the turbo E36 M3 I had back in the day, but at least then I knew that it was the shitty aftermarket UUC clutch that was the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #76
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
DCT is what makes this car trash but it's an improvement on SMG which was complete dogshit. My mom's E63 never had this kind of problem.

I don't care what setting you're in a 100K car should not require pampering to get moving. Reminds me of the turbo E36 M3 I had back in the day, but at least then I knew that it was the shitty aftermarket UUC clutch that was the culprit.
I'd argue it's a great gearbox tbh. Doesn't hook up like a torque converter auto but equally it bangs in shifts so much harder and cleaner. When driving in comfort/efficient and D1 it's perfectly good in traffic - just need to remember it's an automated manual not an auto box so a little throttle is needed to get it moving off and it's good as gold. Everyone's tolerances for comfort are different though and I get why BMW swapped to the ZF8 speed in the M3 and M5 (to enable xdrive, hit emission targets and offer people a more comfortable daily).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #77
jlee403
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Time to trade it in for a 6 speed lol
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #78
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
No i let the car warm up to operating oil temps, and then i beat the piss out of it because i bought an M car and i will use it like an M car.

What i am complaining about is that in low speeds and shitty city roads the car feels lazy, and clunky, it's not just me.

I have had passengers put around the city with me and we have had conversations about how different the car is.

Shifting in S3 seemed to have solved a lot of the issues by experiment and so has resetting adaptations, i also flashed the car back to stock and got some of that low end livery back.

For now it's back to being solid.
Have you tried flashing the GTS DCT tune? It seriously makes a massive difference in day to day driving. The transmission is much quicker to engage and much more seamless. Zero clutch slippage when taking off or at low speeds - it just goes and is much more decisive when you want to engage the clutch from a stop. No delay in shifting from drive to reverse either, so 3 pointers are much less awkward to perform.