Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: What most accurately characterizes you thus far?
I own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far love the new M4 256 42.88%
I own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far dislike the new M4 94 15.75%
I don't(haven't) own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far love the new M4 218 36.52%
I don't(haven't) own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far dislike the new M4 29 4.86%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

09-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #177
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Listen respectfully, i think you made your point. I also think people know about late production models take a bigger hit when new gen come outs .

I think you don't understand is that some people simply do not care as much. And people buy what makes them happy! they wanted a new M3, leave them alone my god.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #178
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
What???

Why waste space? What space? Engine compartment space? Why would I care how much space my engine compartment has? I could care less if V8 TT takes up more space. Shoe horn that bad boy in if all I care.

I willing to bet the V8TT would give the E92 m3 pretty similar MPG to what it sees currently.

After owning a v8 m3 ( or any v8 sports car) I have zero interest in going into a I6 version. I look at it as downgrade. The sound of a V8 motor trumps the V6 motor alone! It might be a great motor but IMO, it sounds like crap. I've never liked the sound of any v6. And if I wanted MPG, I would have purchased a Prius.

I leased the 2013 for business use, but if I don't find something fun in a v8 + to own by then, I might buy just buy it out.

I'm just so bummed we didn't get the twin turbo v8. By the way, I love how the new m4 looks too. It's just that I6 I hate. Ugh.
Speaking of upgrades: If or when BMW returns to its true M3 roots (i.e. 4 cylinder), I can only imagine the anticipation and delight will be even greater than now because progress will have come full circle.
Whatever floats your boat man. You are one strange dude to me. V8 to I6 and you like it? Then you say you would like to see it go to a 4 banger again?

Someone take his keys! He needs to be in a 328i.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 09-03-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #179
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

BMW doesn't produce V6s but i6s

Anyway, having owned an E46 M3 6MT, a 335i N54 E90 6MT, an E90 M3 6MT and now a 1M, I'm glad BMW is back with a 6 cylinder M3.

OK it has grown even bigger than the E9x M3 but please BMW keep the weight 150kgs or so below the E9x M3.

Hate to say it but out of the 10 BMWs I owned my current one is the best in terms of driving an drifting pleasure, agility..it's the most powerful BMW(by far!) irl I ever had.

I just can't get enough of it, such a great car.The new M3/4 will be a TT6 blast!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #180
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
^^^ Not sure why I stated V6. I actually knew that too. My bad.
      09-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #181
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Whatever floats your boat man. You are one strange dude to me. V8 to I6 and you like it? Then you say you would like to see it go to a 4 banger again?

Someone take his keys! He needs to be in a 328i.

I was actually agreeing with you by noting how those that disagree with you should be even more ecstatic to see a four cylinder replace the impending I6 if they're really looking forward to BMW going back to its M3 roots. Somehow, I think an overwhelming majority would say "Hold on a minute there BMW" were a 4 cylinder to be considered for the follow on generation to the F80M3/M4.

My preference, though it's obvious BMW has other plans, would have been for a continuation of a V8, any turbo or other variety of V8, married to the M3/M4. Maybe they will go back "up" to a V8 in the post-F80M3/4 generation.
      09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #182
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
What???

Why waste space? What space? Engine compartment space? Why would I care how much space my engine compartment has? I could care less if V8 TT takes up more space. Shoe horn that bad boy in if all I care.

I willing to bet the V8TT would give the E92 m3 pretty similar MPG to what it sees currently.

After owning a v8 m3 ( or any v8 sports car) I have zero interest in going into a V6 version. I look at it as downgrade. The sound of a V8 motor trumps the V6 motor alone! It might be a great motor but IMO, it sounds like crap. I've never liked the sound of any v6. And if I wanted MPG, I would have purchased a Prius.

I leased the 2013 for business use, but if I don't find something fun in a v8 + to own by then, I might buy just buy it out.

I'm just so bummed we didn't get the twin turbo v8. By the way, I love how the new m4 looks too. It's just that v6 I hate. Ugh.
We really see eye to eye on this V8 stuff. Its like once you go V8 its so hard to find a 6 cylinder to sound as good.

I am not totally ignorant though, i do find a 911 GT3 to sound pretty cool. but most of the "more affordable" V8 and 6 cylinder sports car. the V8 will win in sound.

I also have my M3 leased, i wanted to see where things were gong before i bought it. I think AMG might be putting a small TTV8 in there next engines. IDK theres a lot of new stuff coming out within next few years. Will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #183
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
My thoughts exactly every e9x M3 owner hates the new M4 just because it looks better, it makes the M3 look like 10 years old, but the blame is on them who in their right mind buys a 2013 M3!!! when you know the replacement is months ahead and like with every new iteration it'll be better, lighter, faster,
Hey Carlos Danger, you say you're new to Bimmerpost and you want to say hi. Well, you just insulted a number of forum members whom you don't know and you keep doing it.

Your sig also says you're a doctor. Hey, hi, I'm a doctor too, and err... I think my mind is okay.

The E92 M3 was/is my dream car. Felt like paying off my house and then, paying off my car when I bought it ('cause I don't like debt). I was so happy the E92 generation extended into MY 2013, because then I could order my dream car from the factory, built just the way I wanted it.

Why would I hate on the new M3/M4? I want to add it to my garage!

I'm pretty certain the new M3/M4 are going to be TERRIFIC.

I prefer buying my cars after their mid-cycle refresh (if possible), so why not drive in my favorite car until the new M3/M4 has been around for a few years, the initial bugs have been ironed out and it has been further tweaked and improved upon? Seems like a win-win to me.
+1
The new M4 will be a winner and at some point late in the product cycle when you can pay invoice or less, when all the bugs are worked out, when all the car mag articles are written, when LCI is done and when ZCP is available, then I will buy one with the options that I choose. In the mean time I will enjoy my proudly purchased 2013 E92.

PS: The only disappointment I have in buying a 2013 M3 is that it makes me regret not buying a new 2006 E46 M3 with my preferred options. If I had done that then I would currently own two M3s. To the guys that like the newest technology or fashion and have to be the first on the block with the new model - well thats cool as well and I can't wait to see you out there on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #184
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Am I the only one who didn't like the crossplane crankshaft V8 sound of the E9x M3 as much as the E46 M3 i6 sound?

Sure, @ cold start it sounded like a NASCAR in my garage but so does my 1M (even better but after 30 seconds it's more silent tbh)

I prefer bigger displacement crossplane V8s like the AMG/Corvettes(because of more USEABLE torque) or just a good old (Ferrari) flatplane crankshaft V8.

I know the current 4.0 V8 is derived from the M5 V10('just' 2 cylinders cut off so to speak) but I never found it some kind of a gem in the first place.

To go really fast I should keep it above 4000rpm all the time and the icing on the cake was between 7000 and 8400rpm. Fantastic. But in real life those are revs I did'nt even come close to as a daily.

And we all might know a 1650kg M3 is not as sporty as let's say a Porker in that price/hp range.

It was a nice and special daily, but for its way too high pricetag not just like my ex E46 M3 and my current car. But that's my own mistake...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #185
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I have to say that the m4 looks like the Michael Bay Transformers version of the e92 m3. I have to see the car in person to truly make a decision about how I feel about it though.

I can't and will not get used to the name.

6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust | Stoptech | Macht Schnell | AST
Instagram: surewin_e92m
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #186
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Am I the only one who didn't like the crossplane crankshaft V8 sound of the E9x M3 as much as the E46 M3 i6 sound?

Sure, @ cold start it sounded like a NASCAR in my garage but so does my 1M (even better but after 30 seconds it's more silent tbh)

I prefer bigger displacement crossplane V8s like the AMG/Corvettes(because of more USEABLE torque) or just a good old (Ferrari) flatplane crankshaft V8.

I know the current 4.0 V8 is derived from the M5 V10('just' 2 cylinders cut off so to speak) but I never found it some kind of a gem in the first place.

To go really fast I should keep it above 4000rpm all the time and the icing on the cake was between 7000 and 8400rpm. Fantastic. But in real life those are revs I did'nt even come close to as a daily.

And we all might know a 1650kg M3 is not as sporty as let's say a Porker in that price/hp range.

It was a nice and special daily, but for its way too high pricetag not just like my ex E46 M3 and my current car. But that's my own mistake...

Cheers
Robin
Its a gem because the nature of the engine is not common. Its just a different more track engine, than road engine. i love it ! its not for everyone!

I love how its a tiny V8, again i like different.

they just don't make engines them anymore, everything is more daily driver focused now. good down low power, good MPG. etc.

This engine is special because its from a time when BMW put MPG aside and made a engine.

The people who like the V8 sound are the ones who have a E9x m3. the ones that love the inline engines are the ones who comment on here with 335i or any other non E60 M5/e92 m3. thats the funny part.

on a side note, i hit red line about on average 3 times a day in my m3. i may have more hair on my chest though.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #187
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Its a gem because the nature of the engine is not common. Its just a different more track engine, than road engine. i love it ! its not for everyone!

I love how its a tiny V8, again i like different.

they just don't make engines them anymore, everything is more daily driver focused now. good down low power, good MPG. etc.

This engine is special because its from a time when BMW put MPG aside and made a engine.

The people who like the V8 sound are the ones who have a E9x m3. the ones that love the inline engines are the ones who comment on here with 335i or any other non E60 M5/e92 m3. thats the funny part.

on a side note, i hit red line about on average 3 times a day in my m3. i may have more hair on my chest though.
I seriously doubt that(chesthair) . Literally and also practically.

Also when I had my E90 M3 I did not like the V8 sound as much as the i6 of the E46 M3. Explain that to me lol.

Each to their own. I just thought my ex E90 M3 was too heavy that's all...

Highrevving is fantastic I agree. But the driver also has to find the nannies off button

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #188
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

I think many of the US M3 E9X owners who're raving about the V8 sound didn't own an EX6 M3 before.

The inline-6 is a real screamer (the 3.2L NA, not todays 3L turbo).
Pedestrians would make gestures at you as if you were a lunatic driver just for accelerating fast up to 4000 RPM.
And you were only half through the rev range at that moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #189
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Except that torque and efficiency are nearly meaningless in such a car...
Is this for reals? Go to any true professional races and tell em the same thing. Torque wins races. Efficiency is loved by every aspect of race car technology that come along.
Why do audi keeps winning Lemans 24hrs ? Go watch and figure it out yourself.
Amazing how people get so blinded, and have no clue..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #190
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
E92 M3 sold

It is with a heavy heart that I sold the M3 today. It wasn't easy walking away from it, it is such a wonderful car. However, after seeing the M4 it was the best decision for me. I have the first spot at my dealership and now it will be a waiting game. It will be exciting to think about options, colors, etc. and I am fine with the wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #191
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I seriously doubt that(chesthair) . Literally and also practically.

Also when I had my E90 M3 I did not like the V8 sound as much as the i6 of the E46 M3. Explain that to me lol.

Each to their own. I just thought my ex E90 M3 was too heavy that's all...

Highrevving is fantastic I agree. But the driver also has to find the nannies off button

Cheers
Robin
Well fair enough. I do think the E46 M3 does have a nice sound to it. I am willing to bet the E46 will actually sound better than the new F80.

on a side note, talking V8 sound. I have also found that a lot of Europeans do not take a liking to V8s. Its not really in there blood to like a deep rumble as much.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #192
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I like the car, but am not sure I will get one any more. I have very different cars on my shortlist, because I cannot decide if I want/ can use a sports car, or do I need the comfort for a daily driver.

MB S600
Tesla Model S
GT-R
GT3

And I guess the M3/4 is on there too, but if I decide to go luxury, it will loose, if I go efficiency it will loose, if I go sporty it will loose...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #193
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Exclamation Let me fix that for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Is this for reals? Go to any true professional races and tell em the same thing. Horsepower wins races. Efficiency is loved by every aspect of race car technology that come along.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #194
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is this for reals? Go to any true professional races and tell em the same thing. Torque wins races. Efficiency is loved by every aspect of race car technology that come along.
It is absolutely for real. Torque is very nearly meaningless. This topic has been debated ad infinitum here on the forum and its pretty well accepted by most who have participated in those debates and discussions. One key thing about torque is without gearing information it tells you nothing. hp basically removes gearing from the equation. Also one can radically alter an engines torque and get no performance improvement (assuming peak hp doesn't change).

Next on to efficiency. There are two basic types of efficiency, fuel efficiency and engine thermodynamic efficiency. They are related but far from strictly correlated. Neither really matters in a road going sports car. Sure I'd like better fuel economy than that in the current M3 (quite poor) but it is always quite for down the list for anyone shopping for a sports car. As far as thermal efficiency, sure it's nice to have, one can get by with less displacement for the same power but simply the rated crank hp is ultimately the only thing that matters. Racing is a different set of constraints and both matter more in racing.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #195
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
this is entirely false. go get yourself some facts.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #196
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I think many of the US M3 E9X owners who're raving about the V8 sound didn't own an EX6 M3 before.

The inline-6 is a real screamer (the 3.2L NA, not todays 3L turbo).
Pedestrians would make gestures at you as if you were a lunatic driver just for accelerating fast up to 4000 RPM.
And you were only half through the rev range at that moment.
I loooove the E46 M3's I6 noise equally as much as my V8. It's the M4 noise that has me going WTF?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #197
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
+1
PS: The only disappointment I have in buying a 2013 M3 is that it makes me regret not buying a new 2006 E46 M3 with my preferred options. If I had done that then I would currently own two M3s. To the guys that like the newest technology or fashion and have to be the first on the block with the new model - well thats cool as well and I can't wait to see you out there on the road.
interesting...
I am now doing the DD in a 2002 330i 5 speed sport with Dinan & UUC stuff, and it is sublime. It has 7900 miles and it is as new from the day I bought it. It has been the GQ for the last 11 years, as I have churned through an e39, e85M, and 2x e36, all fun cars!
Now with the e92M3 and this I feel like I have two new cars with timeless elegance, and I can watch from the sidelines, happily, as this all unfolds.

if I get in a wreck from some idiot, I will be happy to get in an F30/80, but after the bugs are out...

Last edited by G80indy; 09-13-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #198
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

The S65 engine is what I love most about my E92. I won't give it up for a turbo six. I am sure tuners will have a field day boosting the HP. My E92 goes plenty fast for driving around in a big city. I am driving this car into the ground.
Appreciate 0