Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #1
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I can't find too many threads about this. Got a 2016 m4 with steel brakes never tracked with 40k miles on it.

My iDrive says 60k miles for rear pads and 120k for front pads.

Does this mean my pads are estimated to last until my car is at 60k (rear) and 120k (front) miles? Or I have 60k,120k left? Is this even accurate? I know it depends on driving habits, I don't drive super hard but it is an M so the car definitely takes a beating but I never really drive it hard enough where it would really kill the brakes.

I've heard of people having the iDrive tell them 50,000 for rear pads and then the next day the brake pad light came on. Also heard of people needing a full swap at 40-50k miles and other people being on OEM pads & rotors at 80k+ miles.

What your guys experience like with the pads & rotors life compared to what the CBS/iDrive is telling you?

Does $2.5k for OEM parts & labor at an Indy sound reasonable? Seems to be what I heard off another f80 owner
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
I can't find too many threads about this. Got a 2016 m4 with steel brakes never tracked with 40k miles on it.

Does this mean my pads are estimated to last until my car is at 60k (rear) and 120k (front) miles? Or I have 60k,120k left? Is this even accurate? I know it depends on driving habits, I don't drive super hard but it is an M so the car definitely takes a beating but I never really drive it hard enough where it would really kill the brakes.

I've heard of people having the iDrive tell them 50,000 for rear pads and then the next day the brake pad light came on. Also heard of people needing a full swap at 40-50k miles and other people being on OEM pads & rotors at 80k+ miles.

What your guys experience like with the pads & rotors life compared to what the CBS/iDrive is telling you?

Does $2.5k for OEM parts & labor at an Indy sound reasonable? Seems to be what I heard off another f80 owner

Not sure about the iDrive portion, but I believe the total cost of replacing rotors and pads should be significantly lower than that if you buy your own parts, and if your indy shop doesn't overcharge for labor.

Alrock31 on here is selling the whole brake service kit for $1000 - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1776914

I've gotten a quote of ~$600 for replacing all rotors & pads, though I believe this is on the cheaper side. I'd say your total shouldn't go beyond $2k all-in.
Appreciate 1
Alrock31346.00
      02-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post

Idk how you drive but my iDrive is telling I only have 12K miles left on my front brakes. I am currently at 18,000 miles. My rear is at like 30K miles left. I drive in a lot of stop and go.

TBH, I wouldn't change out the rotors unless you really need to like if it's cracking or if it's warped. You can't resurface drilled rotors. But changing pads are all that you really need and those should run you around 600 bucks parts and labor for OEM. Slap in some Akebonos and you really don't need to change your rotors out.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

For brakes don't put too much stock in the idrive. My wife's car has been sitting at 3100 miles left for the past two years. At the end of warranty check BMW measured the pads and rotors because even the dealership found it odd the brakes kept saying 3100. Swapped in new sensors and reset the brakes to have them continue to sit at 3100. I am treating the brakes like I would on an older car and checking the amount of pad material visually to determine when.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
For brakes don't put too much stock in the idrive. My wife's car has been sitting at 3100 miles left for the past two years. At the end of warranty check BMW measured the pads and rotors because even the dealership found it odd the brakes kept saying 3100. Swapped in new sensors and reset the brakes to have them continue to sit at 3100. I am treating the brakes like I would on an older car and checking the amount of pad material visually to determine when.
Is this an m3/m4?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

6 series. My M4 says something similar to yours and you can easily see the pads. I would take the quoted mileage remaining with a grain of salt. If you drive it nicely or do lots of freeway driving you may see the miles remaining start climbing.
Appreciate 0