Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
Divowatts
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Trying to fix my M3

So I bought a used 2017 F80 M3 with 25k miles and damage with full intention to rebuild it. I repaired/rebuilt my 328i and 750Li so I have a decent understanding of what to do.

So far the damages are:
2 front radiators, oil cooler, bumper, dead li-ion battery, possible frame damage (the 4 extenders that hold the radiator housing seem to be misaligned), and the skid plate.

Problem 1:
So far I have reassembled the radiator housing with the compressor and 2 radiators. I am having issues placing the radiators high enough. It looks like the oil cooler (it sits on the bottom) is not high enough. I am not sure what to do about it, the entire radiator assembly is constructed and all hoses line up perfectly, but I cannot get the radiator assembly to line up with the frame on the bottom.
It is hard to explain, basically I can get the radiator assembly to fit and line up with everything except the actual slide over frame pieces where you screw in the bolt (2 attachments at the bottom) My radiator is sitting about 1 inch too low, what am I doing wrong.

Problem 2:
The Li-ion battery is completely dead. I tried using a C-tek charger to slow charge it, but it is showing that it isn't even reading a battery. I have zero power, I think the battery is 100% dead. How do I jump this car with a completely dead battery? Can I jump it with any 12V, or because it is an Li-ion could I possibly do some damage. i.e. I am planning on just doing a basic jump from my 328i to the M3. Will this even work?
BMW said they might cover my battery under warranty but I am not sure (I know it is dealer dependent).

I just want to drive my 6MT F80 M3, please help me fix it! (I know you all understand)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd try to go via BMW warranty for everything which is not crash damage related. For starters, the battery. It won't hurt trying to jump the car with another car, either.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Selleral
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divowatts View Post
So I bought a used 2017 F80 M3 with 25k miles and damage with full intention to rebuild it. I repaired/rebuilt my 328i and 750Li so I have a decent understanding of what to do.

So far the damages are:
2 front radiators, oil cooler, bumper, dead li-ion battery, possible frame damage (the 4 extenders that hold the radiator housing seem to be misaligned), and the skid plate.

Problem 1:
So far I have reassembled the radiator housing with the compressor and 2 radiators. I am having issues placing the radiators high enough. It looks like the oil cooler (it sits on the bottom) is not high enough. I am not sure what to do about it, the entire radiator assembly is constructed and all hoses line up perfectly, but I cannot get the radiator assembly to line up with the frame on the bottom.
It is hard to explain, basically I can get the radiator assembly to fit and line up with everything except the actual slide over frame pieces where you screw in the bolt (2 attachments at the bottom) My radiator is sitting about 1 inch too low, what am I doing wrong.

Problem 2:
The Li-ion battery is completely dead. I tried using a C-tek charger to slow charge it, but it is showing that it isn't even reading a battery. I have zero power, I think the battery is 100% dead. How do I jump this car with a completely dead battery? Can I jump it with any 12V, or because it is an Li-ion could I possibly do some damage. i.e. I am planning on just doing a basic jump from my 328i to the M3. Will this even work?
BMW said they might cover my battery under warranty but I am not sure (I know it is dealer dependent).

I just want to drive my 6MT F80 M3, please help me fix it! (I know you all understand)
Front frame rails straight?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:56 AM   #4
Divowatts
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

as far as I can tell they are exactly straight and measure equally from headlight down.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Selleral
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80

Quote:
as far as I can tell they are exactly straight and measure equally from headlight down.
I'd get a frame measuring tool, and rent another f80 on Turo or something and measuring everything up - you'll find what's different. Sounds like something is still bent.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Take pictures of your radiator area and the problem areas I'll see what I can do to help with that.

As far as the battery if the cells in the battery are dead, the batter wont come back. You can use any 12V battery to theoretically get the car moving as the alternator and regulator take over once its on, Just FYI though possibly any high amp draw might cause you to stall.

For the rads not fitting up, are you checking Realoem for diagrams? maybe you are missing some mounting brackets or assemblies for that space.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #7
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Problem 2:

I don’t recall all of the exact terminology off the top of my head, but hopefully what I’m writing makes some sense.

The battery will trip some circuitry to protect itself when the voltage gets really low, and this has to be reset to enable charging. Attaching a CTEK charger and holding the reset button on it for 30 seconds will supposedly deliver a burst of current to reset the circuit. After that, it should charge.

Have you already tried this?
Appreciate 0