Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #23
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Just get a stud set and never deal with bolts again.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 04:51 AM   #24
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Buy new bolts from FCP Euro, and then you can exchange them for another set of new bolts as often as you like...just have to pay return shipping fee.

Definitely agree those bolts in OP car should be replaced as it's impossible to know if they've exceeded elastic limit stress. I assume the hub threads would be ok? That part I'm not clear on (i.e. if there might be localized hub threads with unseen/unknown history of stress beyond elastic limit). Here I'm trying to visualize how the hub threads might fare both with excessive static stress level, then with the driving loads imposed on top of that, *then* adding in what could have happened as the car was driven hard with loosening bolts...at a loss on this part.
If it was my car I would replace the hubs. Pretty expensive, and probably not necessary. I would keep the old hubs in my crate as emergency spares.

However, I would add that I have had the experience of having a wheel come off a car at 220km on a straight. That put me into the wall. Also had a front control arm fail on a rally car, and put me into the trees at 180kmh. So as you can imagine, after those I am pretty thorough with my maintenence, and err on the side of replacing things if there is any doubt
Appreciate 0