Lease SwApp
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
K81M3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Key Read Error

So as you may start to gather from my various posts, I'm buying a F80 M3, still going through the CP and non CP emotions.

However, just asked for a key read printout and there are two error codes which I have no idea about, both occurred on mileage 4171(car has total mileage of 4678)

00042 - Cont. driving possible: Brake System (Brake System: avoid hard braking, have the problem checked by the nearest service Centre)
00781 - Rear axle differential lock - (Rear axle differential lock reduced, you can continue driving. Have the problem checked by the nearest service Centre)

The sales guy mentioned there is no record of any work being carried out as a result, and no record of any warranty work.

Surely the previous owner would have had to go into the dealership to have it checked and cleared etc.

Any ideas what those error codes are, what would have caused them to ping up etc.

Thanks again all for your advice and help, can't wait to just get into one
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
MarkG_M3CP
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by K81M3 View Post
So as you may start to gather from my various posts, I'm buying a F80 M3, still going through the CP and non CP emotions.

However, just asked for a key read printout and there are two error codes which I have no idea about, both occurred on mileage 4171(car has total mileage of 4678)

00042 - Cont. driving possible: Brake System (Brake System: avoid hard braking, have the problem checked by the nearest service Centre)
00781 - Rear axle differential lock - (Rear axle differential lock reduced, you can continue driving. Have the problem checked by the nearest service Centre)

The sales guy mentioned there is no record of any work being carried out as a result, and no record of any warranty work.

Surely the previous owner would have had to go into the dealership to have it checked and cleared etc.

Any ideas what those error codes are, what would have caused them to ping up etc.

Thanks again all for your advice and help, can't wait to just get into one
I had a key read a while back and those very errors were on mine.

I think they were as a result of stalling the car - sometimes if you're going from D to R and back quickly it can out fox the DCT and the car stalls. This is when I've seen the diff error pop up and the brake error was at the same mileage in my error log.

Wouldn't worry about it - if it was a critical failure it would show up in iDrive.
      05-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
K81M3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
I had a key read a while back and those very errors were on mine.

I think they were as a result of stalling the car - sometimes if you're going from D to R and back quickly it can out fox the DCT and the car stalls. This is when I've seen the diff error pop up and the brake error was at the same mileage in my error log.

Wouldn't worry about it - if it was a critical failure it would show up in iDrive.
Cool - that makes sense. Thanks
Appreciate 0