Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Symptoms indicating it's time for new bushings

I have a higher mileage F80 (approaching 88k miles) and would like to determine if new bushings are appropriate. What signs should I be paying attention to?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think there's anything wrong with my bushings but hard to know since we're in uncharted territory with this platform and I don't often drive other F8x cars. My F80 has been on KW V3 for 60k miles and driven year round in Chicago. Handles and corners like a dream when paired with a BBK (6/4 piston) along with R-compound tires (RE-71Rs) in the summer and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ the rest of the year. We see 30-60F temp about 9-months out of the year. I don't drive my F80 when it snows. Car only sees 2 HPDE per year but driven spiritedly almost everyday.

Reason for me raising this topic is because I recently rode in a friends F80 on a ~200 mile long distance cruise who just replaced his differential bushings and I notice the ride was very smooth and planted, especially for a car with only springs but pushing 600whp on Pure Turbos.

My question can and should be expanded to cover all bushings on the F8x vehicle (not just differential but perhaps even control arms, etc. etc.) so all you experts please do chime in. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
I have a higher mileage F80 (approaching 88k miles) and would like to determine if new bushings are appropriate. What signs should I be paying attention to?

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think there's anything wrong with my bushings but hard to know since we're in uncharted territory with this platform and I don't often drive other F8x cars. My F80 has been on KW V3 for 60k miles and driven year round in Chicago. Handles and corners like a dream when paired with a BBK (6/4 piston) along with R-compound tires (RE-71Rs) in the summer and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ the rest of the year. We see 30-60F temp about 9-months out of the year. I don't drive my F80 when it snows. Car only sees 2 HPDE per year but driven spiritedly almost everyday.

Reason for me raising this topic is because I recently rode in a friends F80 on a ~200 mile long distance cruise who just replaced his differential bushings and I notice the ride was very smooth and planted, especially for a car with only springs but pushing 600whp on Pure Turbos.

My question can and should be expanded to cover all bushings on the F8x vehicle (not just differential but perhaps even control arms, etc. etc.) so all you experts please do chime in. Thank you!
I have a feeling it's the softness of your KW3s. Try making it softer to see if the ride is more compliant?

Also AS3+ is a stiffer tire than a Summer Tire because of the compound.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0