GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-20-2023, 03:05 AM   #1
edwchow
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Angry DCT Doesn't Rev Match - Software Issue???

After getting to operating temperature in my 2015 F80 M3 and then parking for 5-10 mins, then starting it and driving off, the DCT suddenly forgets how to rev match when slowing down into second gear. Here are two instances of this happening (take note of the noise and the visible jerk when this happens):

Slowing down from 50km/h

Slowing down from 20km/h, you can see the camera shaking too when the DCT downshifts to second

This happens for 2-3 minutes when I start driving, and goes away afterwards. There are no error codes, and the DCT behaves 100% normally otherwise.

There is another issue that happens sometimes under the same conditions (Parking the car warm, and then driving off a few minutes later), where the clutch seems to engage and disengage multiple times when up-shifting into second gear and accelerating. This causes a repetitive clicking noise that happens for around a second, where it clicks 5-6 times and the car does not accelerate.

I brought it to the dealership for diagnosis, but they couldn't reproduce the issue, which makes sense as I only encounter this issue once or twice a week. Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 02:03 PM   #2
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwchow View Post
After getting to operating temperature in my 2015 F80 M3 and then parking for 5-10 mins, then starting it and driving off, the DCT suddenly forgets how to rev match when slowing down into second gear. Here are two instances of this happening (take note of the noise and the visible jerk when this happens):

Slowing down from 50km/h

Slowing down from 20km/h, you can see the camera shaking too when the DCT downshifts to second

This happens for 2-3 minutes when I start driving, and goes away afterwards. There are no error codes, and the DCT behaves 100% normally otherwise.

There is another issue that happens sometimes under the same conditions (Parking the car warm, and then driving off a few minutes later), where the clutch seems to engage and disengage multiple times when up-shifting into second gear and accelerating. This causes a repetitive clicking noise that happens for around a second, where it clicks 5-6 times and the car does not accelerate.

I brought it to the dealership for diagnosis, but they couldn't reproduce the issue, which makes sense as I only encounter this issue once or twice a week. Any help would be appreciated!
It doesn't rev match when dct drivelogic is in setting 1, only 2 and 3. Setting 1 allows more clutch slippage so I would avoid using it. I might be wrong but think I've seen someone saying setting 1 will rev match if the throttle is applied while down shifting, haven't tried that.

Occasional jerk while slowing down, in my case was fixed 95% via gts dct flash. Happens rarely these days assuming adaptation took some time to learn.

Last edited by F82///M; 10-27-2023 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
csboi379.50
      10-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #3
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Why would a DCT need to rev match when it can literally shift while in gear???
      10-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
csboi
Late Apexer
Rep
Drives: RS/CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
To reduce wear on the clutches.
2018 BMW ///M3 CS • San Marino BlueMPE V2, VRSF SMP, KW HAS, GC CPs, SPL FLCAs + TREs + RUCAs + F&R ELs, Fall-Line RTLs, Team Schirmer offset RDB, Michelin PSC2★, MSI 80mm wheel studs, Core4 FC lug nuts, CSF CC, ESS Tuning CPs, MSR FMCAI, Dinan coils, SLON Workshop tie bar, Endless ME20 + RF650
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 04:22 PM   #5
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
This is like asking why would a stick shift driver need to rev match when he can use the clutch.

Last edited by alex2364; 10-28-2023 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 04:32 PM   #6
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
This is like asking why would a stick shit driver need to rev match when he can use the clutch.
Rev matching makes sense for a manual. For a DCT, the shift takes a nanosecond. But one could always argue that they're real drivers doing real things like yourself. BTW, you spelled shift wrong.
      10-28-2023, 07:16 PM   #7
csboi
Late Apexer
Rep
Drives: RS/CS

Quote:
Rev matching makes sense for a manual blah blah blah
Dude you have your answer. Believe it, or don't. What more do you want?

Hope this helps - https://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-...ansmission.htm
2018 BMW ///M3 CS • San Marino BlueMPE V2, VRSF SMP, KW HAS, GC CPs, SPL FLCAs + TREs + RUCAs + F&R ELs, Fall-Line RTLs, Team Schirmer offset RDB, Michelin PSC2★, MSI 80mm wheel studs, Core4 FC lug nuts, CSF CC, ESS Tuning CPs, MSR FMCAI, Dinan coils, SLON Workshop tie bar, Endless ME20 + RF650
Appreciate 0