Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
SY8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

GTS Flash

Hi guys

I have a 67 plate M4 Comp and am thinking of getting the GTS flash when the warranty runs out.

Any thoughts on this in terms of the improvement it will have and also would this increase the pops and crackles or any other ways to increase the pops and crackles without any exhuast modifications.

For the GTS flash, any suggestions on who to best carry this out?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY8 View Post
Hi guys

I have a 67 plate M4 Comp and am thinking of getting the GTS flash when the warranty runs out.

Any thoughts on this in terms of the improvement it will have and also would this increase the pops and crackles or any other ways to increase the pops and crackles without any exhuast modifications.

For the GTS flash, any suggestions on who to best carry this out?

Thanks in advance
The GTS DCT flash is a must. Vast improvement.
Any decent coder can do it remotely for you. I'd recommend Zed coding. Expect to pay approximately £150 for this. Included in the price will be GTS LSD, TC, steering & CS EDC if you want it.
More pops, bangs & burbles is ECU mapping though. No need to change the exhaust.

So really, you should consider BM3. You should be able to get it for around £400. Try Tom Wrigley Performance.
I'd suggest stage 1 map if your cars not modded. It's included in the price. You don't have to use it if you don't want more power. You also get all the free maps, which include GTS or CS if you fancy just a modest power increase.
As a bonus, it also gives you the GTS transmission flash.
With BM3, you can tailor any combination for exhaust noise. It really is an excellent package for the cost. You can even just stick with your stock map if you like but still play around with the exhaust burbles settings.
      11-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
ASRman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 competition 2018

+1 I had mine done by Zed Coding recently. Very noticeable difference. Faster crisper changes upshift and downshifts. But also somehow smoother!? Mines a 2018 M3 competition DCT. Steering didn't notice a massive difference just felt slightly lighter in all modes and a tad more responsive. Biggest change is the DCT flash IMO. I wouldn't worry too much about warranty. The TCU is not locked so this flash should not trigger any tamper detection codes unlike a DME unlock for example. Meaning it's easily flashable back to stock without much trace at all. On top of that it's BMW software for an identical transmission. Mines still under warranty and I'm not concerned at all. If anything the smoother shifts should ensure the rest of the car and box gets and easier life
Appreciate 2
SY81.00
t5pilot977.50
      11-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
SY8
Enlisted Member
Rep

So something like a BM3 Stage 1 with GTS flash and then customise the exhuast burble settings?

For a BM3 Stage 1, would everything else stock be fine I.e. wouldn't put a strain on any stock parts?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Just buy Bootmod3 and then you'll get this and also a stage 1 map as well.
Appreciate 2
SY81.00
      11-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Exactly. You don't have to use the stage1 map if you don't want, you can stay stock tune if you wish, but still alter the various parameters available.
      11-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Just buy Bootmod3 and then you'll get this and also a stage 1 map as well.
I have BM3 and love it. I just went stage 1 with 99RON fuel which is included as noted above. Excellent fun.

I'd just warn that the GTS included with BM3 hadn't used to be the latest version that you get from the likes of Zed Coding, though it is an improvement over my MY17 standard. Neither does it include the MDM diff changes that I understand are worth having too.
      11-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
I have BM3 and love it. I just went stage 1 with 99RON fuel which is included as noted above. Excellent fun.

I'd just warn that the GTS included with BM3 hadn't used to be the latest version that you get from the likes of Zed Coding, though it is an improvement over my MY17 standard. Neither does it include the MDM diff changes that I understand are worth having too.
When you update your stage 1 mate, look in the transmission folder too. GTS transmission is now on April 2019 version. And there's the CS transmission you can try too, if that floats your boat... I didn't bother trying it, but did update the GTS, just for the sake of it.
      11-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
When you update your stage 1 mate, look in the transmission folder too. GTS transmission is now on April 2019 version. And there's the CS transmission you can try too, if that floats your boat... I didn't bother trying it, but did update the GTS, just for the sake of it.
Oh great shout - thank you!
      11-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #10
JimBatt20
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post

What sort of Power and Torque gains are you seeing?

Worth the money?

Cheers.
      11-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBatt20 View Post
What sort of Power and Torque gains are you seeing?

Worth the money?

Cheers.
I've not had it on a rolling road before or after so can't give anything other than seat of the pants experience. I'm very happy with the noticeable increase. Must be around 500 flywheel I'd estimate.
      11-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
mbj666
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 CP - Frozen Black

Quote:
Any decent coder can do it remotely for you. I'd recommend Zed coding. Expect to pay approximately £150 for this. Included in the price will be GTS LSD, TC, steering & CS EDC if you want it.
More pops, bangs & burbles is ECU mapping though. No need to change the exhaust.

So really, you should consider BM3. You should be able to get it for around £400. Try Tom Wrigley Performance.
I'd suggest stage 1 map if your cars not modded. It's included in the price. You don't have to use it if you don't want more power. You also get all the free maps, which include GTS or CS if you fancy just a modest power increase.
With BM3, you can tailor any combination for exhaust noise. It really is an excellent package for the cost. You can even just stick with your stock map if you like but still play around with the exhaust burbles settings.

hi t5 pilot got the GTS full flash with CS traction what is the CS EDC setting flash like? any experience/benefits with this (i have m performance HAS upgrade too, if it is still compatible with this)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #13
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj666 View Post
Quote:

hi t5 pilot got the GTS full flash with CS traction what is the CS EDC setting flash like? any experience/benefits with this (i have m performance HAS upgrade too, if it is still compatible with this)
The ride was possibly marginally better. I've been on Eibach pros since just after buying the car.
But the stock shocks are poor. They're really the root of the poor ride, which I appreciate is a subjective viewpoint.
My Bilsteins have their own settings. How these settings compare to BMW's, I have no idea as the damping's in a completely different league.
      11-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
mbj666
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 CP - Frozen Black

Quote:
The ride was possibly marginally better. I've been on Eibach pros since just after buying the car.
But the stock shocks are poor. They're really the root of the poor ride, which I appreciate is a subjective viewpoint.
My Bilsteins have their own settings. How these settings compare to BMW's, I have no idea as the damping's in a completely different league.
hmm sounds like marginal/subjective gain at best then

what bilstein shock did you go with out of curiosity
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj666 View Post
Quote:
hmm sounds like marginal/subjective gain at best then

what bilstein shock did you go with out of curiosity
B6 damptronic. They're simply awesome, honestly. Best money I've spent on the car. Scroll down a page or two, I did a quick review post.
      12-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #16
SY8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys

On a stage 1 BM3 remap, would you need to change the spark plugs or can stay stock? If change, any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:18 AM   #17
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys

On a stage 1 BM3 remap, would you need to change the spark plugs or can stay stock? If change, any recommendations?
They can stay stock, no issues. I'm still on stock plugs & have been stage 2 tuned nearly 2 years.
When my plug service comes around, BM3 do recommend NGK Iridium plugs (they run cooler apparently), gapped to 0.2mm iirc. So will probs get those for when it goes in. But not before, as I think it's just unnecessary expense.
      12-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #18
SY8
Enlisted Member
Rep

So everything can stay stock on a Stage 1 and no issues either for the DCT gearbox with additional power?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #19
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So everything can stay stock on a Stage 1 and no issues either for the DCT gearbox with additional power?
No issues at all mate.
      01-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #20
SY8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Guys, so Zed coding best if just want a GTS flash and some coding or Tom Wrigley Performance best if a BM3 stage 1 remap (with the GTS flash included)?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #21
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Guys, so Zed coding best if just want a GTS flash and some coding or Tom Wrigley Performance best if a BM3 stage 1 remap (with the GTS flash included)?

Thanks in advance
That would be my choice
      01-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
SY8
Enlisted Member
Rep

On a GTS flash only, what would the expected enhancement on the burbles on a comp pack in terms of more prominent/louder and frequent?

Would it be adjustable on a GTS flash (without BM3) or would just match the burbles on a GTS?

Cheers guys
Appreciate 0