proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #1
rynmkntn
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 / Elise / EG6

GC vs Vorshlag camber plates

Torn apart on which one to get. Could I get some more input and experiences from yall who have rocked one of these? More so looking at how much camber have yall got with them and quality wise
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynmkntn View Post
Torn apart on which one to get. Could I get some more input and experiences from yall who have rocked one of these? More so looking at how much camber have yall got with them and quality wise

I vote Vorshlag, particularly with the latest design that allows for more negative camber. Vorshlag also has a more robust bearing, and an overall simpler design. With GC's if you want to alternate between max and min camber you have to flip bolts on the slider, it's annoying. If you haven't checked out Farkle's various videos on camber plates you should, here are a couple:

Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4016.00
      12-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

+1 for the Vorshlag plates. I have them on KW V3 coilovers (stock spring perch size). I cannot tell any difference in NVH between the full OEM and the Vorshlag plates. They have been really great. The Vorshlag plates let me switch easily between street and track camber setups, and takes me less than 1 minute to do once the front tires are off the ground.

In my picture, you can see the plates set at my street setting of -2.0 degrees and that is at the maximum outside adjustment, meaning I cannot get any less front camber than -2.0. Moving the plate to the middle of the adjustment range is right at -3.0 degrees for me, which is my current track setup.

My track alignment is -3.0 degrees front camber and -0.3 degrees total front toe (toe'd out). That means after the track day, I can simply move my camber plates out to the minimum negative camber possible of -2.0 degrees and by doing that, it automatically changes my front toe setting to zero toe for the street. It's great that I dont have to visit an alignment shop twice for each track day I do and saves you 400 bucks each time.

The only recommendation I have is to mark the plates in multiple places for your individual settings. Vorshlag provides two double washers with built in arrows for the four adjustment bolts that you can use to make marks by, but the tolerances are not good enough to use for actual adjustment. The first time I adjusted the camber on the alignment rack, I marked where -2.0 and -3.0 camber was, then I moved the car, readjusted from street to track setting like I was simulating a track day, and then I put the car back on the alignment rack only to find that adjusting the plates to my markings didnt give me the same camber/toe measurements. Now I mark them three different ways at several X/Y axis points. This allows me to get the top of the strut exactly at the same point each time and my alignment settings are repeatable without needing an alignment rack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 11:42 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynmkntn View Post
I've had 3-4 sets of GC plates and currently have 2 sets of Vorshlag. Saw consistent issues with GC and their parts replacement costs are higher.

You can take a look at the below videos to see more design plusses/minuses on each of them.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 04:55 PM   #5
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I have GC and can get -3.8 (or more), but they are loud. They have always had a clunking sound on bridge seams and bumps that are similar.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 12:19 AM   #6
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I like my vorshlag plates. Haven’t noticed any clunking or noises. Plus the company is very helpful and easy to deal with.

I originally ordered my camber plates for stock suspension, then decided to get coil overs instead. Because I hadn’t installed the camber plates yet, vorshlag let me return them and they sent me the Coilover version and didn’t charge me a cent. Customer for life!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 07:41 PM   #7
eXstasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 F80M3, 11 E93M3, 06 E46M3

+1 for Vorshlag as a company

I picked up some coilovers including Vorshlag camber plates secondhand. They only had 3 bolts each since the previous owner had a 3 bolt car. I emailed Vorshlag asking to purchase 2 additional bolts each side.

After asking to see a picture of my camber plate, they sent me 4 of my requested bolts, plus an additional 6 strut brace bolts that I did not even know I needed. Apparently when re-using the OEM strut brace bolts you can sometimes contact the spring perch. (see picture below)

All of this was free of charge for customer good will, and I was not even their original customer.

Appreciate 2
FaRKle!4016.00
regpaq73.50