BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #89
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Too much

2 days old M4, it's like I have a dozen rattle snakes inside the car. Most annoying from the driver door, taking it it dealer and letting do the work. I expected some rattles here and there with our crappy roads here, but this is beyond acceptable and annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #90
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

I have gone through all of the rattle fixes (thanks Parky!) but still have one coming from the instrument cluster or HUD. I've placed felt tape on the plastic frame and rubber around the HUD but the rattle persists. Anyone else have this problem? Have a solution? :
      07-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #91
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels
I have gone through all of the rattle fixes (thanks Parky!) but still have one coming from the instrument cluster or HUD. I've placed felt tape on the plastic frame and rubber around the HUD but the rattle persists. Anyone else have this problem? Have a solution? :
So you took apart the door? I have a feeling my visit to the dealer will be uneventful but I dread removing the door panel on a 2 day old car...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #92
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Thanksfully, my car does not make any noise from that area.
Did you try driving the car with hud plastic frame removed?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #93
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215
Quote:
Hmmm, no. I'll try it tomorrow!
      07-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #94
MrD1198
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Found the source of my rattle. That's the passenger rear speaker missing a screw. I was not able to find it floating around anywhere.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #95
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 360, 2015 SO M4

I consider myself very fortunate. I only have 1 very minor faint rattle coming from overhead light. Car 99% silent other than that 1 minor rattle.

Yep, if your car is under warranty I highly encourage everyone to just take your car back to the dealer and let them deal with it. That's what warranty is for. If you try and fix the rattle yourself and you start opening up panels and start breaking clips the dealership may blame it on you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #96
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels
So you took apart the door? I have a feeling my visit to the dealer will be uneventful but I dread removing the door panel on a 2 day old car...
Yes, both doors when I installed Bavsound Stage I speakers. I followed the DIY rattle fix while installing the speakers and this solved 90% of my rattles.
      07-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #97
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Removed the plastic and rubber surroundings and the rattle persisted. Today I pushed slightly on the steering column and the rattle is gone! So this weekend I'll be taking the plastic off the steering column and trying to fix another rattle. It's an ongoing battle!
      07-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #98
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Removed the plastic and rubber surroundings and the rattle persisted. Today I pushed slightly on the steering column and the rattle is gone! So this weekend I'll be taking the plastic off the steering column and trying to fix another rattle. It's an ongoing battle!
I have rattle coming from bottom plastic piece from steering column when driving hard.
I haven't tried to take that piece apart yet.
Do they come out easily without taking off steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #99
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have rattle coming from bottom plastic piece from steering column when driving hard.
I haven't tried to take that piece apart yet.
Do they come out easily without taking off steering wheel?
I don't know. I've never tried taking one off a BMW; only my old '86 Honda CRX Si. Might have to do some research online or take it to my dealer. I would rather do it myself because I think I'm more meticulous.
      07-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #100
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

My car has recently become the creakiest SOB around. It all seems centered around my roof to be honest and not in any of the areas mentioned, though perhaps its traveling from those three rear clips on the back deck. I will check those after work. When it goes in for its 10k service I'm gonna put in a complaint for tons of interior rattle and have them batten down the hatches.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #101
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Just wanted to pass along this solution for anyone experiencing creaks coming from driving up or down uneven surfaces such as driveways or over speed bumps. What sounded like it was coming from the roof or b pillar around my ear was actually coming from the rubber door seals on the doors themselves "creaking" while rubbing against the door jamb. Gummi Pflege helped but it was very temporary - only lasting around 3-4 weeks.

This 3M "teflon" tape solution seems to be permanent. This post from another forum explains the fix and DIY with photos quite well, so I'll just refer to it here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=40

Long story short, the teflon tape (3M 5425) applied where shown in the photos (although I went with thicker tape and covered the areas where any of the door rubber seals met the paint on the door jamb) around the entire door frame solved my problem. It may help you as well.

Note that the 3M tape is a BMW part that is quite expensive ($200). http://www.ecstuning.com/ES197360/ You can try to pawn some off of your dealer's service department as a roll would easily take care of several cars.

Alternatively, you can try a different teflon tape. This works well, but you'll need 3/4 of a roll per door:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by TonySCV; 08-03-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #102
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Just wanted to pass along this solution for anyone experiencing creaks coming from driving up or down uneven surfaces such as driveways or over speed bumps. What sounded like it was coming from the roof or b pillar around my ear was actually coming from the rubber door seals on the doors themselves "creaking" while rubbing against the door jamb. Gummi Pflege helped but it was very temporary - only lasting around 3-4 weeks.

This 3M "teflon" tape solution seems to be permanent. This post from another forum explains the fix and DIY with photos quite well, so I'll just refer to it here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=40

Long story short, the teflon tape (3M 5425) applied where shown in the photos around the entire door frame solved my problem. It may help you as well.

Note that the 3M tape is a BMW part that is quite expensive ($200). http://www.ecstuning.com/ES197360/ You can try to pawn some off of your dealer's service department as a roll would easily take care of several cars.

Alternatively, you can try a different teflon tape, but I haven't tried this myself, so it may or may not work. It's a knockoff but much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-0-125.../dp/B00KCMJ52A
This definitely helps.
I used following felt tape instead of teflon tape.
http://www.tintprotector.com/strips/

However, this only works on black car since felt tape itself is black.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #103
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
This definitely helps.
I used following felt tape instead of teflon tape.
http://www.tintprotector.com/strips/

However, this only works on black car since felt tape itself is black.
I'd be a little worried about felt tape around the door jambs collecting water over a long period of time from rain or car washes, or other debris. The teflon tape won't have that problem, but for sure either will work because you're just trying to eliminate friction which the felt tape or teflon tape both take care of.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #104
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I'd be a little worried about felt tape around the door jambs collecting water over a long period of time from rain or car washes, or other debris. The teflon tape won't have that problem, but for sure either will work because you're just trying to eliminate friction which the felt tape or teflon tape both take care of.
That's why I purchased this particular felt tape. Unlike other cheap ones, this one is designed specifically for automotive to resist rain and heat.
I had it for last few month, and it still looks as good as first day I applied.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #105
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Took it in, and after all the work they did, it is as rattly as before. But curious about what is crash pads in front doors (coupe)? The Buzz/rattles still coming from driver door...
This is what they did to no avail:
- applied felt tape on crash pads on both front doors
- applied felt tape on dash middle trim
- installed missing clip in A pillar trim

The master tech told me straight out that they will not gut out the car to take care of every rattle/squeak/buzz but what they did was useless...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #106
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

These rattles are a bit concerning especially on a brand new high end BMW in 2015. Anyone know if this only affects certain build dates. If I do decide to buy it will be the LCI post July build so any idea if BMW has done anything about this?
Rattles are a major issue for me and if I'm spending $150K aud on a car I'd expect better
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #107
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82
These rattles are a bit concerning especially on a brand new high end BMW in 2015. Anyone know if this only affects certain build dates. If I do decide to buy it will be the LCI post July build so any idea if BMW has done anything about this?
Rattles are a major issue for me and if I'm spending $150K aud on a car I'd expect better
It will be very hard to know what production cars have these issues. It'll be your luck of a draw. If you read my other thread, "are you happy w your M", the consensus is that is to be expected from high end cars and that you should enjoy it for what it brings and not focus on the small annoyances. I am starting to join that collective thinking, because I honestly am just tired of being unlucky, so now I laugh off all this.

In the first week, I had all these rattles and still have them, cracked windshield, noise in steering/tire something, a dented door and a chipped wheel and today I noticed a 1" scratch in my clear coat just buy it and don't worry about all this, the car is amazing still
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #108
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Took it in, and after all the work they did, it is as rattly as before. But curious about what is crash pads in front doors (coupe)? The Buzz/rattles still coming from driver door...
This is what they did to no avail:
- applied felt tape on crash pads on both front doors
- applied felt tape on dash middle trim
- installed missing clip in A pillar trim

The master tech told me straight out that they will not gut out the car to take care of every rattle/squeak/buzz but what they did was useless...
This is reason why I started fixing rattles on my own.
I took my car to dealership to have them fix rattle.
I guess tech who drove the car has hearing issue because SA told me tech did not hear any rattle.

There are few more things that I did to my car beside suggestions posted here.
With so many hours spent on my car to fix rattle, noise level is now very acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #109
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I hear you... The most annoying for me is the driver' door buzz/rattle. I may probably do it when I order my speaker upgrade since that requires dismantling the doors. Thanks for the DIY. I am curious why some cars have these rattles and some owners say they don't ...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #110
tkhan456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 (MW/Black/Black 19")

I have a lot of rattle from the LED light strips on the doors. Anyone have that issue and have an idea how to fix it?
Appreciate 0