Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

12-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #1
dddmrc
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

F80 H&R SS Spring Set Install Hampton Roads

Good morning all,

I've read through the message boards concerning install and it would appear as some places are more cost effective than others. Here in Virginia Beach the "best" price I could find was $900. Does anyone know of a place that may be able to beat that. Based on what I've read on here $300-500 is the sweet spot. The guy stated it was a 9 hr job but the most I've seen (online) is 4 hours. I am not opposed to driving to Richmond either. I also have a couple other questions.
1) I live in VB but work in Norfolk, how has the ride been on your springs? We have terrible roads here.
2) I have stock 19" wheels, do you recommend spacers? if so, 15mm F/12mm R? Any brand specifically?

I appreciate all of the posts, I've learned quite a bit on here. Happy New Year!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
FAM3LYCAR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite F80-6MT

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Hey, welcome, I'll give you my insight on springs but I'm not familiar with H&Rs specifically. I put Eibach springs on my F80 and the installation process should be the same. I did it myself, and spent about 4-5 hours total, most of which was on the fronts (rears are very simple). I've replaced springs on other vehicles but this was one of the first things I modified on the F80 so I was being really careful to fully understand everything along the way and took my time.

I would suggest talking to a shop that has done work on the F80 platform. I think 9 hours for someone who has the right tools and some familiarity with the platform is really high.

As far as the ride quality, I think any lowering springs are going to make the car a little stiffer but it will also feel more planted.

15mm front and 12mm rear spacers should work fine, but you might want to search for info on the H&R springs specifically to see if anyone has had rubbing issues. I have that setup on Eibach springs and there's plenty of room still.

If you don't find any places in the beach area, I know a couple shops in Richmond you could check with, feel free to PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

If the $900 includes corner balancing, then that is a little more reasonable. If it just install then run far away.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
dddmrc
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Excellent and thank you for the responses. I will definitely PM you and it was $990 just for the install. There isn't a huge M scene down here in Hampton Roads, I actually bought my car from Richmond so I am certainly not opposed to driving to Richmond. Thank you again for the responses, I will look into the H&R springs and potential rubbing issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

There's a BMW facebook group which seems to be based in VaBeach. Lots of folks on there seem to have contacts at shops or work at a shop and are happy to do side work for reasonable prices. Might be worth looking into.

Like FAM3LYCAR, I did some DIY research (easy to find YouTube videos) and selected to swap the springs myself. Took me about 4 hours and I was REALLY taking my time.
Appreciate 0