R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-24-2024, 09:52 PM   #1
LandonLiftz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2018

Valvetronic failure

I bought my car 4 months ago (as is) the second day I’m driving off the highway and bam every light on the dash gets lit up car goes into a severe limp mode have to rev to like 3k-4k rpm’s for it to move I call the people I bought it from they tell me get it towed to bmw of Dallas I do that. BMW of Dallas says it’s ready the next day I show up the lady tells me it’s free and hands me a paper. I’m thinking hell yea nothings wrong good to go I drive off and nothing is wrong. Around a week later I put a mid pipe in and notice the valves are stuck closed in every gear past 2nd so I open them and un plug the valves so I can hear my exhaust. Then I remember on the paper it said something about a valvetronic issue wasn’t too sure what it meant but I know that there’s a problem with my valves right now so I’m thinking hmm most likely didn’t fix the problem just cleared the code. And then I forgot about it for around 2 months but now I’m up late at night thinking about this after seeing post something about a critical valvetronic failure. In the morning I will post the service receipt and see exactly what they said. But has anyone had a experince with a valvetronic system failure or issue what is it? Could this lead to a loss of power? Could this lead to further problems?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:56 AM   #2
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

Yes the motor is $300 made by VDO. You know you have a bad valvetronic if you open the door to your car and it makes a woodpecker noise. If you don’t take care of it, it will destroy the gears and teeth of the worm gear and your eccentric shaft which acts like a 3rd camshaft. It’s located right under the valve cover and takes 2 hours to do.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 08:20 PM   #3
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I live in Plano, go to Sewell BMW and ask for Blake. He races his own e92 on circuit tracks and is very cool about dealing with aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 11:11 PM   #4
headstart101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeamerking View Post
Yes the motor is $300 made by VDO. You know you have a bad valvetronic if you open the door to your car and it makes a woodpecker noise. If you don’t take care of it, it will destroy the gears and teeth of the worm gear and your eccentric shaft which acts like a 3rd camshaft. It’s located right under the valve cover and takes 2 hours to do.
If you can find one in stock. Only OEM BMW that cost nearly $500 is in stock most places.
Appreciate 0