Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

06-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Lloyd_Christmas
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Complexity of Xenon to LED Retrofit??

So I have been having some regrets about not optioning the LED headlamps. After more and more of seeing pictures of them on the forum and crossing paths with other M's on the road, I feel like they really give the car a more modern and aggressive appearance.

As such, I have started looking around to see if anyone has done a retrofit to understand just how much of an undertaking this would be, both from a financial perspective as well as in terms of time/complexity. There doesn't appear to be much of a precedent for this outside of an IND retrofit kit for the M5 that runs a cool $5,900 - the reason being that in addition to needing to purchase the OEM LED housing, there are several modules required to get everything communicating properly with the ECU.

Looking at the getbmwparts.com schematic and part list for the F8X LED headlamp assembly, it appears that all associated modules are included in the price of the LED assembly at $1,083 per side...

https://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/20...agramCallOut=1

Coding will most certainly be required to enable everything to work properly.

My question is...beyond the coding and complete LED assemblies, is there anything else I am potentially missing that would drive the cost of this retrofit higher? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas View Post
So I have been having some regrets about not optioning the LED headlamps. After more and more of seeing pictures of them on the forum and crossing paths with other M's on the road, I feel like they really give the car a more modern and aggressive appearance.

As such, I have started looking around to see if anyone has done a retrofit to understand just how much of an undertaking this would be, both from a financial perspective as well as in terms of time/complexity. There doesn't appear to be much of a precedent for this outside of an IND retrofit kit for the M5 that runs a cool $5,900 - the reason being that in addition to needing to purchase the OEM LED housing, there are several modules required to get everything communicating properly with the ECU.

Looking at the getbmwparts.com schematic and part list for the F8X LED headlamp assembly, it appears that all associated modules are included in the price of the LED assembly at $1,083 per side...

https://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/20...agramCallOut=1

Coding will most certainly be required to enable everything to work properly.

My question is...beyond the coding and complete LED assemblies, is there anything else I am potentially missing that would drive the cost of this retrofit higher? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

bump ... didn't even get my car but am wondering about how much i will miss them down the road (slight pun...) ... i know when i was researching it for our x3 it was completely impractical and we would be better off trading for an x3 with xenons vs halogen though that's a slightly different swap.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
bump ... didn't even get my car but am wondering about how much i will miss them down the road (slight pun...) ... i know when i was researching it for our x3 it was completely impractical and we would be better off trading for an x3 with xenons vs halogen though that's a slightly different swap.
Not sure about what else might be missing, but when you order the LED headlamps you also get the adaptive lighting/High Beam assistant. This requires a different headlamp switch on the stalk (it's two buttons not one) and requires a camera in the rear view mirror housing - the low resolution one, not the one needed for the speed limit detection in the drivers assistance package.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
goformitch
MITCHIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model S

BUMP

I too am curious about this. I have the option to purchase a new F80 but it doesn't have the LED headlights and that's a serious problem for me. I like my tech but the deal is pretty good. I wouldn't mind a retrofit if it can be done.

Can someone comment?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
dkuznetsov92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by greene08 View Post
BUMP

I too am curious about this. I have the option to purchase a new F80 but it doesn't have the LED headlights and that's a serious problem for me. I like my tech but the deal is pretty good. I wouldn't mind a retrofit if it can be done.

Can someone comment?
Spoke to a BMW rep about this, youre better off just buying 2 housings off ebay and the headlights need to be coded.. its a PITA
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

You might be in luck.. I saw this guy's M4 on Instagram and he had xenons on.. 4 days ago he posted a picture with LEDs with custom painting from oneighty. Check out redleb1 on Instagram. Let me know if u find something out. I want LEDs as well lol
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

interested in this one
      09-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
viharsheth
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (F80)

If you had to pick between the LED lights or the Adaptive Suspension, which would you choose?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

There should be a way of complete retrofit but will take time for someone to figure all out, involving finding all parts required and difference in wiring via ISTA-D or so. I hated myself not ordering adaptive xenons on my previous F30, and it was a lot of effort retrofitting them, even though the manual was available. Sad thing is when you sell the car, your retrofitted, flawlessly working "OEM" LED will still have zero value in the dealer's book.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

OP, you might want to check this thread too: F30 2016 LED Headlights retrofit.
      09-19-2015, 02:14 AM   #11
m3z
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
There should be a way of complete retrofit but will take time for someone to figure all out, involving finding all parts required and difference in wiring via ISTA-D or so. I hated myself not ordering adaptive xenons on my previous F30, and it was a lot of effort retrofitting them, even though the manual was available. Sad thing is when you sell the car, your retrofitted, flawlessly working "OEM" LED will still have zero value in the dealer's book.
If that's the case, couldn't you just revert the car back to xenons and sell the led's to another forum member or M driver? I'm sure if you had it working flawlessly, your instructions or referral to a shop to do all proper coding would go a long way and get those led housings sold no?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 02:45 AM   #12
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3z View Post
If that's the case, couldn't you just revert the car back to xenons and sell the led's to another forum member or M driver? I'm sure if you had it working flawlessly, your instructions or referral to a shop to do all proper coding would go a long way and get those led housings sold no?
Correct. The dealer was impressed (I had no errors, and only very last step-initialization of level sensors using dealer's ista-d- was remaining) but still said they wanted original headlight which is in the VIN. I was hella lazy to put them back but I had to revert it back. Then, I sold my xenons very easily, since there is high demand from quite a few people with sad eyes. Would be same for LED.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuznetsov92 View Post
Spoke to a BMW rep about this, youre better off just buying 2 housings off ebay and the headlights need to be coded.. its a PITA
The coding should be easy: just VO coding (unless you want the Euro functionality).
      09-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

1.Someone needs to connect his LED car with rheingold/ista-d and download the schematic/wiring diagrams/pin assignments on headlight/FEM/ICM and any involved modules, and then compare it with those from a Xenon equipped car. Then figure out how wiring should be added/modified.
2. get the right parts and wires/wire bushings and so on.
3. coding should be the easiest part.
4. Some initialization/calibration might be required...

I tried if I can connect to my car with rheingold I have, but it did not recognize my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
1.Someone needs to connect his LED car with rheingold/ista-d and download the schematic/wiring diagrams/pin assignments on headlight/FEM/ICM and any involved modules, and then compare it with those from a Xenon equipped car. Then figure out how wiring should be added/modified.
2. get the right parts and wires/wire bushings and so on.
3. coding should be the easiest part.
4. Some initialization/calibration might be required...

I tried if I can connect to my car with rheingold I have, but it did not recognize my car.
You do not did to connect. Just enter your VIN and do an offline text search.
      09-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #16
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Used some '14 production VIN on rheingold and I am seeing things like this. Not completely sure this is show the right diagram for F8X LED though. I am no expert at this but wanted to share some idea about it.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #17
cvn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Any info on this? Has anyone done a retrofit as yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #18
bmw_f22
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 220d M-performance

Successful xenon retrofit

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25190489
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #19
thankinyou@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvn View Post

Hi guy's,
First time posting on here. Looking for some advice.
I know there's LOADS of information on this particular topic but I can't seem to find a solution.

I have a F30 with LCI LEDS (previously xenon) but only the DRL & indicators work, no main beams EXCEPT weirdly for a few seconds everytime I start to drive (even moving the car back/forward)
I got told it was maybe the coding so paid for a chap to code them but didn't make a difference, infact before the coding the indicators used to flash at the correct speed but now they flash like they're on drugs (fast!)

Any ideas/help will truly be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #20
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankinyou@hotmail.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvn View Post

Hi guy's,
First time posting on here. Looking for some advice.
I know there's LOADS of information on this particular topic but I can't seem to find a solution.

I have a F30 with LCI LEDS (previously xenon) but only the DRL & indicators work, no main beams EXCEPT weirdly for a few seconds everytime I start to drive (even moving the car back/forward)
I got told it was maybe the coding so paid for a chap to code them but didn't make a difference, infact before the coding the indicators used to flash at the correct speed but now they flash like they're on drugs (fast!)

Any ideas/help will truly be appreciated.
It's probably coding check the coding section. Led lights flashing when car turns on is the light test to make sure they aren't burned out. You need to code to stop that from happening as well
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #21
thankinyou@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
It's probably coding check the coding section. Led lights flashing when car turns on is the light test to make sure they aren't burned out. You need to code to stop that from happening as well
Thanks for the reply.

Got the coding looked at and even changed the main module, had to get this coded too but still no change. When the car is driven the main beam will come (and stay) on whether the headlight switch is on or just on DRLs, but when I stop the main beam fades off. Also flashing/high beam doesn't work either? I'm out of ideas.
Does anyone know of anyone who retrofits/codes in the Greater Manchester area?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0