Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #23
Face
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Come to think of it I rarely see anyone with a M4 6MT post on the forums...
Hi.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #24
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Hell, my May 2015 build rev matches in Sport+.

I must've been a test mule for the 2018s
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #25
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I called genius and they had no information on this topic at all - other than the F80 disables revmatch in Sport + throttle.

I then spoke with a service advisor at a local dealership who actually had a bmw NA rep on site. Nobody at the dealership including the bmw NA rep had any information about this specific topic.

The dealer did however have a June build F80 CP MT in the showroom (customer sold so he couldn't take it out) and they ran a diagnostic on that car and my car (April build) and he said there is a slightly different software version on the June build vs my April build. But there is no documentation that he could find outlining the exact differences.

He also checked to see if my car was eligible for a software update and it was not. He said to keep checking back to see if/when my car shows eligible for a software update - and once that happens we can update and see if there's any difference.

Just thought I'd share.

If anybody has anything new please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #26
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Thanks so much for taking the car in and sharing your experience - i plan to take mine in when i have time next week and see if they can run diagnostic. If i get a similar response, I will push back and take it from there. BMW making a change that i believe is significant to the driving experience is not fair practice or at least transparent. I'm sure folks may disagree with this assessment or have another perspective and i can respect that. I need to work with BMW to figure out a solution and hopefully it may help others that may feel as strongly as i do about being able to turn off rev-match in at least one engine/throttle setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I called genius and they had no information on this topic at all - other than the F80 disables revmatch in Sport + throttle.

I then spoke with a service advisor at a local dealership who actually had a bmw NA rep on site. Nobody at the dealership including the bmw NA rep had any information about this specific topic.

The dealer did however have a June build F80 CP MT in the showroom (customer sold so he couldn't take it out) and they ran a diagnostic on that car and my car (April build) and he said there is a slightly different software version on the June build vs my April build. But there is no documentation that he could find outlining the exact differences.

He also checked to see if my car was eligible for a software update and it was not. He said to keep checking back to see if/when my car shows eligible for a software update - and once that happens we can update and see if there's any difference.

Just thought I'd share.

If anybody has anything new please let us know.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      09-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #27
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Is this also the case for the M4?
I took delivery of my new M4 today non-ZCP and it has rev match in sport plus It does become disabled with DSC off. Can someone please point me to someone that can code in Cali who can help me with this. I cry every time I downshift.
      09-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #28
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEVO View Post
Thanks so much for taking the car in and sharing your experience - i plan to take mine in when i have time next week and see if they can run diagnostic. If i get a similar response, I will push back and take it from there. BMW making a change that i believe is significant to the driving experience is not fair practice or at least transparent. I'm sure folks may disagree with this assessment or have another perspective and i can respect that. I need to work with BMW to figure out a solution and hopefully it may help others that may feel as strongly as i do about being able to turn off rev-match in at least one engine/throttle setting.
I totally agree with you on this. If I'd test driven cars without rev match and then ordered a new one and it showed up with id be super pissed. That hugely affects 6MT driving experience and thus could/would be a deal breaker for most. You either love it or hate it.

BMW are fools for not making this fully independently selectable - not doing so directly contradicts the spirit of offering a manual in the first place. Killer car otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #29
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I totally agree with you on this. If I'd test driven cars without rev match and then ordered a new one and it showed up with id be super pissed. That hugely affects 6MT driving experience and thus could/would be a deal breaker for most. You either love it or hate it.

BMW are fools for not making this fully independently selectable - not doing so directly contradicts the spirit of offering a manual in the first place. Killer car otherwise.
I was under the impression that Sport Plus would not allow this feature and now I have it unless I have DSC off. I like the safety of having some traction control intervention with sport plus, but I can't take my car back and can't stand the stupid rev matching. I guess it's all traction control off all the time.
      09-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #30
jlhymb
Private
Rep
Drives: ymb

Took delivery of my car today - zcp with 7/28 build date.

Car has rev match in all modes. The only way to turn off rev match on my car is to disable DSC.

Coming from a '15 DCT there are two things I noticed right away:
1. Rev match is quite seamless - I understand why many people enjoy this feature.
2. zcp 6mt vs non-zcp dct, the new car feels easier to control - like it has better manners if you will.
Appreciate 3
instarand208.50
mkoesel7514.50
AIRHEIR443.50
      09-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #31
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:

Word
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #32
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
So if I read this thread right, BMW has altered what parameter controls auto-rev matching.
  • It used to be toggled by the Engine Response control where rev match was enabled in Efficient and Sport but disabled in Sport+.
  • It is now toggled with the DSC, where rev match is active with DSC and MDM but disabled with DSC off.

I wonder what prompted the change

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7514.50
      09-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #33
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Early Oktoberfest
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #34
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
Not sure but around the same time the m2 cs started getting delivered? And iirc Thad’s how the m2 always was programmed?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #35
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
So if I read this thread right, BMW has altered what parameter controls auto-rev matching.
  • It used to be toggled by the Engine Response control where rev match was enabled in Efficient and Sport but disabled in Sport+.
  • It is now toggled with the DSC, where rev match is active with DSC and MDM but disabled with DSC off.

Yep; thats correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
Not sure but around the same time the m2 cs started getting delivered? And iirc Thad’s how the m2 always was programmed?
Agreed. I had the same thought.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #37
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

So strange. Why would the traction control setting have anything do with rev match? What was bmw thinking? Traction control is a key safety setting that the vast majority of drivers do not feel comfortable disabling while rev matching is simply a convenience/nuisance related to driving enjoyment.

Kind of like in the new M5 you can set it to RWD but are forced to disable traction control in doing so. Makes no sense lol.
Appreciate 1
YMB_M3226.50
      09-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #38
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I noticed that If you decode "rev-matching" or either "start car without clutch pedal" it automatically disables the clutch pedal sensor and ALL the related features; i.e. Hill Hold, "anti-stall," ect.

This led me to believe that they're all integrated in one system (ERC, DSC, ect) that operates in tandem with each other. If there was a change in the software or hardware which controls one, it affects all.

It's possible an unlisted part was revised in July 2018, which is the reason for the operation of rev-matching feature's new behavior.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #39
EatMoreLobsters
Lobster Soup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Black/Sakhir

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 335i xDrive  [0.00]
I picked up a zcp on Tuesday and rev matching is happening in sport plus. Going to ask about it at the break in
2013 335i xDrive PWG: Bootmod3 Stage 2 | MPPK | FBO Dinan - CAI - Exhaust (Black) - Intercooler - Big Turbo - Fuel Pump | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | BMS WMI Kit | KW V1 Suspension | Vorsteiner v-ff 103 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
https://www.instagram.com/m3_blake
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #40
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I noticed that If you decode "rev-matching" or either "start car without clutch pedal" it automatically disables the clutch pedal sensor and ALL the related features; i.e. Hill Hold, "anti-stall," ect.

This led me to believe that they're all integrated in one system (ERC, DSC, ect) that operates in tandem with each other. If there was a change in the software or hardware which controls one, it affects all.

It's possible an unlisted part was revised in July 2018, which is the reason for the operation of rev-matching feature new behavior.
I think anti-stall and hill-assist should also be selectable. Further, these items by definition remove total control and introduce automation and thus contradict the spirit of a manual.

They bother me more on principle than in practice. I'm not going to kick the car out of bed over these but I can't fathom how someone thought these should be permanent features. Same person who decided on the rev match, apparently.

And I'm not a 6MT fanboy - owned plenty of SMG cars, but this shit bugs me.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:01 AM   #41
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I get where you're coming from, a purist standpoint but we're in a different generation now; manual or auto, they have to create vehicles that are fairly intuitively operational and appealing to the current touch-screen generation.

I am sure all these new features being augmented to an old mechanical technology (manual) are just to make it easier for the average driver to safely modulate all that power.

Gone are days when a 20-something will take pride in forging through the gears of a cable-clutched manual; an inexperience driver could possibly burn out a clutch in just one day, when close to 500hp is right below their big toe..

Alls I am saying is I don't believe BMW added to all these assistance features to dilute the brand or to mess with us manual drivers but instead to ensure the longevity and safety of the products they are releasing to the populace...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #42
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

The only reason I can think of why BMW has decided to relate DSC Off with Rev Match Off is because DSC Off is what most experienced track drivers use on tracks and this group of drivers tend to do heel-toe.

I praise BMW doing this, but I would want them to give us the options to have Rev Match On or Off in each of these modes instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #43
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
I think anti-stall and hill-assist should also be selectable. Further, these items by definition remove total control and introduce automation and thus contradict the spirit of a manual.

They bother me more on principle than in practice. I'm not going to kick the car out of bed over these but I can't fathom how someone thought these should be permanent features. Same person who decided on the rev match, apparently.

And I'm not a 6MT fanboy - owned plenty of SMG cars, but this shit bugs me.

/rant
I think you are going overboard here. These features do not affect the enjoyment or function of the car at all. You can still easily stall the car if you wish to or roll backwards if you wish to. These are odd items to be bugged by.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #44
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I think you are going overboard here. These features do not affect the enjoyment or function of the car at all. You can still easily stall the car if you wish to or roll backwards if you wish to. These are odd items to be bugged by.
Haha, yeah, I'm not losing any sleep over these as they are, admittedly, very minor annoyances.

I'm really just making conversation about certain automated/non-selectable things that contradict the concept of total control. It's just odd to me that 'manual' option isn't totally manual, at least optionally.

Is hill assist effective and helpful? Absolutely it is. Is it kinda weird/awkward when you've been driving manuals for 25 years? You betcha. Would I turn if off if it were selectable. Without question.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00