R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #23
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by masab321 View Post

You can hear the rattle at 0:11-0:13 secs. Just lasts for 2 secs and disappear as I rev up further. I do not notice it if my windows are down or if am playing loud music.

I am not in a hurry to get it checked. Will bring it up at the next service appointment. Just wanted to post the video to see if you guys have any suggestions for a possible fix.

Thanks.
Sounds like my rattle. Honestly it could be the 3rd brake light. Did you check it yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #24
masab321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp xDrive ; 2021

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheseUncertainTimes View Post
Sounds like my rattle. Honestly it could be the 3rd brake light. Did you check it yet.
I drove the car with the 3rd brake light cover removed and still got this vibrating rattle. If it would have been because of the 3rd light cover I expected it not to occur while driving with cover off.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #25
F82_B67M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 ZCP

I had a very similar or same issue on my F82. Checked everywhere under and around the rear of the vehicle, no luck. Thought maybe it was the third brake light so put some fabric in between but rattle was still there.

Brought it to the dealer, had the service manager ride with me in the car and was able to find that the hat rack, the cover behind the rear seats between trunk and rear glass, was causing the rattle. They had the car for about a week doing other rattles at the time but added some additional adhesive around that area and seemed to have gotten rid of the sound. Been a couple months and rattle hasn't come back.

All covered under warranty. Hope this might help!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #26
masab321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82_B67M View Post
I had a very similar or same issue on my F82. Checked everywhere under and around the rear of the vehicle, no luck. Thought maybe it was the third brake light so put some fabric in between but rattle was still there.

Brought it to the dealer, had the service manager ride with me in the car and was able to find that the hat rack, the cover behind the rear seats between trunk and rear glass, was causing the rattle. They had the car for about a week doing other rattles at the time but added some additional adhesive around that area and seemed to have gotten rid of the sound. Been a couple months and rattle hasn't come back.

Is the rack where the rear speakers are?? Do you know what kind of adhesive did they applied and where exactly? Thanks for the information. I am getting it checked by my dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #27
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf82 View Post
Haven't done anything myself, but have had rear passengers tell me it is causing a bit of a rattle.

Maybe this thread can help you - https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1241733
Another popular thread for DIY rattle fixes that may help now or in the future:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031768
      07-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #28
F82_B67M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Is the rack where the rear speakers are?? Do you know what kind of adhesive did they applied and where exactly? Thanks for the information. I am getting it checked by my dealer tomorrow.
I seem to have misplaced my service receipt but I can call the dealer tomorrow and have a more specific answer for you. But yes, where the speakers are in the rear is where a bulk of the vibration was coming from.

Make sure they clean up the surrounding area, I found residue around the upper areas of the seats when folded down, comes off pretty easily but just annoying craftsmanship.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #29
masab321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I seem to have misplaced my service receipt but I can call the dealer tomorrow and have a more specific answer for you. But yes, where the speakers are in the rear is where a bulk of the vibration was coming from.

Make sure they clean up the surrounding area, I found residue around the upper areas of the seats when folded down, comes off pretty easily but just annoying craftsmanship.
Thanks a lot for this information. I will really appreciate if you can get some specifics from your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #30
F82_B67M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks a lot for this information. I will really appreciate if you can get some specifics from your dealership.
Was able to track down the invoice, made a modified version below. Looks like fabric/felt tape for a majority of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #31
masab321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Was able to track down the invoice, made a modified version below. Looks like fabric/felt tape for a majority of it.
Thanks a lot. Was your vibrating rattle only on hard acceleration too ?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #32
F82_B67M
United_States
Rep

Mostly. Definitely in the higher rpms it became unbearable. Sometimes even when coasting I would hear it rumble.

Hope they're able to find the issue for you tomorrow. I'd recommend having a tech ride in the back so they can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #33
masab321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mostly. Definitely in the higher rpms it became unbearable. Sometimes even when coasting I would hear it rumble.

Hope they're able to find the issue for you tomorrow. I'd recommend having a tech ride in the back so they can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.
Got it checked by the dealership. So I showed them the sound that I recorded. They were not allowing me to ride with SA given the COVID-19. But based on my video the mechanic thought it's the e-brake cable rubbing the drive shaft creating this vibrating noise only at high acceleration. He said his service manager has M3 who had a similar issue. They ended up applying felt tape around the ebrake cable and cold bent it at one point where it goes near the drive shaft. This is as per BMW tech manual that they showed me.

On my drive back to home I did some hard accelerations and so far I have not heard anything. I hope it stays like that now !!
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      07-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #34
F82_B67M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Got it checked by the dealership. So I showed them the sound that I recorded. They were not allowing me to ride with SA given the COVID-19. But based on my video the mechanic thought it's the e-brake cable rubbing the drive shaft creating this vibrating noise only at high acceleration. He said his service manager has M3 who had a similar issue. They ended up applying felt tape around the ebrake cable and cold bent it at one point where it goes near the drive shaft. This is as per BMW tech manual that they showed me.

On my drive back to home I did some hard accelerations and so far I have not heard anything. I hope it stays like that now !!
Glad to hear they were able to fix it. Hopefully it stays that way. Enjoy the drives!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #35
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Try going on the freeway, downshifting into 3rd at around 60 and accelerate aggressively shifting into 4th and 5th at 7k rpm. I would bet you dont hear that vibration. These cars are very rigid in the rear subframe and when you accelerate with trans and engine not on the same page it can manifest in feeling/hearing these symptoms you describe.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #36
TCom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Did this issue stay resolved? I have a similar issue I think are the plastic covers over the child LATCH bracket that I am trying to figure out how to stop rattling under the same hard acceleration circumstances.
Appreciate 0