European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-31-2024, 02:42 AM   #1
SnoozieToofs
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M235i, M3

DTC code: 119202 Fuel pressure sensor; electrical; Short circuit to ground

Had this one pop up on me while I was out logging some runs on E70+.

“119202 Fuel pressure sensor; electrical; Short circuit to ground”

Car felt totally fine during the log runs. I only noticed something was off when I came to a stop and felt the idle was rough. Not rough enough to stall out or anything, but a constant low shudder that clears up after around 1500rpm — otherwise all other RPM ranges the car drives fine. No CEL or Drivetrain Malfunction either. So checked codes, and Lo and Behold…
Clearing the code hasn’t been fruitful either as it’s just come back, and logged 8 separate DTC reports on the drive home in a span of 30minutes. Each of which has a time stamp that correlates with when I’ve come to a complete stop such as a red light or stop sign. I.e RPM came down to the Idle -> 1500k range

Based on some research it appears to be a failing low pressure sensor behind the HPFPs. Aside from anybody else experiencing this issue and what their experiences have been, I have 2 questions.

1. With the high probability of the sensor failing, what is causing the rough idle.
Is the DME trying to compensate for the low voltage reading by adding additional fuel or is it the opposite and not getting enough fuel, hence the idle? Just curious if I should tow the car to the repair location or if it’s okay to drive.
I reckon it’s dumping extra fuel to compensate since I assume as I go higher in the RPM range and things clear up, the sensor voltage goes back up and the it reads normal again?

2. Anybody have a detailed ‘how to’ on replacing this sensor since TIS isn’t free anymore? I know it’s parked under the intake manifold so I gotta get there, but was wondering if there are any other procedures I need to do since this is a fuel line issue.

Thanks I’m advance guys. Pics of codes attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 08:36 AM   #2
DeezBluBallz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5, BMW M3

Doing that right now. Look up removing the DME, as the intake manifold will need to be removed to gain access. Real quick swap once you finally get to it. It's buried under there.

My car never ran rough though, can't comment on that.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
SnoozieToofs
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezBluBallz View Post
Doing that right now. Look up removing the DME, as the intake manifold will need to be removed to gain access. Real quick swap once you finally get to it. It's buried under there.

My car never ran rough though, can't comment on that.
Appreciate the info. If your car didn’t run different. How did you know that your sensor needed to be replaced? Just a hunch?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:23 PM   #4
DeezBluBallz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5, BMW M3

Check engine light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 04:22 PM   #5
SnoozieToofs
Private
Germany
Rep

Thanks for the response and photos. This is extremely helpful!
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 08:10 PM   #6
SnoozieToofs
Private
Germany
Rep

::UPDATE::

Upon checking the logs it was revealed that Fuel Pressure was flat at 64kPa across the entire RPM range, regardless of throttle position or load.

So went to have the Fuel Pressure Sensor replaced. Turns out a rodent made itself at home right next to the sensor, and fancied the plastic wire loom for a snack. Don’t know how long this bugger was taking up residence in there, but I reckon he moved in around Mid 2023, as July 2023 is where the first logs started showing the Fuel Pressure metric at the steady 64kPa with no variation at all. Don’t know why the car started showing symptoms and throwing codes in Jan 24’ but I suppose it took that long for him to work through everything.

::FIX::
The damaged wire portion was cut and new wire soldered w/heat shrink. Replaced the Sensor for good measure and car is running great again.

Also, Rodent was nowhere to be found during the repair, but he can consider his “lease” cancelled. Now to find a proper repellent that doesn’t stink up the car. 😅
Attached Images

Appreciate 0