ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #23
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

How do you get invited? I have f80 on order.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #24
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3aviator View Post
How do you get invited? I have f80 on order.

https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #25
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Had my Lime Rock session yesterday and never had so much fun with cars. This was damn good time. I'll be honest, I don't know anything about Lime Rock Park. When I saw a simple map of what the track looked like - pretty straight, not many turns, I wasn't expecting much. Damn I'm happy I was wrong. This is really fast track and elevation changes were awesome. The S-chicane was a great idea to allow the people who were trailing to catch up.

My group was lucky enough to do the autocross first. I wasn't expecting the event to be mostly solo affair. I've done 3 autocross and 1 Car Control Clinic before at BMW's Ultimate Driving Events but all had an instructor in the passenger seat. I don't think 3 laps is enough for this. 1 for learning and 2 serious attempts gets by too quickly. I was 4th car in line and noticed the 3 cars ahead of me were just driving slowly to 'learn' the course. I decided to take the 1st lap much more seriously than they were. MDM mode was allowed and I certainly felt it working to make me look better than I think I am.

Drag race was next, M5, M6, X6M - start off on the line and stop in the box the fastest wins. I lost every attempt lol - carried too much speed and kept stopping blowing past the end. My time here was cut short unfortunately and didn't get to race the M6. The number of people was higher than they usually dealing with and some of the drivers kept doing things they were told not to do.

Follow the leader in M2 was next followed by the M3. This was definitely my favorite part and glad it was the last bits to do in the day. First time in the M2 and thought it was very smooth and easy to handle. I started in the back of the line and kept a close distance with each car I was behind of. The pack I was with had a slow pace as there was a 2nd M2 group that caught up to us. There was also a M3 group but since that car has so much more power, thats to be expected. I felt robbed with my time in the M2 when I chased the instructor though as we pitted after being behind him for 1 lap.

M3 is savage by comparison. Granted I had everything Sport Plus and high shift setting. Without a doubt the M3 beats you up while accelerating and shifting than compared with the M2. It also felt a lot faster than the M2 and the pace everyone set was very good. Getting up behind the instructor, who was in a M2, was great and the both of us left a probably the largest gap between me and the car behind me.

Day ended with instructor hot laps which pretty much reminded everyone, they're better than you lol. A few laps done with drifting thrown in was lots of fun. The instructor I was with decided to ignore the S-chicane and blew past the cones (hitting one, that's 2 secs!) and get up the high speed right hander up the hill. We all felt ourselves get a little light at the top. As a bonus, the instructors asked everyone to get into any M car to help them ferry them closer from the track to their main building so they can prep them for the next day.

So happy I was able to sign up at the last minute. I initially intended to drop my Miami registration in August. This was so good I might keep it and take a small vacation to Miami

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #26
cayenne444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Would this be worth going to if you had to pay for it like the CCA events?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #27
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
Not for me. You don't really get that much track time.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #28
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
I would not pay $300 for that event, because after driving m2 and m4 on the track, I didn't really enjoy or understood the capabilities of eather car as they don't let you drive even in MDM mode.
Also you have to follow an instructor at a pace he choses, which is slower than I liked.
On the other hand, if you want to drive these cars at the track(relatively slow, with TC on), drive high end BMW models at the small autocross course, and drag race from 0-100 with MDM on, sit in M4 for one or two laps with instructor driving with TC off at full speed and drifting in the corners, it might be a good idea.

Last edited by Datka; 10-20-2016 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0