European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

10-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #45
schmitzna
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Code to Disable Active Sound

HU_NBT Module: ASD_SOUND_OFF set to: aktiv

If you want to turn active sound off, put your car in Comfort mode. With the windows closed, the car sounds no different in Comfort, Sport or Sport+ after you disable active sound. I didn't like that so I turned active sound back on.

Therefore, any additional sounds you hear when changing modes with the windows closed are all synthesized.

That's right, synthesized. It is not amplified sound. In the ASD Module you can code different synthesizer programs from twin turbo V12 to twin turbo V8 to diesel. I will play with those someday just for grins.

I wonder what a diesel sounds like at 7500rpm?

Last edited by schmitzna; 10-17-2014 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #46
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 TTS

I wouldn't be surprised if those that spend 5k+ on aftermarket exhaust systems would rather hear that than the piped in exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #47
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoevo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if those that spend 5k+ on aftermarket exhaust systems would rather hear that than the piped in exhaust note.
Personally I have been feeling the same. If I wanted more sound I would try to find a way to code this to play louder. Some may want to shoot me for saying this but the Active Sound is more pleasing to me than the actual exhaust note. Also less attention from the revenue collectors is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #48
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
Personally I have been feeling the same. If I wanted more sound I would try to find a way to code this to play louder. Some may want to shoot me for saying this but the Active Sound is more pleasing to me than the actual exhaust note. Also less attention from the revenue collectors is a good thing.
I see your point. I think what I was trying to say, however; is that those with aftermarket exhausts would rather not have that shiny new piece of kit perverted by a synthesized sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #49
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitzna View Post
HU_NBT Module: ASD_SOUND_OFF set to: aktiv

If you want to turn active sound off, put your car in Comfort mode. With the windows closed, the car sounds no different in Comfort, Sport or Sport+ after you disable active sound.
Thanks Schmitz - this is key info!

Once I get my car and figure out how to code - I will play around with AS as well.

But to start it is nice to know the car does not have significant AS contribution in Comfort Mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #50
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
If the fact that it's fake doesn't bother you then it makes total sense to me. To my ear the natural sound of this car is not good... At all. In any way. I'll be surprised if any exhaust fixes it, so fake sound is a great cheap alternative.

Now that's balanced to me by the absolutely intoxicating sounds of the turbos (in the vert with the top down)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #51
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by /// M sa View Post
I don't give a shit either way cause it sounds amazing.
I am ordering a new M4 in the next month or so and I'm excited about it but I would never admit it sounds "amazing"

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #52
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I am ordering a new M4 in the next month or so and I'm excited about it but I would never admit it sounds "amazing"
Thats your opinion, they are all like aholes as we all have them. Yes, the sounds its amazing to me inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #53
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

it would be even more amazing if you put F1 sound in your car

http://www.soundracer.se/

I could understand peop... kids installing these in their riced up Civics but really shouldn't have place in an M car... I mean what's next, adding zeros on dash numbers to break 1 Mach?!
Appreciate 0