Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #45
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M DGM/SO

Geez, that's awful. My CCBs make the usual sounds that many have documented in the forum but never heard anything like the videos. I recall a thread earlier last year from an early adopter whose F8X MCCBs were determined to be warped or somehow out of tolerance and were replaced under warranty by BMW. I think his symptoms were vibration and noise. Almost sounds like the M5 brakes are warped or the pads have worn very unevenly leading to the cyclic sound. Good luck and keep us posted.
      12-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #46
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j997tt View Post
Geez, that's awful. My CCBs make the usual sounds that many have documented in the forum but never heard anything like the videos. I recall a thread earlier last year from an early adopter whose F8X MCCBs were determined to be warped or somehow out of tolerance and were replaced under warranty by BMW. I think his symptoms were vibration and noise. Almost sounds like the M5 brakes are warped or the pads have worn very unevenly leading to the cyclic sound. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yeah, I'm wondering myself what BMW is going to do. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #47
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep

I am confident you will be taken care of. Keep up apprised. Good luck.
      12-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #48
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Because one BMW dealership decide to just ignore my complaint about MCCB noise, i had to open them up myself and found these abnormal pads
Pls refer to my post http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1197705
You can see some photos.
Another BMW dealership is trying to help me with this matter and i am waiting for them to get back to me.
Let's see how ignorant BMW NA answers back regards to the matter.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #49
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
The squeak is cool... makes people look at the brakes and
      12-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #50
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
The squeak is cool... makes people look at the brakes and
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #51
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirestate View Post
Does this sound normal to you? Mines are so freakin loud and annoying.
i hope BMW NA will not say this is normal characteristics of carbon ceramic brakes.

Quote:
I am confident you will be taken care of. Keep up apprised. Good luck.
PUMA case came back and said that the noise is normal.

On top of that. I tried to get a trade in number for my car, it seems like the CCBs dont trade in higher than a non-CCB car.
Man, I really F'ed up this decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #52
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Do you guys ever actually go to at least 100mph and bang the brakes on, try it as it works wonders
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #53
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep

Really sorry to hear. Does not bode well for the rest of us CCB users. I am not surprised at the trade in value issue given the bad rap CCBs are being given out there on the Internet. But sucks given the major investment. Not sure what's next for us early adopters. I don't want to retrofit steels or 20's as it defeats the purpose of the CCBs. These negative outcomes with BMW don't leave us with much leverage. Not sure what to recommend. Again, sorry for the outcome.

I am guessing BMW is beginning to recognize there's a problem but does not want to set a precedent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post

On top of that. I tried to get a trade in number for my car, it seems like the CCBs dont trade in higher than a non-CCB car.
      12-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #54
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j997tt
Really sorry to hear. Does not bode well for the rest of us CCB users. I am not surprised at the trade in value issue given the bad rap CCBs are being given out there on the Internet. But sucks given the major investment. Not sure what's next for us early adopters. I don't want to retrofit steels or 20's as it defeats the purpose of the CCBs. These negative outcomes with BMW don't leave us with much leverage. Not sure what to recommend. Again, sorry for the outcome.

I am guessing BMW is beginning to recognize there's a problem but does not want to set a precedent...

Quote:

Yeah i agree. Bmw def knows theres an issue.
Im still hopeful. The ccbs are made by brembo right? I may give them a call
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #55
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

I feel for all you CCB buyers. That is just ridiculous, spending that much for a better brake package and have such issues.

I was mix minded when I placed my order on whether I should of got the CCB package but am glad I didn't now. If the stock brakes are insufficient, only then I'll look for bbk. I would prefer to spend the AUD $15k on M performance coil overs and an M performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #56
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvyn View Post
Do you guys ever actually go to at least 100mph and bang the brakes on, try it as it works wonders
Believe it or not, I actually think using the CCB on the track is what caused the squealing issue, for me anyway.
My first trip was to lime rock, hitting 130-135 on the straight braking hard down to 80-90 on turn 1.
I had no squeal before that track day.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #57
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep

Can't hurt to keep pushing. I think the brakes are made by a JV between Brembo and SGL Carbon. They will likely point you directly back to BMW. Sucks man. This situation definitely will have a bearing on my next new car purchase. I want CCBs for all the benefits but not the headaches BMW's setup is dishing out. So maybe a P car again.

Quote:
Yeah i agree. Bmw def knows theres an issue.
Im still hopeful. The ccbs are made by brembo right? I may give them a call
      12-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #58
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Believe it or not, I actually think using the CCB on the track is what caused the squealing issue, for me anyway.
My first trip was to lime rock, hitting 130-135 on the straight braking hard down to 80-90 on turn 1.
I had no squeal before that track day.
Weird , although I've only had mine on for a few weeks and covered about 700 miles I Havnt had a squeak out of them.I gave them a couple of runs of 10x80mph down to 30-40 over 5-6 seconds on each one, then 4x110 down to 70 over about 4 seconds.I cover the brake for about 6-7 seconds when I first jump in it.I think they are fabulous and wonder if they have changed the pad in the retrofit kit after hearing complaints.
They came preset with 80k on front and 60k on the rears, I note now the idrive on the fronts has gone up to 90k.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #59
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Can't hurt to keep pushing. I think the brakes are made by a JV between Brembo and SGL Carbon. They will likely point you directly back to BMW. Sucks man. This situation definitely will have a bearing on my next new car purchase. I want CCBs for all the benefits but not the headaches BMW's setup is dishing out. So maybe a P car again.
I definitely say go for the P-Car. I used to be a believer that you got more for your money with BMW which is still likely true, but I think Porsche is just better engineered. Their interiors may not have higher quality material, but they seem much more solid, and fit/finished nicer.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #60
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep

here is a lil update.
BMW NA did approve my MCCB front pads replacement for free as good will.
They did not admit that there is something wrong with my brakes, but they did do me a favor by replacing them.
Now they don't squeal but I have to put some miles on these bad boys and see if it really got fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #61
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
here is a lil update.
BMW NA did approve my MCCB front pads replacement for free as good will.
They did not admit that there is something wrong with my brakes, but they did do me a favor by replacing them.
Now they don't squeal but I have to put some miles on these bad boys and see if it really got fixed.
Very interesting, when my pads were new they didnt squeal either. Maybe I need to force BMW to replace them. I think the front pads are 500 dollars otherwise.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #62
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting, when my pads were new they didnt squeal either. Maybe I need to force BMW to replace them. I think the front pads are 500 dollars otherwise.

Chris
To be honest idk what caused them to squeak but it started squeaking louder after hard braking. Now with these new pads, im afraid to brake them hard
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #63
WarrenRB
Rep
Drives: m3

Brake hard is what CCB is made for and it's supposed not to squeak at any braking condition except for track applications.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #64
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
To be honest idk what caused them to squeak but it started squeaking louder after hard braking. Now with these new pads, im afraid to brake them hard
You wont wear them down with daily driving. Only higher temp use will wear down the pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #65
M6GCdriver
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6GC CP,DA+,EP

I bought my F13 M6 used with 20k mi. It now has 30k. I have been desperately trying to figure out a fix for the squeaking CCB. It was BAD. Embarrassing, annoying, etc. I tried activating the anti-lock brakes at 100mph. This seemed to work for a few hours but also brought about the caliper scrape noise when not braking. This noise would eventually go away but not the squeak while braking.

The other day I applied some stainless steel cleaner and then power washed the brake roters and pads. So far, so good after 2 days.

So, for what it's worth, a little cleaner and a good power washing seems to work for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #66
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
The CCBs on my F80 sound almost identical. It's super annoying. I have my car at Prestige BMW right now, they opened a PUMA case to get help from BMW NA.

We'll see what happens.
Do not have CCBs- though I so wish they were made for the 3series...

Anyways, yours is a classic case of TV (thickness variation) due to lack of, infrequent or no bedding in. You can read about it but as the disks develop different layers of whatever carbon produces (differs from metal), in microns, it also sounds differently on different parts of the rotor.

The problem with commuting as in the pic is lots of 'gliding.' These brakes, and all sports brakes, are meant to be braked far more aggressively- when alone and not in such traffic. So BRAKE YOUR BRAKES!

Solution is still bedding in, get the CCBs red-hot once a year (or every 6 months if doing frequent commuting) until they come out blue. Eventually the TV should self- eliminate. CCBs also come out a blue-gray silver look.

Went several times at BMW, no one could figure it out- even after replacing the pads for free. After I bedded mine the first time, noise disappeared forever- except maybe vvv tiny a very cold day morning.

Watch a video on how they do it for sports performance cars.
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 04-16-2016 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0