Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #23
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
I am definitely happy with my two piece rotors as well. Done 3 dry days and 1 wet day and it only wore like 4mm of DS1.11, with my cheap ATE type 200 fluid still feeling fresh. Didn't get to try at home track demanding braking to the metal but I think at least it will be fine at other 2 tracks (RMP and ORP). Definitely a happy getaway option in my desperate (?) cost saving, until now I ended up with a whooping ~$9k quote (parts/install/setup and all that) for MCS 2ways that makes me consider selling my soul prior next season.
9k is more than what the 3WR costs. No idea how much they are charging you for install and 'setup'. Probably a lot.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #24
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
9k is more than what the 3WR costs. No idea how much they are charging you for install and 'setup'. Probably a lot.
There are lots of parts (mount/sleeve/springs/spacer/toe link/jackers) that adds up whole cost of parts alone to about the MSRP of the 3way. Then labor and corner balance, and probably 'great on track support' factored in. They really know what they are doing though. But the cost is that I think it's due to a small track/racing community we have here and I am happy to help it sustaining when I can.

I was thinking about asking you about the advantage of 2Way over 2WNR. Would it still have performance (i.e. faster) benefit in 20 min HPDE sessions? This is like a $2k question.

Googling tells me that for racing, going with the remotes are no brainer unless they get penalty. But not just the fluid capacity advantage with better heat management with remotes, I read that 2way's shocks comes with bigger (22mm) shaft as well as the whole design/mechanism is different than 2WNR.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
There are lots of parts (mount/sleeve/springs/spacer/toe link/jackers) that adds up whole cost of parts alone to about the MSRP of the 3way. Then labor and corner balance, and probably 'great on track support' factored in. They really know what they are doing though. But the cost is that I think it's due to a small track/racing community we have here and I am happy to help it sustaining when I can.

I was thinking about asking you about the advantage of 2Way over 2WNR. Would it still have performance (i.e. faster) benefit in 20 min HPDE sessions? This is like a $2k question.

Googling tells me that for racing, going with the remotes are no brainer unless they get penalty. But not just the fluid capacity advantage with better heat management with remotes, I read that 2way's shocks comes with bigger (22mm) shaft as well as the whole design/mechanism is different than 2WNR.
The Remote ones are significantly better. The only reason integrated reservoirs exist is due to class racing rules.
Much more space for fluid and valves, better heat management. The valving is completely different.

I've had 3 different sets of 2WNR shocks and won't be getting another one. In fact I'm selling my 2WNR as I've moved the CS to a 3WR. From now on, 3WR for everything and that's it.

The 9k price I quoted included everything. I know there's a bunch of hardware needed, but it doesn't add to that much.

For the 3WR you don't need anyone to set anything up. There are clear points for it set by a professional BMW M driver.

The valving difference is significant. I don't have a sensitively attuned rear end that can detect that the OEM suspension is missing rebound or whatever, but the difference between a 2WNR and a 3WR I can tell without a shadow of doubt the first time I hit a bump on the highway
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Agreed. I’m getting a new complete 3WR setup for my e92 M3 for considerably less than the $9k 2WR installed quote. The shop should not be charging a “setup fee” because that should be included as part of the suspension purchase. IF you decided you wanted to hire them for individual test & tune then you’d be hit with an additional cost. However, the initial purchase and installation fee should not include a “setup fee”. MCS will help you with setup for free.
Appreciate 3
      10-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The Remote ones are significantly better. The only reason integrated reservoirs exist is due to class racing rules.
Much more space for fluid and valves, better heat management. The valving is completely different.

I've had 3 different sets of 2WNR shocks and won't be getting another one. In fact I'm selling my 2WNR as I've moved the CS to a 3WR. From now on, 3WR for everything and that's it.

The 9k price I quoted included everything. I know there's a bunch of hardware needed, but it doesn't add to that much.

For the 3WR you don't need anyone to set anything up. There are clear points for it set by a professional BMW M driver.

The valving difference is significant. I don't have a sensitively attuned rear end that can detect that the OEM suspension is missing rebound or whatever, but the difference between a 2WNR and a 3WR I can tell without a shadow of doubt the first time I hit a bump on the highway
I’ve had 2WNR and currently have 2WR on my M4 (also have 2WR on my 240ix). The 2WNR is an excellent 2-way damper but there’s a significant difference between the performance of the 2WNR and 2WR (3WR is another step up in performance). So it really depends on what your goals are. However, if you decided to go with 2WNR, you can upgrade to 2/3/4WR down the road. I’m going to be upgrading the M4 2WR setup to a 3WR setup soon.
Appreciate 3
      10-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #28
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Agreed. I’m getting a new complete 3WR setup for my e92 M3 for considerably less than the $9k 2WR installed quote. The shop should not be charging a “setup fee” because that should be included as part of the suspension purchase. IF you decided you wanted to hire them for individual test & tune then you’d be hit with an additional cost. However, the initial purchase and installation fee should not include a “setup fee”. MCS will help you with setup for free.
Yeah it was a bit interesting and weird how it works around here which took me few years to figure out; but for cars to be taken to track and driven hard they seem to provide all the money worth of service and support.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #29
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it was a bit interesting and weird how it works around here which took me few years to figure out; but for cars to be taken to track and driven hard they seem to provide all the money worth of service and support.
Interesting. Do you have a breakdown of the costs of the 2WR setup, installation, corner balancing and setup fee?

Installation of a remote reservoir setup isn’t any more difficult than a non-reservoir setup, except for the additional step of installing the reservoirs (front reservoir has a quick disconnect and the rear goes thru the side trunk vents). It’s something you can do yourself or any competent shop can do it. Alignment and corner balancing isn’t a black art - sounds like you could invest in alignment strings and scales and end up spending about the same! However, if you decide to swap spring rates then you could redo the alignment and corner balance yourself. It’s an option...
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #30
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Do you have a breakdown of the costs of the 2WR setup, installation, corner balancing and setup fee?

Installation of a remote reservoir setup isn’t any more difficult than a non-reservoir setup, except for the additional step of installing the reservoirs (front reservoir has a quick disconnect and the rear goes thru the side trunk vents). It’s something you can do yourself or any competent shop can do it. Alignment and corner balancing isn’t a black art - sounds like you could invest in alignment strings and scales and end up spending about the same! However, if you decide to swap spring rates then you could redo the alignment and corner balance yourself. It’s an option...
It adds adapter sleeve pair, upper clevis mount pair, cannister mount kit, spring spacers, tender spring pair, springs, rear weight jackers, rear toe links; a bunch of things that 's worth another $1800. I trust their recommendations- they are way more experienced drivers than I am. I've known them for few years but mostly got around by doing things DIY to save money except few repairs on my other cars but got helped several times at track. I think this is finally the time to support them. ...if I survive the long winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #31
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It adds adapter sleeve pair, upper clevis mount pair, cannister mount kit, spring spacers, tender spring pair, springs, rear weight jackers, rear toe links; a bunch of things that 's worth another $1800. I trust their recommendations- they are way more experienced drivers than I am. I've known them for few years but mostly got around by doing things DIY to save money except few repairs on my other cars but got helped several times at track. I think this is finally the time to support them. ...if I survive the long winter.
Except for the toe links everything else is needed to built a complete 2WR setup. Is it a tender or helper spring? Also, I’d seriously consider going with a rear coilover setup over the stock divorced spring-damper setup. The F8x can use a rear coilover setup without strengthening the rear chassis mount (unlike the e46 and e9x).
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #32
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Except for the toe links everything else is needed to built a complete 2WR setup. Is it a tender or helper spring? Also, I’d seriously consider going with a rear coilover setup over the stock divorced spring-damper setup. The F8x can use a rear coilover setup without strengthening the rear chassis mount (unlike the e46 and e9x).
You my friend, have some serious frequent flyer miles at MCS!

Based on your experience, how difficult is clearing rear sway with rear coil over set up? Many on here have complained about the tight tolerances.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #33
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
You my friend, have some serious frequent flyer miles at MCS!

Based on your experience, how difficult is clearing rear sway with rear coil over set up? Many on here have complained about the tight tolerances.
Once you find something that performs better in all aspects than the other setups you’ve played with for decades you stick with it! I’m adding a 3WR setup to my e92 M3 which is currently running a JRZ setup.

MCS provides offset bushings for the rear damper to provide additional clearance to the sway bar. You’ll also want to use a 2.25” main spring diameter.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      10-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #34
BetrayMyWord
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_M3 View Post
Do you notice any improvement with reduced fade under high temps? I'm looking at Girodisc for my HPDEs @ COTA once I need to swap out my OEM rotors...
- Do you notice any improvement with reduced fade under high temps?

Yes, it did enhance the brake experience quite a lot. But frankly it might be difficult to attributing it to my new rotors, for I had put other updates in the same time as well, including SS brake lines and (my first ever) brake fluid flush with the ABS module.

Speaking the ABS module flush, the track shop I went to was the first one to give such advice; they claimed that otherwise your brake fluid flush would be fruitless. And they charged more since the ABS module flush required use of BMW OEM computer, sort of things.
Appreciate 0