Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
giulio12
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 (F83)

BMW M4 F83 on the Snow

Hello,

I live in Switzerland very close to the alps and I would like to know if I can use my M to go to the mountain, the road might be covered by snow and can have steepness up to 13-14%.

I have winter tires with a size of 275/35ZR19.
Which solution of alternative to snow chains would you recommend? Will they work well?

Thank you,
Giulio
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

It all depends on what type of winter tires you have, if they are performance winters like alpina pa4's i would not hit up a mountain side with that.

You need dedicated winter tires to do this especially with a decent incline like that. Other than that it's going to depend on how well you manage sliding.

I would suggest you turn traction control completely off or you will get absolutely stuck, make sure you are moving, if you do get stuck just prop in second gear turn tc off and essentially floor it while moving that wheel till you dislodge
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #3
giulio12
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 (F83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
It all depends on what type of winter tires you have, if they are performance winters like alpina pa4's i would not hit up a mountain side with that.

You need dedicated winter tires to do this especially with a decent incline like that. Other than that it's going to depend on how well you manage sliding.

I would suggest you turn traction control completely off or you will get absolutely stuck, make sure you are moving, if you do get stuck just prop in second gear turn tc off and essentially floor it while moving that wheel till you dislodge
I have Continental Winter contacto TS 680. I believe that are some standard winter snow. I was considering to buy a pair of tire socks. Do you think they might help or are just useless on the winter tires?

Thank you,
Giulio
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
Shadowmak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

ur not allowed to use snow chains on a 275 tire... u would destroy ur fenders...

U need a set of 640M or 641M wheels to put snow chains on...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

I have Continental Winter contacto TS 680. I believe that are some standard winter snow. I was considering to buy a pair of tire socks. Do you think they might help or are just useless on the winter tires?

Thank you,
Giulio
are those studded?

If you have a ton of snow and you drive up in mountains and if they aren't banned i would get studded tires.

you are in switzerland so i am not sure what the rules are but you wouldn't catch me dead on a mountain side in a 500hp rwd car with anything less than studded winters.
Appreciate 0