EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Thabeemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 C6

Low mile CPO M4 w/minor on Carfax

Good evening everyone, I’ve been a long time Corvette and Chevy guy and looking at purchasing a low miles (8k) 2019 M4 Lease turn in that is CPO, however there is a minor damage item showing on carfax. I considered having a Beemer shop check it out but even the owner said he wouldn’t waste time getting a PPI showing minor especially being CPO and low miles. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? First time bmw owner, driven them in past but never owned one don’t want to make a mistake with this especially down the road if I decide to sell in like 4 years. Love the car it’s the color combo I was looking for and the price is $59k does that seem fair price?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I would do a PPI even without carfax damage. It's well worth the cost. My shop found some things I was then able to get addressed before buying. Price seems fair.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Thabeemer
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I have a deposit on the car and naturally they are trying to get me to buy it ASAP but I said I wanted to get it looked at so could be gone by end of weekend. If not will definitely get a PPI next week as it seems like an awesome car!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

depends on the spec of the car. comp pack ? carbon ceramics ? individual color ? exec pack ?

for a base m4 with normal options in a standard color with 8000 miles i wouldn't offer more than 55k with a carfax ding. regardless of how minor it was. because its going to be a pain when you try and sell it. people will lowball the hell out of you.

my advice would be to wait for something to come along with a clean carfax.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
Thabeemer
United_States
Rep

It has the comp pack, executive pack, black on black.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thabeemer View Post
It has the comp pack, executive pack, black on black.
Curious ...why are you moving away form corvettes? or keeping but just expanding interests?....my last car was a 18 C7 z51 M7. great car
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
Thabeemer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Curious ...why are you moving away form corvettes? or keeping but just expanding interests?....my last car was a 18 C7 z51 M7. great car
I love corvettes just sold my recent one a month ago. Actually was looking at some c7 grand sports but getting in and out for a daily driver didn’t seem as practical as the m4, although the m4 is still kinda low getting into. Been kinda tough as my vettes were always weekend drivers and have a truck as primary but it’s lifted and I’m wanting to sell and just go to one vehicle so still trying to make a final decision this weekend. I also looked at a CPO e450 Coupé which were really comfortable and look pretty cool I just felt too “old” in the Mercedes haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
Thabeemer
United_States
Rep

Do any of you miss not having a sunroof in your m4?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I don't have an M4, but I missed having a sunroof in two of my cars. It was the one thing that I had to have in my M3. If it's something you enjoy don't make that compromise. I did and hated not being able to open the sunroof on a nice cool day here in Florida.

I know the CF roof people turn their noses up at the sunroof cars, but the weight savings for my daily commute doesn't really matter. If you like to look of the Cf over the sunroof, well then that's your decision maker right there. But trust me, it will be a mistake that you will regret, and I've had over 70 cars.
doug_9992542.50
      12-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #10
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Dealers have been known to CPO cars that have extensive damage. It's cool that your shop is telling you not to do a PPI but it's not their money. If I'm paying close to $60k for a car I'm having a PPI. I'd honestly look at a different shop if I were you
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #11
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Heres one opinion

NOPE! I don't care much for sunroofs I've always avoided them... even the removable top on my C7 was just a novelty to me. Maybe if I lived in a better climate? like in so cal.

I much prefer my carbon roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

Quote:
Good evening everyone, I’ve been a long time Corvette and Chevy guy and looking at purchasing a low miles (8k) 2019 M4 Lease turn in that is CPO, however there is a minor damage item showing on carfax. I considered having a Beemer shop check it out but even the owner said he wouldn’t waste time getting a PPI showing minor especially being CPO and low miles. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? First time bmw owner, driven them in past but never owned one don’t want to make a mistake with this especially down the road if I decide to sell in like 4 years. Love the car it’s the color combo I was looking for and the price is $59k does that seem fair price?
Hey man. I know you’re new to BMW and I wouldn’t have a clue what the nickname of a vette is either, but the correct term you’re looking for here is Bimmer

Beemer and Beamer are only terms for BMW motorcycles..... jus sayin

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Do what makes you comfortable.
Other thoughts: ask him if he has photos of the accident and or what was repaired along with the invoice. If they are resistant I would walk because the price is for a quick sale.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:46 AM   #14
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
all 3 of my cars dont have a sunroof. my gf's tlx does and we hardly ever use it.

cf roof looks better, better resale, more headroom. and of course less weight is always welcome in my book. if there was an option to remove the heavy ass power seats for lightweight manual ones i'd pick that too.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #15
Thabeemer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Heres one opinion

NOPE! I don't care much for sunroofs I've always avoided them... even the removable top on my C7 was just a novelty to me. Maybe if I lived in a better climate? like in so cal.

I much prefer my carbon roof.
See your in Seattle I imagine you don’t get many sunny days for top off weather like we get here in Florida! Well it looks like the car sold, and honestly the dealer was a little strange almost aggressive about trying to down talk the minor damage on carfax, on top of that the sales guy I was talking to seemed like a thug. Even had the manager call me to ask if the reason I changed my mind was because of this fella, laughed to myself on that. Well I’m going to keep looking, try and find a sunroof m4 or convertible and also keeping the Benz coupe and possibly another vette as an option. I’ve had three vettes, one was a coupe two were convertibles over the years, always liked the look of the beemers (bimmers?) so thought I would give the m4 a try before I get too old and have to get the big body 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #16
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
See your in Seattle I imagine you don’t get many sunny days for top off weather like we get here in Florida! Well it looks like the car sold, and honestly the dealer was a little strange almost aggressive about trying to down talk the minor damage on carfax, on top of that the sales guy I was talking to seemed like a thug. Even had the manager call me to ask if the reason I changed my mind was because of this fella, laughed to myself on that. Well I’m going to keep looking, try and find a sunroof m4 or convertible and also keeping the Benz coupe and possibly another vette as an option. I’ve had three vettes, one was a coupe two were convertibles over the years, always liked the look of the beemers (bimmers?) so thought I would give the m4 a try before I get too old and have to get the big body 7 series.
If it was a non-BMW dealer selling it, the car could not be CPO. CPO is only done by BMW dealers and while it can transfer between private parties once sold as CPO, it is no longer CPO once it goes to a non-BMW dealer. It also sounds odd that a 2019 was a lease turn in since most BMW leases are 36 mos.
      12-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
Thabeemer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
If it was a non-BMW dealer selling it, the car could not be CPO. CPO is only done by BMW dealers and while it can transfer between private parties once sold as CPO, it is no longer CPO once it goes to a non-BMW dealer. It also sounds odd that a 2019 was a lease turn in since most BMW leases are 36 mos.
I agree the whole thing sounded odd. I got my deposit back, just decided to wait for one with clean title. The car literally sold right after they gave me my deposit back, guess someone was right behind me that didn't care about the minor damage on carfax. Thinking I'm going to keep a lookout for a convertible m4, as there don't seem to be many coupes with sunroofs except in white which I'm not crazy about. So looks like the vert will be the way to go for me!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:51 AM   #18
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I miss my sunroof every day. And because they are so rare, they actually are worth more over the silly "weight saving" (albeit cool looking on lighter color car) CF roof.

Your price was fair and minor carfax damage is not the end of the world. Alas, everything works out for a reason - so the next one will be even better.
Appreciate 0