ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-08-2023, 06:33 PM   #45
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
Subbed. Just ordered my BM3 Flex kit. Was planning to go with Tuning Tech FS (Frank Smith) largely because they’re local to me but I don’t see much mention of them atleast on here. Sound like Bend may be the way to go.

Let me know how that install goes. I really like that unit but I was able to reprogram my MHD unit to do the same so no real point. Never heard of that tuner but yeah, Bend (so far) has been incredible and I have about 20 DMs of folks who have had the same exact experience.
I'm tuned by Frank Smith. My DME was locked so I went to him originally so he could bench unlock my DME. He talked me into a Dyno tune. He runs his Dyno in awd mode so the Dyno sheet isn't accurate to what I've seen. On the street the car is definitely quicker than it was before but I have no other tunes to compare it to. It's the only one I've had on this platform. I just installed catless downpipes and I was planning on going back to him for a re tune and to turn off the check engine light. I'm considering just skipping and going flex through bend. With the kit and tune it's significantly more expensive than a re tune from Frank. I'm pretty torn. Frank is considered a very good tuner though. I emailed Ian from bend and he was very helpful.
Appreciate 1
Idfkman473.00
      05-08-2023, 06:36 PM   #46
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
I'm tuned by Frank Smith. My DME was locked so I went to him originally so he could bench unlock my DME. He talked me into a Dyno tune. He runs his Dyno in awd mode so the Dyno sheet isn't accurate to what I've seen. On the street the car is definitely quicker than it was before but I have no other tunes to compare it to. It's the only one I've had on this platform. I just installed catless downpipes and I was planning on going back to him for a re tune and to turn off the check engine light. I'm considering just skipping and going flex through bend. With the kit and tune it's significantly more expensive than a re tune from Frank. I'm pretty torn. Frank is considered a very good tuner though. I emailed Ian from bend and he was very helpful.
Ian is very helpful. Even though I decided (originally) to go with another tuner, he answered all my questions and even sent me some videos when I ran into a snag with my fuel filter kit that they sell. If your current tune is just for standard petrol then there's only so much you can squeeze out of it but once you go with E85 it's a night and day difference. You can't go wrong with Bend Calibration and they'll wrap it up fairly quick.
      05-14-2023, 11:41 AM   #47
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition

I'm glad I finally joined this board as this is the kind of thread I personally find real value in. With that, I picked up my 2017 F80 a month or so ago with 52k and some bolt-ons but with no history of the car as it was a local trade-in.

I immediately threw on a BM3 Flex Fuel kit and did the E30 OTS tune as the car had catless DPs and midpipe on it but the previous owner must of pulled the tune off to resell the license as the car threw an O2 sensor code about 70 miles into driving it back home from the dealership.

With that, the E30 tune was quite a difference, as expected, but I wanted to just fill up on pump E85 and not have to worry about blended so I opted for the BM3 Stg2 Multimap and ran that for about a week.

Fast forward, I echo the experiences that Slaughter and others have mentioned about Ian and his team @bendcalibration. I had my crank hub done as insurance knowing I'm going to go turbos and supporting fuel system sooner than later and opted to have Bend custom tune it on BM3 for Flex until I'm ready to move onto Ecuktek with the turbo upgrade. Car is night and day difference with the custom tune although the OTS wasn't bad at all for the price.

Looking forward to hearing more feedback slaughter.mode as you provide your thoughts and logs, etc. Really awesome to see the data along with the posts to really learn/understand the changes!
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2023, 12:25 PM   #48
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

To add more to the topic, I’m on revision 3.

It’s been so worth the cost of the calibration. The car feels so solid so far and so individualized to my cars monitors vs the OTS.

Ian has been quick to reply. Truly can’t go wrong with Bend.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2023, 07:00 PM   #49
Stealth335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Great thread and sub'ed! Currently working with the Paul Johnson crew on my flex fuel tune, so far all is well, but Bend sounds interesting.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2023, 07:12 PM   #50
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth335i View Post
Great thread and sub'ed! Currently working with the Paul Johnson crew on my flex fuel tune, so far all is well, but Bend sounds interesting.
Would definitely love to hear some feedback on PJ tune. My gut and what I researched inclined me to think it was similar to JordanTuned so I just went with that but would like to hear.
      05-14-2023, 07:50 PM   #51
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M4

This is a great thread! You should do all your dragy runs with the gts tcu map as that is free with most tuning platforms. If you have time you could also do them with xhp stage 2 or 3 with no custom settings on. Ive spent LOTS of time researching and trying to understand what all the dct is computing and different tunes can definitely change times. How did you get to your recommended settings for each? also why stage 2 over 3?
      05-14-2023, 10:06 PM   #52
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown65 View Post
This is a great thread! You should do all your dragy runs with the gts tcu map as that is free with most tuning platforms. If you have time you could also do them with xhp stage 2 or 3 with no custom settings on. Ive spent LOTS of time researching and trying to understand what all the dct is computing and different tunes can definitely change times. How did you get to your recommended settings for each? also why stage 2 over 3?
Yea it's just very time consuming. I just found Stage 3 was too brash for my HP levels. If I was pushing near the 800+ range I'd probably consider it but sub 650? I think it's a bit overkill. It's really all subjective though. Once I have my final logs and confirmed finish with my Bend tune and then wrap my Rickerman tune I'll do GTS vs my recommended xHP tune + config.
      05-15-2023, 12:40 AM   #53
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Helpful thread. I’m on Cary Jordan but always wanted to try Bend. The flat torque map sounds like what I’m looking for.

Do you know what wtq levels you are targeting with the flat torque map?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 01:23 AM   #54
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Helpful thread. I’m on Cary Jordan but always wanted to try Bend. The flat torque map sounds like what I’m looking for.

Are all these tunes street tuned? I am wondering what kind of power these tunes are pushing on a dyno.
      05-15-2023, 01:27 PM   #55
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:

I am still having logs reviewed for my last blend and will get it dyno'd but the flat torque map is so manageable I can drive with DSC off in wet weather and the correction is pampers level. It literally transforms the car but it's still a full on missile. I have a notion that had I been running this tune/map (even the full torque map) I'd have spared my blown engine. It is amazing stuff.
      05-15-2023, 01:56 PM   #56
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

subed! I'm also going to have Bend tune in June / July.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:44 PM   #57
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
subed! I'm also going to have Bend tune in June / July.
You will not be disappointed!
      05-16-2023, 11:20 AM   #58
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Been looking through Bend vs. Cary. One difference that I may have discovered is tuning support period post finalization of the map.

I see that Bend gives you 30 days from the first data log revision review to concluding making revisions going forward.

Cary's support is 1 year.

I should ask Bend is this is really the case. I think 30 days is really short.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:16 PM   #59
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Been looking through Bend vs. Cary. One difference that I may have discovered is tuning support period post finalization of the map.

I see that Bend gives you 30 days from the first data log revision review to concluding making revisions going forward.

Interesting. I don't really see Ian/Bend just ditching me if there's any follow-up support needed. For me, we're already almost a month into tuning and it's going to take time for me to blend up/down E content to confirm and tweak the tune if needed but once it's done, it's done. I am almost 100% certain they are done after the 2 or 3 revisions but they are having me hit certain blend targets and log to make 100% sure. Once they sign-off on all the logs of all the different E blends, I don't see the need for any revisions unless I make an upgrade/change to the car which would fall out-of-scope of the original tune anyway.
      05-16-2023, 12:36 PM   #60
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:

I had that concern too. In speaking with Ian, the concern is beginning the tuning phase and then not concluding the tune within a reasonable time. The situation they want to avoid is sending Revision 1 on May 16 (as an example), then the client sends in their data log for Revision 1 on May 30th.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:49 PM   #61
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
I had that concern too. In speaking with Ian, the concern is beginning the tuning phase and then not concluding the tune within a reasonable time. The situation they want to avoid is sending Revision 1 on May 16 (as an example), then the client sends in their data log for Revision 1 on May 30th.
That's what I'd expect to keep a efficient running business. Other tuners have all the time in the world, i.e. my tune with Wedge Performance took almost 2 years. They still want me to put it on rollers to fine tune anything else (lol). Which I will, when I can.
      05-16-2023, 12:59 PM   #62
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I totally get the efficient business part. However, the weather still isn't super great for doing WOT pulls, which is the reason for my concern. Its really more of a safety issue on my part.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:02 PM   #63
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I totally get the efficient business part. However, the weather still isn't super great for doing WOT pulls, which is the reason for my concern. Its really more of a safety issue on my part.
Yeah if it's raining and such (it was during my 2nd revision but shockingly the car was still drivable with the flat torque and I was able to capture logs) they wont penalize you. Just let them know what's going on. I usually reply to their requests within 24 hours to give updates. Never seemed like a problem. Keep in mind this tune felt near perfect on the first go. They're just adjusting for octane limits and my preference to keep things super saucy with E50+ content so we're going down that rabbit hole. I'm sure Ian/Bend will tell you the same.
      05-16-2023, 01:04 PM   #64
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
Quote:
That's what I'd expect to keep a efficient running business. Other tuners have all the time in the world, i.e. my tune with Wedge Performance took almost 2 years. They still want me to put it on rollers to fine tune anything else (lol). Which I will, when I can.
Quote:
Yeah if it's raining and such (it was during my 2nd revision but shockingly the car was still drivable with the flat torque and I was able to capture logs) they wont penalize you. Just let them know what's going on. I usually reply to their requests within 24 hours to give updates. Never seemed like a problem. Keep in mind this tune felt near perfect on the first go. They're just adjusting for octane limits and my preference to keep things super saucy with E50+ content so we're going down that rabbit hole. I'm sure Ian/Bend will tell you the same.
Thanks for this...

Are you tuned on BM3 through Bend? If so, do you have any issues with cold start being enabled when running on high ethanol concentrations?

I still have rough idle on cold start when running on E50+.

Appreciate 1
Hotflare188.50
      05-16-2023, 03:38 PM   #65
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB M3 Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Some really useful feedback for Southern California folks who are considering where to get their E85 right from Bend:

"Being your location is in Chino Hills; the two primary E85 is either Pearson Fuels (blended with very low grade naphtha), or Propel (From Asia; generally best SoCal E85 blend)."

Some 76 gas stations use Pearson and some use Propel so make sure you look for the Propel logo.
Oh shoot you're in chino? I'm from norcal but I'm getting my bend kit installed by cody over @s3xperformance. Definitely would be dope to link up some day when I'm there !
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 04:07 PM   #66
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Thanks for this...

Are you tuned on BM3 through Bend? If so, do you have any issues with cold start being enabled when running on high ethanol concentrations?

I still have rough idle on cold start when running on E50+.
I am on BM3. Oddly it’s the opposite for me. The rough idle (warm starts of all things) are a bit ‘idle hunty’ when E content is minimum (E10 or less). E20-E70 so far cold and warm starts are smooth as stock. Haven’t captured logs to run this by Bend yet but will at the end. Could just be my worn out F8S plugs.