Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
jbed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 - ZCP - DCT - BSM/SS

Evaluating lowering F80 ZCP - what were your ride quality and NVH changes?

Hi-

I'm looking for feedback from fellow F80 M3 with ZCP owners with modest spring drops. What springs have you used to lower your car and how did they compare to stock? I'm most interested in hearing reviews from those of you with Dinan, KW or MP HAS kits. But if you have another street oriented recommendation, I'm very interested.

Why? Purely Aesthetics, love the way the car handles and balances comfort and sportiness. But, the stance of the car is just an inch too high in the front but I'm hoping not to make the ride any harsher than the ZCP is in stock form.

I've searched extensively and I don't see many straight forward answers to this question.

As many astute members will inquire - From a wheel and tire perspective, I'm running MPSS on 666M's and plan to upgrade to PS4S after some HPDE this spring. I'll also be spacing 12-15mm all around with stock tire widths when I come off my Blizzak/VMR winter setup. I'm maintaining 31 psi cold on all corners. I plan to keep the adaptive suspension capability.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

-I never drop on just springs. I always go with a matched set of shocks + springs as a unit.

-I don't miss my adaptive sus at all on my '18 ZCP

-Lowering on stock wheels looks horrible

-Stock wheels look narrow

-Spacers suck

-I run KW Variant 3s on 20" BBS FI-Rs --> very pleased
      01-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Just a head's up -- the PS4S run a bit wider than the PSS. Meaning a 295 PS4S is actually 2-3mm wider than a 295 PSS. They are beefier for sure.

Once my stock 666m tires were toast (265F, 285R) I had them replaced with the PS4S. I kept the 265 up front but changed the rear to 295. In your case, I would stick to the factory tire widths (285 in the rear) only if you value handling more than straight line traction. While I do enjoy the occasional twisty on-ramp, most of my driving is straight-line due to where I live. This factored into my decision to run a 295 instead. Just something to think about before you get new rubber.

The car definitely has worse steering feel with the 295's in the rear, but it is worth it to me given the notable upgrade in grip and straight line performance. The 295s also look bad ass from the rear, especially since I'm running 10mm spacers. The PS4S are unquestionably a better tire in every aspect than its predecessor.

I have a KW HAS kit sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Once installed, the steering feel will not be as incredible as a stock ZCP setup. However, what is gained in the looks department definitely makes up for this IMO. From what I've read, steering feel takes a hit, but cornering is slightly improved due to a lower center of gravity. It will also be a stiffer ride. I plan on slamming the car on the KW HAS. If you want to allow for the least reduction in comfort, I'd advise just setting the HAS for a more modest drop. Don't slam it by any means but just drop it enough to get rid of that monster truck look up front.
Appreciate 2
jbed39.50
pokerface429.50