EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #23
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAETD M View Post
I love both my E92 and F80 M3's equally, they both are completely different animals and have their own character.

The F80 is definitely the better ALL AROUND car, MUCH more usable power everywhere, steering feels livelier, the car just overall feels sharper and more precise, tech is also much better ect.

One person mentions it feels disconnected, I wouldn't say it feels disconnected compared to the E92, I think the E92 just feels more raw. You feel the engine vibrations through the steering wheel, the engine note tickles your ears, the experience is more visceral. The E92 feels like a race car that was tamed for street use, so in this regard, it feels special.

At the end of the day, they can both make me giggle like a school girl but in different ways. The E92, cracking off shifts at 8400 RPMS and hearing that S65 sing its way to redline is so satisfyingly good. The F80, romp on the gas and you get that roller coaster feeling in your gut combined with precision handling in a lighter and tighter chassis..unbelievable.

All these M cars are amazing, when you have such awesome machines you'll have die-hard fanboys following each generation. E30 owners will say it's not a real M if it weighs more than 2800 lbs, E46 owners will call the E9x fat pigs and not a real M because it has a V8, E9x owners will say the F8x is not a real M because it's turbocharged. One day we might get an AWD M3 with a torque-fill electric motor and G8x owners will have a field day with that one.

Sorry for the ranting, It's hard to give you advise on which to choose since it was such a hard decision for me as well. The only way to satisfy my desires was to own both.

If it's your only car, I'd say do it and get the F80, it's the latest and greatest, most capable, fastest and best handling M3 to date. (probably most reliable as well)
I've also had an E92 and now an F80...and this comment above is bang on...both amazing cars, really special and I would have never sold the E92 if it wasn't for other external circumstances...

If I were you, I would hang on to that special V8 for a while still...but good luck with whatever happens.
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #24
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

I had an '09 manual E90 M3 for 5 years and 50K miles. I liked that car a lot but initial impressions with the F80 (got it a couple of weeks ago) mean I don't miss it even a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #25
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick smith View Post
thanks to all who posted. on one hand im almost glad this car didnt work out, selling/trading in my E92 would have been painful. i really like that car. just wish it had 150 more hp and tq. the power level is outdated for sure. ive had guys in newer stock 5 series keep up with me. kind of sad. but thats not what really makes me want an F80. i come from a Suby ( STI ) and MR2 turbo background, track days race events etc. So im really into turbo cars and setting them up for track days. Turbos are so easy to get more power out of. Not to mention, as you stated above, the F80 is lighter and more nimble, two things that are much better for track days. My E92 is no slouch, but intodays car market, the power is way under what it needs to be.
So at this time, ill keep saving my money, enjoying my E92, and at some point if it works out ill get an F80 and have both. i hope...
Have you thought about supercharging your e92 M3 to upgrade the power level, if that's the reason for considering F80 M3?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #26
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

OP, I would not buy a car that looks like it's been beaten, there are too many others available out there.

I switched from an E93 to an F83, and regret it about 1% of the time. For the other 99%, love the F83.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

'15 M3 are high $40k cars now OP. get one of those, put on full coilovers and 275 wide front and 305 wide rear tires and have at it.

No need to spend $70k++
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #28
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 competition

Update. OP- i got a 2018 M4

So after a lot of hard thinking, I pulled the trigger on a used2018 M4 competition with lots of extras.
Love this car!!! Wow so awesome. I love the feel, turbos, M performance exhaust. 666 wheels. Jas marina blue metallic. So nice looking. 8800 miles when i drove it off the lot.

Ive already done a few upgrades. Rear diffuser, high kick wing, paddle shifters.

Ill miss my E92. But this M4, so nice...
Attached Images

05-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #29
Chris Paul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i MBM, Saddle Brown

Garage List
Congratulations on your M4, looks great! Glad you passed on the first one you looked at, your patience really paid off!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #30
patrick smith
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Paul View Post
Congratulations on your M4, looks great! Glad you passed on the first one you looked at, your patience really paid off!
Ya love this M. But its not without its issues. Who ever had it before removed some stuff and did a few things to it before trading it in. Intakes were lose and missing parts. Door lights were missing, intake ducts were missing, front lip gone, some scratches under front bumper, drivers seat has small seam coming apart. Ive fixed all the missing parts and the dealer i got it from paid for parts.
The seat should be under warranty, so at some point ill have that fixed.
Its got lowering springs on it, and who ever did that install should be slapped. One spring was not seated properly, one front shock was lose. Ugh people are horrible.
But ive fixed everything and its %100 now.
Love driving this M😁🚙👍👍
      11-01-2020, 01:11 AM   #31
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick smith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Paul View Post
Ya love this M. But its not without its issues. Who ever had it before removed some stuff and did a few things to it before trading it in. Intakes were lose and missing parts. Door lights were missing, intake ducts were missing, front lip gone, some scratches under front bumper, drivers seat has small seam coming apart. Ive fixed all the missing parts and the dealer i got it from paid for parts.
The seat should be under warranty, so at some point ill have that fixed.
Its got lowering springs on it, and who ever did that install should be slapped. One spring was not seated properly, one front shock was lose. Ugh people are horrible.
But ive fixed everything and its %100 now.
Love driving this M😁🚙👍👍
It's been over 12 months, could you provide us with a review & comparison to your e92 M3, do you miss that car?
I'm considering trading in my e92 MT ZCP M3 for an F82 MT...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #32
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
I love both my E92 and F80 M3's equally, they both are completely different animals and have their own character.

The F80 is definitely the better ALL AROUND car, MUCH more usable power everywhere, steering feels livelier, the car just overall feels sharper and more precise, tech is also much better ect.

One person mentions it feels disconnected, I wouldn't say it feels disconnected compared to the E92, I think the E92 just feels more raw. You feel the engine vibrations through the steering wheel, the engine note tickles your ears, the experience is more visceral. The E92 feels like a race car that was tamed for street use, so in this regard, it feels special.

At the end of the day, they can both make me giggle like a school girl but in different ways. The E92, cracking off shifts at 8400 RPMS and hearing that S65 sing its way to redline is so satisfyingly good. The F80, romp on the gas and you get that roller coaster feeling in your gut combined with precision handling in a lighter and tighter chassis..unbelievable.

All these M cars are amazing, when you have such awesome machines you'll have die-hard fanboys following each generation. E30 owners will say it's not a real M if it weighs more than 2800 lbs, E46 owners will call the E9x fat pigs and not a real M because it has a V8, E9x owners will say the F8x is not a real M because it's turbocharged. One day we might get an AWD M3 with a torque-fill electric motor and G8x owners will have a field day with that one.

Sorry for the ranting, It's hard to give you advise on which to choose since it was such a hard decision for me as well. The only way to satisfy my desires was to own both.

If it's your only car, I'd say do it and get the F80, it's the latest and greatest, most capable, fastest and best handling M3 to date. (probably most reliable as well)
Always good to hear the opinion of someone who owns 2 cars being compared. Thanks. That being said I don't know how you can say the F80s steering feels "livelier". It feels synthetic, boosted, and numb to me every time I've driven it. When I get back in my 1M after driving an F8X it feels like a vintage race car by comparison where you can feel everything...different level of enjoyment really.

"Latest and greatest" is never a good reason to buy a car, IMO. It's all about feel and as capable as the F80 generation M3 is I think someone who owns an E92 Competition (original poster) is already owning the superior and more special car.

I think stuff like the F80 M3 is good for people who are more into modern cars and laptimes and less into the classic features of cars like road feel and enjoyment. I have found it amazing that of the 4 or 5 F8X M3/M4s I've driven I've never actually found it enjoying. Can't say the same for E92 M3s I've always enjoyed driving them.

Ultimately though different people get fascinated by different things so in the end it's all about what parts of driving are being prioritized.
I dunno what you guys are on. I have driven both as my cousin owns an e92 and i own my f82.

Steering precision and feel are quite a bit better on my F82 in an almost unbearable way as i can feel every single road imperfection through my wheel. I have it on Potenzas though which is what makes the massive difference.

When i was on contis and Michellin later i would agree with all of you, car felt too luxe for my tastes.

The proper tires transform this car, put on potenza's and come back to me about steering feel. You will wish you weren't driving on shitty roads like i am because you feel it all through the wheel. I imagine if you add camber plates, change out the bushings, with the stiffness of this chassis you will have machine gun vibration in your hands
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #33
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Always good to hear the opinion of someone who owns 2 cars being compared. Thanks. That being said I don't know how you can say the F80s steering feels "livelier". It feels synthetic, boosted, and numb to me every time I've driven it. When I get back in my 1M after driving an F8X it feels like a vintage race car by comparison where you can feel everything...different level of enjoyment really.

"Latest and greatest" is never a good reason to buy a car, IMO. It's all about feel and as capable as the F80 generation M3 is I think someone who owns an E92 Competition (original poster) is already owning the superior and more special car.

I think stuff like the F80 M3 is good for people who are more into modern cars and laptimes and less into the classic features of cars like road feel and enjoyment. I have found it amazing that of the 4 or 5 F8X M3/M4s I've driven I've never actually found it enjoying. Can't say the same for E92 M3s I've always enjoyed driving them.

Ultimately though different people get fascinated by different things so in the end it's all about what parts of driving are being prioritized.
I dunno what you guys are on. I have driven both as my cousin owns an e92 and i own my f82.

Steering precision and feel are quite a bit better on my F82 in an almost unbearable way as i can feel every single road imperfection through my wheel. I have it on Potenzas though which is what makes the massive difference.

When i was on contis and Michellin later i would agree with all of you, car felt too luxe for my tastes.

The proper tires transform this car, put on potenza's and come back to me about steering feel. You will wish you weren't driving on shitty roads like i am because you feel it all through the wheel. I imagine if you add camber plates, change out the bushings, with the stiffness of this chassis you will have machine gun vibration in your hands
Which potenzas for the nice steering feel ? There's a bunch of diff potenzas
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #34
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Which potenzas for the nice steering feel ? There's a bunch of diff potenzas
RE71R
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00