R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Auto start stop feature working much more after break in.

Hey Guys,
Was just kind of curious how much you guys auto start stop worked before breakin was completed. My car is a 6mt so not sure if that matteres much. Before break in was over I think my car maybe cut off and went to ready mode twice. Now a week after post break in its been doing it a lot more when I come to stops at lights and traffic. Anyone else experience this? The temp has cooled down some so I'm using the AC less so not sure if that has anything to do with it feeling like it does not need to run at stop lights now as the engines not working as hard. Usually im in sport mode most times.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #2
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

It's possible the cooler weather conditions are affecting how much ASS turns on. The break in period has no effect on ASS.
      11-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
voodoogeek
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 moonstone

Garage List
2014 F82 BMW M4  [0.00]
I turn the damn thing off right after starting the engine as I'm convinced it increases wear-and-tear on the engine a lot and I don't really care about the saved fuel amount it may bring. everytime I forget turning it off, I hate myself at the first redlight it activates itself. asked the dealer if they can re-code it to keep the last setting or to default to "disabled" when igniting the engine, they said it can be done (european versions are configured to "enabled after start", whereas in US I think, the car keeps the last setting, i.e. stays OFF once you've turned it off, after re-starting the engine next time).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Was pretty sure the break in itself had no effect on ASS but I did see them plug in a coding box before my car was done and thought that may be connected. Also I'll most likely turn it off now that it seems to work more. Before I never turned it off because it never seemed like it was going to activate so i just left it be. Nut now ill turn it off.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Algol
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
Hey Guys,
Was just kind of curious how much you guys auto start stop worked before breakin was completed. My car is a 6mt so not sure if that matteres much. Before break in was over I think my car maybe cut off and went to ready mode twice. Now a week after post break in its been doing it a lot more when I come to stops at lights and traffic. Anyone else experience this? The temp has cooled down some so I'm using the AC less so not sure if that has anything to do with it feeling like it does not need to run at stop lights now as the engines not working as hard. Usually im in sport mode most times.
Cooler temps will prevent the car from shutting off more often. My Auto Start/Stop didnt work at all during breakin.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
If you are running the A/C, it's hot outside and the interior is hot as well, the ASS will not shut your engine off. If you are in sport or sport plus throttle settings the ASS will not shut off your engine off. If the engine is cold and/or the outside temperature is cold and the interior is cold, ASS will not shut your engine off. There are lots of variables on how ASS works.

Basically keeping the engine at optimal operating temperature and the interior within a comfortable range of the climate control settings take precedence over ASS operation.

On my car ASS worked prior to break in service, but only when the engine temperature and environmental condition fit the criteria for it's operation.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919
If you are running the A/C, it's hot outside and the interior is hot as well, the ASS will not shut your engine off. If you are in sport or sport plus throttle settings the ASS will not shut off your engine off. If the engine is cold and/or the outside temperature is cold and the interior is cold, ASS will not shut your engine off. There are lots of variables on how ASS works.

Basically keeping the engine at optimal operating temperature and the interior within a comfortable range of the climate control settings take precedence over ASS operation.

On my car ASS worked prior to break in service, but only when the engine temperature and environmental condition fit the criteria for it's operation.
Cool. Thanx.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:30 AM   #8
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoogeek View Post
whereas in US I think, the car keeps the last setting, i.e. stays OFF once you've turned it off, after re-starting the engine next time.
Yes, fortunately that is true for US cars
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0