EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Conundrum: Safari-ish Style Build vs Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro?

So, not sure if you guys know, but I wrapped my Mineral White F80 to a smurfy blue a couple of months ago and have been enjoying my "newish" car since then:

BUT recently having a second child and staying home due to the pandemic, I found that having a sports car is somewhat lacking. I love driving fast, going to the canyons/track and driving my awesome CAE shifter like it was meant to be, but all of those are solitary, albeit selfish, activities. My wife won't let me out as much to go canyon driving or to the track and I feel guilty when sneaking away by myself for a romp, so I started looking at more family oriented activities. My wife does have an Audi Q7 and although its a nice place to be, its so boring. SO, at this point, I am considering selling my F80 and getting into a manual Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro or possibly lifting my Bilstein Damptonic B16 shocks to its highest setting and getting whatever smallish 18 inch wheels that fit with some aggressive All season/terrain tires so I can take the F80 into the dirt camping areas. I don't really want a 3rd car as my wife thinks that is excessive so its really either mod my current F80 or replace it. I guess the good thing about doing a safarish build of my F80 is that I can always lower it back and take it to the track should I want. Do you guys think this is even possible? or If I sell my F80 and get the Taco, will I SOOOOO regret it? I've never owned a truck before but the Taco looks so cool. Also, we wouldnt need to drive my wife's soul sucking Q7. haha jk

Am I nuts or just bored during the pandemic?

Maybe I just have the itch to do something new to my car...ugh..help.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

I think you’re bored but I too would love to have a 4Runner TRD Pro just to do the outdoorsy stuff. I don’t think I would trade the M for the 4x4 though. I would try to own both. In your case why don’t you buy a used older model Taco and start there while keeping the M? Test the waters first. Once the 4x4 mod bug hits you’ll end up spending a fortune.
Appreciate 1
jpy19801578.00
      09-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
I wouldn't do it, but If you're going the truck route buy a full size truck. The Tacoma has become dumb. Tiny on the inside, and yet the exterior is huge.
      09-11-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I do not recommend the Tacoma, especially if you're selling the M3 for it.

The transmission is awful, worst auto I've ever driven. Lazy and sloshy like the worst autoboxes of the 90s. There's a button to improve throttle sensitivity and shift programming, but it's marginally better.

The rear wheels hop like crazy if you give anything more than 50% throttle off the line, and this truck is NOT quick. Traction control basically doesn't work. Spin city and wheel hop. This is with the upgraded Bilstein shocks that the TRD offroad comes with, so the truck is absolutely not underdamped.

The brake feel is the weirdest I've ever experienced in any car in my life. The effort and force for the amount of travel is inconsistent. If you gradually pump to 50%, it will behave normally, but if you slam it to 50% in an emergency situation, the whole truck bucks and skids like you're slamming on the brakes.

These are things you don't really have time to figure out on a test drive, so I'm giving you the best review I can of the worst aspects of the truck.

If you're looking for something that can handle dirt, get a WRX STI and keep it at stock height. It's leagues better of a car than the Tacoma if you just need to get on some dirt paths. And way way more interior room.

Last edited by ntg44; 03-01-2022 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

haha, my man... I think you're a bit stir crazy.

I have a Tundra TRD Off-Road (SR5). Toyota trucks are pure utility, nothing else. And the Taco is far less utility than a Tundra. More fun for playing in the dirt, but if you can't take a canyon drive or go to the track, heading off into the mountains is probably a no as well.

Why not throw on some mild all-terrains and take the Q7 camping?

Not to get too into the psychology of the situation, but nothing wrong with occasional solitude and fun, even for a family man.

I'd let the dust settle on your latest fam addition (congrats), then reevaluate.

Soon enough you might find that you have an ally or allies when it comes to your automotive interests. I do. It's 2 vs 1, me & minime vs wifey on all automotive. We win most of the time.

Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
      09-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Soon enough you might find that you have an ally or allies when it comes to your automotive interests. I do. It's 2 vs 1, me & minime vs wifey on all automotive. We win most of the time.
I can't wait for my boys to be old enough to team up with them against Mom for anything relating to wacecaws. She's been winning in the short run with her frugal and sensible arguments. But our time is coming. We will prevail.
jpy19801578.00
      09-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
As someone who daily drives a 2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad, I do not recommend the Tacoma, especially if you're selling the M3 for it.

The transmission is awful, worst auto I've ever driven. Lazy and sloshy like the worst autoboxes of the 90s. There's a button to improve throttle sensitivity and shift programming, but it's marginally better.

The rear wheels hop like crazy if you give anything more than 50% throttle off the line, and this truck is NOT quick. Traction control basically doesn't work. Spin city and wheel hop. This is with the upgraded Bilstein shocks that the TRD offroad comes with, so the truck is absolutely not underdamped.

The brake feel is the weirdest I've ever experienced in any car in my life. After a year and a half I still can't modulate it right. The effort and force for the amount of travel is inconsistent. If you gradually pump to 50%, it will behave normally, but if you slam it to 50% in an emergency situation, the whole truck bucks and skids like you're slamming on the brakes. I honestly wouldn't blame the person behind me if they rear ended me in an emergency due to how wonky the brake feel is. I hate this the most.

I also have the extended cab with 6 ft bed, and the F80 has far more rear seat interior room. I have short legs for my height, so my seat is naturally farther forward than most people would set it at. And I still need to move myself forward for a car seat behind me or if an adult is sitting behind me.

The telescoping steering wheel is a joke, it honestly can't have more than 2 inches of travel. My arms are uncomfortable driving the truck, it needs 1-2 more inches of travel for my body.

These are things you don't really have time to figure out on a test drive, so I'm giving you the best review I can of the worst aspects of the truck. Normally I don't care this much about a daily, but after driving the Tacoma I couldn't WAIT to get into my M3 again. Or any other car really.

I came from a 300k mile 2008 Tundra, and that truck was so much better at behaving like a car than my Tacoma is. Way more room, normal brake feel, much better suspension tuning, far better transmission programming, and the 5.7L V8 was nice, although not necessary. I wanted to downsize for just overall easier maneuverability so I got the Tacoma this time around. Would never buy again.

If you're looking for something that can handle dirt, get a WRX STI and keep it at stock height. It's leagues better of a car than the Tacoma if you just need to get on some dirt paths. And way way more interior room.
Wow thanks for the honest assessment. I could always count on you to have a great opinion. Much thanks!

Its funny you mentioned the STI as I came from a 2015 WRX with STI Wing awhile back. My wife made me sell it because of the wing. I didn't want to own one without the wing.

Judging from everyone's response, maybe I will just keep my F80 and wait things out. I am going stir crazy a bit.

I did have some client meetings earlier today and taking my F80 on the freeway was glorious!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #8
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I can't wait for my boys to be old enough to team up with them against Mom for anything relating to wacecaws. She's been winning in the short run with her frugal and sensible arguments. But our time is coming. We will prevail.
I always found it funny when I was younger and on the car forums where husbands would complain about needing their wives approvals. Now I fully understand that its totally annoying.

I don't think we will ever prevail and its just one of those pipe dreams that all husbands go through. =)

I have a group text with some of my close friends who are married with kids and we all are currently thinking of throwing some cash together to get a fun car and hide it from the wives....until my wife saw me talking to them about it.....UGH hahahaha

Is it better to ask for forgiveness later or ask for permission first?
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Have you ever driven a Taco manual trans?

If you ever notice, the people who rave about Tacos do so because they are unbeatable, ultra-reliable, super utilitarian. Legendary. 300k miles and never had it's oil changed. Barrel rolled down a 1500' cliff and then drove home. Yada yada.

No one ever raves about the Taco because they hopped in it and went for a drive and it is just so much fun to drive. No one. Ever. (I didn't actually fact check that statement)

I test drove a manual trans Taco after reading how wonderful they are....wow, what a let down. Anemic acceleration with a strong v6 engine. So smooth there's nothing fun. Boggy suspension for off-roading purposes translate to shitty steering and even mild cornering.

I wound up buying a 2019 wrangler instead. Ironically it also has weak acceleration and steering and suspension but SOMEHOW makes it more fun to drive. Kinda. Hard to explain, but at least more enjoyable than the Taco.

You want a fun rip roaring safari car? Do a WRX build or similar if you are on a budget. Hell, get a cheap 2018 Subaru Outback and throw some rally wheels and tires on it - they are pretty close to unstoppable. Want a bad-ass rally car with some family car chops? Get a 2005-2009 Subaru Outback XT with a manual transmission and build it up a bit....300-400whp is readily accessible from that engine.

I could keep going.

Buy a taco if you plan to keep it forever and want utility and solidity and nothing ever, ever needing your attention.
      09-12-2020, 12:32 AM   #10
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

So, I've been thinking about ditching my rapidly failing M2C ED order for a Range Rover Sport Td6...I think I'm also just bored, though the Rover would get serious winter use. As for the Taco, my brother has had a recent Taco and 2 4Runners in the last 7 years or so. All were the 4.0 (I think) V6, SR5, and auto. I can't speak for the manual, but the auto is very boring. Sure, it's reliable and sure it has a great, low-range capable 4WD system, but the on-road performance is terrible. The body roll could make you seasick while the shocks jar your spine...how? This is remedied with the TRD pro-shocks though. All-in, they're great utilitarian rigs, but they are basic and uninspiring.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This sports/performance car for utility exchange never works out. I have one buddy who completes the loop serially. God knows how much he's lost in the process vs. just keeping one fun car around.

If you're into cars enough to engage at the enthusiast level -- mods, track days, etc. -- then the only way you'll truly stay away is by replacing with another hobby of equal or more interest. Auto or other.

Know someone who largely ditched cars and track days and went berserk in side by side off-road world. Another who decided karts were more fun. Biking can be a reasonably good substitute, etc.

But nobody who swapped an M for an underpowered pickup, 7 seater, or a "glam" SUV and lasted.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi, congrats on the 2nd kid.

I vote for just taking your f80 camping etc as is

As an aside, my friend has left his cayenne s with me for a while, and it’s pretty fun as trucks go. Maybe your q7 needs to become cayenne?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Why not build an older 4 runner/land cruiser and make that your fun suv, you wouldn’t feel bad leaving it outside and it would be a cool project you could enjoy immediately.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:34 AM   #14
dooly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4cs

I have a manual taco TRD pro that I dumped a ton of money into, there is a world of difference between the two cars as driving experience goes. The taco is the opposite of the m4. It’s slow as crap, handles like a dump truck, gets absolutely horrendous mpg. But on the flip side, it’s very capable off-road, has enormous aftermarket support, holds value better than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned, and most importantly for me.. I don’t have to worry about scratching a front lip, bumps/dips or anything in the road.

The manual taco feels much better imo than the auto transmission and adding a flash tune called “ov tune” improves the overall response to make it a bit more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #15
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
I for one want to see that safari M3
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      09-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #16
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

Is a gen 1 or gen 2 raptor a option? We have a gen 2 & we love it! I don't know if this is within the price range you are looking for but maybe a consideration.

My girlfriend said "is upgrading your wife's q7 to a bmw equivalent a consideration?" Maybe this will help out with not getting your soul sucked away and have a nice family duo lol. Good luck brotha, best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #17
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

I don't think you'll regret getting a Taco as they're enjoyable in their own way, but you will miss having a fast/sporty car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
BUT recently having a second child and staying home due to the pandemic, I found that having a sports car is somewhat lacking. I love driving fast, going to the canyons/track and driving my awesome CAE shifter like it was meant to be, but all of those are solitary, albeit selfish, activities. My wife won't let me out as much to go canyon driving or to the track and I feel guilty when sneaking away by myself for a romp, so I started looking at more family oriented activities.
And just wanted to say I can totally relate to this as a father of two. I'm saddled with guilt anytime I go driving for driving's sake. If I do, it has to be at ~5am before anyone wakes up (which involves rolling the car out of the garage in neutral and pushing it down the street to start it, but that's a whole 'nother story lol).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Maybe find a new wife?

I have a CS and a solid axle Toyota jalopy on 35s. It's the perfect combo for me, but then I don't have kids.

As an avid Toyota truck fan, getting a new Tacoma TRD PRO to look cool takes a ton of $s to do it right especially if you don't wrench yourself. We're talking ICON billet aluminum suspension components, reservoir shocks, 33" tires and wheels, re-gearing if you go bigger, even more invasive suspension mods if you want to fit 35s, etc. You can do it on the cheap, but that's no fun judging you based on your M3.

Once it gets all dialed in, you will get bored of 4x4 life sans go fast outlet unless you actually use the Taco for overlanding, get out of dodge type experiences.

Tough call, homey.