Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Fault Code Help Requested - PPI Results

Aloha Bimmerpost,
Ive been lurking on the forms for a while now and recently decided to buy. I just had a PPI completed on a 2015 6MT M4 w/12k mi. Everything looks good so far, but 4 fault codes surfaced (no CEL) and I was wondering if anyone could help identifying the problems. Im not too worried about it being that the car is still under warranty, but figured i'd inquire to see if the faults are serious or not before i completely pull the trigger. I called 2 separate dealers today and believe it or not, no one was available to help me out at the time. Here are the codes

Module: HU-(MMI)(NBT)
B7F8C6 CID: Reduction in brightness due to excess temperature
E1CC03 Message (drive train 2 data, 0x3F9) incorrect, receiver NBT, transmitter DME/DDE
CD0487 ZGM: Synchronization process for FlexRay failed
8041A8: Welcome light, repeat interlock, active

Any help would be appreciated! Ive done some searching and I saw a small post on the CD0487 saying that it doesn't matter, but further analysis would be helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
What tool and version did you use? most of the sync errors don't mean much and I've done too much research to know. If you have ISTA, you can enter the fault codes and you'll get a detailed description as well the tool can do a test measures plan.

Clear them using ISTA and then check to see which ones persist.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Lee808
United_States
Rep

Autologic a013992 BMW v3.152.0, Main v4.446.0
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
If you want ISTA/D, I can PM you.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Since you dont have the car or software (PMed), here you go, most are not important...

Code:
Fault description The fault entry documents a functional limitation perceptible to the customer due to excess temperature. In the event of high temperatures on the CID, the brightness is reduced. The brightness reduction is a function for protecting the CID. Once the temperature has reduced (e.g. vehicle in shade or air conditioning operating), the normal functions are restored.

The CID distinguishes the following temperature ranges:
Up to 75°C: normal operation
From 75 °C - 92 °C: gradual reduction of back-lighting
Above 92 °C: completely switched off

The temperature is checked cyclically while the back-lighting is activated
E1CC03 Message (drive train 2 data, 0x3F9) incorrect, receiver NBT, transmitter DME/DDE
Code:
Fault description The receiving control unit logs the fault when an expected message from the transmitting control unit is not received.

These types of faults usually stem from interference on the bus connection between the affected control units (physical link).
Action in service Run the "System analysis message missing" test module.

In this procedure all "Message not present" fault entries on all control units are analysed. 

This makes it possible to localise the fault to a particular sector (most likely fault cause).

In many cases the faults only occur sporadically. To determine the precise fault cause additional measurements based on the results of the analysis routine need to be carried out (voltage supply, short circuit, contact problems).

If it proves impossible to identify a clear and unambiguous fault cause and the fault pattern continues to appear repeatedly (repeat repairs), then it may be necessary to replace the related wiring, plug connections or the control unit.

Important:

If the fault only appears sporadically (no repeat repair) and if no customer complaints concerning the problem have been received, then replacement of the related control unit is neither approved nor logical.

Note:

These faults usually appear in large numbers. If only a single fault related to a missing message has been entered and no problems related to the function of the control unit are present, then the fault can be ignored.

CD0487 ZGM: Synchronization process for FlexRay failed
As mentionned, these are sporadic faults, and there are no details for this one.

8041A8: Welcome light, repeat interlock, active
Code:
Fault description The repeat lock has deactivated the welcome light function.

The welcome light has been deactivated because the maximum number of cycle repetitions has been exceeded. 

Cycle repetitions can be encoded from 0-15. Default = 5.

Action in service A terminal change must be performed using the ignition key 1. Ignition in position 0, press the Start/Stop button until the radio is off and take the foot off the clutch 2. Ignition in position 1, press the Start/Stop button until the radio is switched on again
Appreciate 1
Lee808230.50
      07-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Lee808
United_States
Rep

This helps a million!!!!
Thanks aboulfad
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Since you dont have the car or software (PMed), here you go, most are not important...

Code:
Fault description The fault entry documents a functional limitation perceptible to the customer due to excess temperature. In the event of high temperatures on the CID, the brightness is reduced. The brightness reduction is a function for protecting the CID. Once the temperature has reduced (e.g. vehicle in shade or air conditioning operating), the normal functions are restored.

The CID distinguishes the following temperature ranges:
Up to 75°C: normal operation
From 75 °C - 92 °C: gradual reduction of back-lighting
Above 92 °C: completely switched off

The temperature is checked cyclically while the back-lighting is activated
Is this fault code related to the head unit basically shutting off and rebooting?

I experienced that last night during my drive and it definitely was not 92 degrees Centigrade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 06:59 AM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Is this fault code related to the head unit basically shutting off and rebooting?

I experienced that last night during my drive and it definitely was not 92 degrees Centigrade.
Going by the description I found, it sounds it is temperature related and the HU protects itself by probably shutdown. I think there is an internal sensor that would pickup a higher internal temp than ambient. If you say your ambient cabin temp was 60F then I would have some suspicions about this fault. Unless some very heavy utilization of the HU increases its internal temp.

PS: you have other faults worth looking into too.

Btw, your KL15/30 show a very high voltage, do you have a hack to show KL or do you use ICOM HW? Oh wait your car is a non LiFePO4 battery so that explains the higher voltage...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Going by the description I found, it sounds it is temperature related and the HU protects itself by probably shutdown. I think there is an internal sensor that would pickup a higher internal temp than ambient. If you say your ambient cabin temp was 60F then I would have some suspicions about this fault. Unless some very heavy utilization of the HU increases its internal temp.

PS: you have other faults worth looking into too.

Btw, your KL15/30 show a very high voltage, do you have a hack to show KL or do you use ICOM HW? Oh wait your car is a non LiFePO4 battery so that explains the higher voltage...
Cabin temp was no more than 75 F which should be well below 92 C.

I'm using the ICOM.

I know I have some other faults that are worth looking into. When I definitely have 1 definitive issue, I'll bring it into the dealership and have them look at the rest of the issues under the BMW Extended Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #10
SpeedyJuanito
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i xDrive

Hope this helps: BMW TSB attached.
Appreciate 0