GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #9703
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

Phones are far different than cars in terms of how people view them.
Given I'm married I forgot the most thing: SEX

In general, in 2010, no hetero-dude with muscle tone was gonna buy an iPhone - WAY too wussy ...

... Until hetero-chicks made one thing very clear: if you want to have sex, show me you've got resources.

Turned out the easiest & best way to do that was with an iPhone. it's modern day jewelry & it more/less attracts the RIGHT kind chick (unlike, say, a Rolex which attracts the wrong ones).

In 5 years fancy BEVs will be like iPhones; any 30-40 something single dude who enjoys sex will have to have a BEV.
I'm pretty muscular (…ex physique competitor) and straight….and in my early 40's……and panties usually fall off within minutes of entering my residence. Lol! I had an iPhone in 2010…….reluctantly though, because at the time, I despised Apple. I was on my second E9X M3 and the Galaxy phone just wouldn't work well with the iDrive, so I moved over to Apple for the convenience. Then I bought a MacBook…..and then another MacBook. Apple got me!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:26 PM   #9704
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I don't remember any hate for the E46 M3 on e46fanatics, honestly. I do remember some people not liking the LSB and PY colors, but no one disliked the car itself.
I remember it pretty vividly because that was right when I came to BMW. I'm still a mod on that site as well. I wish I could dig up old threads from circa 2001.
🤔

Back on the topic of G8x, after not seeing any I saw 4 today! All M3's. I guess they're all hiding in the Sunny Isles/N Miami Beach area.

None of them look good, but I was struck by how much the right color means to this car. I saw these colors:

Black: guessing this the best color because the depth of black just drowns out all the stupid extraneous bulges, creases, lines and grills that make this car such a designer's shit show.

Dark gray: is skyscraper gray the dark gray of the lineup? This one looked darker than the pics - to my eyes it looked space Gray. It was second best of the group but that's not saying much

Toronto red: this is a very handsome color and the guy had his positively gleaming. It contrasts and accentuates the negative space created by the black grilles, lower cladding and diffuser, which is not a good thing at all. But I think I'd love to get a better looking BMW in this color, it's really nice.

Sao Paolo Yellow: saving the worst for last. Dear god this color looks like runny dogshit. How can a color look fluorescent and flat at the same time?? It's this neon chartreuse with an utter lack of depth that is just..terrible. And it highlights the grilles and diffusers like…well, a highlighter. Why did they choose this as the launch color?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25100.00
stein_325i25083.00
      07-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #9705
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't remember any hate for the E46 M3 on e46fanatics, honestly. I do remember some people not liking the LSB and PY colors, but no one disliked the car itself.
I remember it pretty vividly because that was right when I came to BMW. I'm still a mod on that site as well. I wish I could dig up old threads from circa 2001.
🤔

Back on the topic of G8x, after not seeing any I saw 4 today! All M3's. I guess they're all hiding in the Sunny Isles/N Miami Beach area.

None of them look good, but I was struck by how much the right color means to this car. I saw these colors:

Black: guessing this the best color because the depth of black just drowns out all the stupid extraneous bulges, creases, lines and grills that make this car such a designer's shit show.

Dark gray: is skyscraper gray the dark gray of the lineup? This one looked darker than the pics - to my eyes it looked space Gray. It was second best of the group but that's not saying much

Toronto red: this is a very handsome color and the guy had his positively gleaming. It contrasts and accentuates the negative space created by the black grilles, lower cladding and diffuser, which is not a good thing at all. But I think I'd love to get a better looking blé in this color, it's really nice.

Sao Paolo Yellow: saving the worst for last. Dear god this color looks like runny dogshit. How can a color look fluorescent and full at the same time?? It's this neon chartreuse with an utter lack of depth that is just..terrible. And it highlights the grilles and diffusers like…well, a highlighter. Why did they choose this as the launch color?
You probably saw Dravit Gray unless it was an Individual color, which could be possible given the sheer number of Individual cars I've seen so early in an M's life cycle.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #9706
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Looked it up and yeah - it's definitely Dravit. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25100.00
      07-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #9707
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Here's the big question: Would you drive a black or Dravit G8X?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 09:29 PM   #9708
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i dont remember a significant hate for the e46 m3. The e92 wasn't as well received because it broke with the traditional inline 6, and gained some pounds. I think most were indifferent to the looks. it wasn't bad. but also didn't set itself apart from the base 3-series very much. With the F80 most people liked the looks.. but were split on if they wanted an M car with turbos.

g80 has gotten the most hate i've seen for an M product. more than what i remember seeing when bmw announced the x5 M.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25100.00
stein_325i25083.00
minn1914034.50
      07-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #9709
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i dont remember a significant hate for the e46 m3. The e92 wasn't as well received because it broke with the traditional inline 6, and gained some pounds. I think most were indifferent to the looks. it wasn't bad. but also didn't set itself apart from the base 3-series very much. With the F80 most people liked the looks.. but were split on if they wanted an M car with turbos.

g80 has gotten the most hate i've seen for an M product. more than what i remember seeing when bmw announced the x5 M.
Let's see….

….coming from the E36'ers, the E46 was criticized for weight (…even being called a "heavy pig"), the tinny/raspy sounding exhaust, some didn't like the looks and complained about the front end, etc. Sure, one could argue there wasn't as much discord, but there weren't as many platforms to troll either, so it's impossible to really know how deep the discord ran comparatively. The E46 M3 was my first M, so I was over the moon about it; my first one was even Phoenix Yellow with Imola Red leather. I didn't know what all of the complaints & fuss were about, but I didn't have any E36 M3 perspective either. My first BMW was an E46 330ci, so that was the beginning of my data point. Of course, time flew by and it was regaled as the last real M car. Rinse & repeat its successors up until the outgoing F8X. Again, I'll reference the volatile nature of the "enthusiast." It may be hard for many to remember the jabber from 2002, but I doubt any of us have forgotten the criticisms of the 1M. I mean, that car wasn't even considered an M car by enthusiasts initially; criticized for being a cheap parts bin special wannabe put together in BMW M's garage overnight. Fast forward a bit and all of a sudden the hate dissipated and the car appreciated; an outlier for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #9710
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Like, if someone asked me "drive a G80 or I'll castrate you with a dull hand saw"? I'd get a black one.

But if someone said "drive a G80 or I'll scoop out one of your eyes with a grapefruit spoon"? Take my right eye, I can see better out of the left one. And I'd look rather rakishly handsome with an eyepatch anyway.

I do remember the complaints about exhaust rasp now that you mention it. But hardly an existential crisis, and it was the crusty Roadfly guys that complained about the weight, not really us e46fanatics.

Who complained about the looks? The statute of limitations for shaming hasn't expired yet after 20 years…
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25100.00
stein_325i25083.00
minn1914034.50
      07-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #9711
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
They said the E46 wouldn't age well either, but now……
Really? I don't remember that. Not to say that it didn't happen, but it was a different time and information wasn't spread quite as quickly as today.

I do remember lusting for E46 M3s I saw on autocross courses and in magazines. As a former Honda fanboy, I remember thinking that any engine achieving over 100 HP per liter of normally aspirated displacement was a damn fine piece of engineering. The E46 managed 333 horsepower from 3.2 liters, right? The styling is positively sedate by today's standards, but flowed naturally into the E92 and F8X. The G8X went a whole different direction, obviously, which is why most of us are in this thread.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25100.00
stein_325i25083.00
      07-17-2021, 09:55 PM   #9712
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Like, if someone asked me "drive a G80 or I'll castrate you with a dull hand saw"? I'd get a black one.

But if someone said "drive a G80 or I'll scoop out one of your eyes with a grapefruit spoon"? Take my right eye, I can see better out of the left one. And I'd look rather rakishly handsome with an eyepatch anyway.

I do remember the complaints about exhaust rasp now that you mention it. But hardly an existential crisis, and it was the crusty Roadfly guys that complained about the weight, not really us e46fanatics.

Who complained about the looks? The statute of limitations for shaming hasn't expired yet after 20 years…

This is pretty much what the G8X owners will be saying in 5 years time….

"…It was the crusty F8X guys and people who weren't interested in buying a G8X in the first place that complained about the weight and the looks, not really us G8X owners."

Haha!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 09:57 PM   #9713
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

… it was the crusty F8X guys that complained about the weight and the looks, not really us G8X owners.

Haha!
They probably already do, no need to give it five years.
Sedan_Clan25100.00
minn1914034.50
      07-17-2021, 09:57 PM   #9714
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Quote:
They said the E46 wouldn't age well either, but now……
Really? I don't remember that. Not to say that it didn't happen, but it was a different time and information wasn't spread quite as quickly as today.

I do remember lusting for E46 M3s I saw on autocross courses and in magazines. As a former Honda fanboy, I remember thinking that any engine achieving over 100 HP per liter of normally aspirated displacement was a damn fine piece of engineering. The E46 managed 333 horsepower from 3.2 liters, right? The styling is positively sedate by today's standards, but flowed naturally into the E92 and F8X. The G8X went a whole different direction, obviously, which is why most of us are in this thread.
What were your usernames on E46Fanatics? I wonder if you guys were part of the original crowd. I go by "M3Inline6" on that forum.

edit: I know Ximian on this forum was a pretty well known Fanatic back in the day. He bought a G8X!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #9715
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Let's see….

….coming from the E36'ers, the E46 was criticized for weight (…even being called a "heavy pig"), the tinny/raspy sounding exhaust, some didn't like the looks and complained about the front end, etc. Sure, one could argue there wasn't as much discord, but there weren't as many platforms to troll either, so it's impossible to really know how deep the discord ran comparatively. The E46 M3 was my first M, so I was over the moon about it; my first one was even Phoenix Yellow with Imola Red leather. I didn't know what all of the complaints & fuss were about, but I didn't have any E36 M3 perspective either. My first BMW was an E46 330ci, so that was the beginning of my data point. Of course, time flew by and it was regaled as the last real M car. Rinse & repeat its successors up until the outgoing F8X. Again, I'll reference the volatile nature of the "enthusiast." It may be hard for many to remember the jabber from 2002, but I doubt any of us have forgotten the criticisms of the 1M. I mean, that car wasn't even considered an M car by enthusiasts initially; criticized for being a cheap parts bin special wannabe put together in BMW M's garage overnight. Fast forward a bit and all of a sudden the hate dissipated and the car appreciated; an outlier for sure.
You are comparing BMW fanboys nitpicking details about the next generation evolution of components/attributes vs almost universal hate for G8x due to styling across media/internet/blogs/forums/youtube. It is just time to realize the G8x is the ugly bastard child of BMW.

Instead of the usual banter about physical changes to the G8x...like size, traditional auto, awd option, weight, etc. All everyone talks about is how hideous it looks. This is nothing like any previous generation.
Quote:
The E46 M3 was my first M, so I was over the moon about it; my first one was even Phoenix Yellow with Imola Red leather. I didn't know what all of the complaints & fuss were about, but I didn't have any E36 M3 perspective either. My first BMW was an E46 330ci, so that was the beginning of my data point.
As long as you weren't one of those e46fanatics 330 ZHP trolls, always tying to say the ZHP was acutally better than the M3.

Last edited by hellrotm; 07-18-2021 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 3
figure99123.00
GrussGott18180.50
alex23642867.50
      07-17-2021, 10:52 PM   #9716
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

"…It was the crusty F8X guys and people who weren't interested in buying a G8X in the first place that complained about the weight and the looks, not really us G8X owners."

Haha!
Bro you need to stop with this FAKE info that every generation had this type of hate. I already linked you to threads from 2014 when F8x debuted where 80% -90% all positive reaction and nobody getting banned.

We are in a thread called “Banned from G8x forum...” that alone is unbelievable and definitely never happened in history of M car debuts. The G8x is just one of the most hated designs of all time period.
Appreciate 1
alex23642867.50
      07-18-2021, 01:19 AM   #9717
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:

Haha!
Bro you need to stop with this FAKE info that every generation had this type of hate. I already linked you to threads from 2014 when F8x debuted where 80% -90% all positive reaction and nobody getting banned.

We are in a thread called "Banned from G8x forum..." that alone is unbelievable and definitely never happened in history of M car debuts. The G8x is just one of the most hated designs of all time period.
Your reading comprehension sucks.

You're putting words in my mouth to some degree. Regardless of what you selectively remember, every generation had its detractors. I never said things were necessarily equal in terms of the outrage. What I have stated is that it wasn't all roses and rainbows for BMW prior to the G8X's debut. Like I already stated above, I remember the E46's criticism because I had just made the transition from Honda's to BMW and couldn't understand why there was such dissatisfaction. It wasn't a friggin' love affair for everybody. The unity over the common enemy - the G8X - has some romanticizing everything up until this point. Where the 1M was concerned, I remember the overall dissatisfaction with the droopy headlights, the droopy door panel line near the lower rocker, this criticism and that criticism.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #9718
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha!
I also sensed that in your last few responses. I agree that each new M iteration produces criticisms on specific design elements (e46 crowd calling out e92 v8, weight), e92 folk laughing about f8x and lawnmowers, etc. never has the criticism been as loud / focused as it is with the G8x. The former type of critique is healthy.. sometimes we learn to love the changes or at least can accept why someone else values them. but with the G8x the plot has been lost… this is too much change too quick. This is not another case of newer-M-itis.

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25100.00
minn1914034.50
      07-18-2021, 02:46 AM   #9719
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha!
I also sensed that in your last few responses. I agree that each new M iteration produces criticisms on specific design elements (e46 crowd calling out e92 v8, weight), e92 folk laughing about f8x and lawnmowers, etc. never has the criticism been as loud / focused as it is with the G8x. The former type of critique is healthy.. sometimes we learn to love the changes or at least can accept why someone else values them. but with the G8x the plot has been lost… this is too much change too quick. This is not another case of newer-M-itis.
That we agree on as it pertains to some people. The change was too much for them. Others feel differently. We are also in different times where it is much easier to be vocal; much easier to be heard. I've always defended BMW even if I didn't care for the change(s) being made because I accept(ed) that I won't like every decision the company makes, and I know every product won't resonate with me. Just because I didn't agree with it didn't make it a bad decision.

As far as the G8X, while most here aren't buying one, a bunch of people are. Obviously BMW reached the intended market…..and that market isn't necessarily a bunch of first time owners. It's a lot of people who have owned plenty of M cars prior (…me included, when I was actually considering a G8X).

Still love you guys.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #9720
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
^
You can’t dispute facts.
Internet and social media were around in 2014 and F8x got a lot of love. The G8x is hated universally by car people and regular folk on the street.

The 996 Carrera sold better than any generation before it - its still the ugliest and most hated 911.
Therefore sales success doesn’t equal acceptance- Pontiac Aztec also sold well.

You are entitled to your opinion but you’re misconstruing facts and that is what bothers me about some of your posts.
Appreciate 2
Tecnniqe4197.00
stein_325i25083.00
      07-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #9721
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
^
You can't dispute facts.
Internet and social media were around in 2014 and F8x got a lot of love. The G8x is hated universally by car people and regular folk on the street.

The 996 Carrera sold better than any generation before it - its still the ugliest and most hated 911.
Therefore sales success doesn't equal acceptance- Pontiac Aztec also sold well.

You are entitled to your opinion but you're misconstruing facts and that is what bothers me about some of your posts.
He's an LEO what do you expect? Lol.
Appreciate 1
alex23642867.50
      07-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #9722
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Quote:
^
You can't dispute facts.

Therefore sales success doesn't equal acceptance- Pontiac Aztec also sold well.

You are entitled to your opinion but you're misconstruing facts and that is what bothers me about some of your posts.
He's an LEO what do you expect? Lol.
Haha! Nice try.
Appreciate 1
Tecnniqe4197.00
      07-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #9723
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
but with the G8x the plot has been lost…
"The plot has been lost" because of a perceived design failure encompassing the middle third of the front fascia is a bit of an exaggeration.

While the front bumper is certainly a massive () departure from previous modern BMWs and it is understandable that some longtime fans of the brand find it repulsive, practically everything else about the car is a substantial upgrade over the F8x and moves the car even closer to the classic "daily driver you can take to the track" M3/4 design brief.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25100.00
      07-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #9724
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Quote:
but with the G8x the plot has been lost…
"The plot has been lost" because of a perceived design failure encompassing the middle third of the front fascia is a bit of an exaggeration.

While the front bumper is certainly a massive () departure from previous modern BMWs, practically everything else about the car is a substantial upgrade over the F8x and moves the car even closer to the classic "daily driver you can take to the track" M3/4 design brief.
….and it's generally perceived that way by those who are attached to certain design elements and who feel those elements are sacrilegious (…or those who want to troll for the sake of trolling, which is not a reference to anybody in this thread).
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50