European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-01-2021, 01:29 AM   #67
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNotSure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
GTS DCT, GTS Steering, GTS MDM, GTS Differential, latest ZCP EDC software via iStep update from dealer.

I can confirm that the ZCP EDC is more sporty/harsh on uneven roads relative to the CS EDC at the expense of slower rebound which CS EDC was better at.
So you prefer GTS MDM to Euro MDM? I'm curious if other users can chime in on this as well, which MDM is the best--CS, Euro, or GTS?
I'm running Cup 2s so GTS MDM works well with only intervention when it is below 70 degrees.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
richf8079.00
      01-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #68
evo828
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Where do you code CS MDM? I have my Euro MDM, not sure where to switch to CS MDM
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #69
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo828 View Post
Where do you code CS MDM? I have my Euro MDM, not sure where to switch to CS MDM
In DSC module.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:25 PM   #70
evo828
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

thank you. So since my car is EU - then the options available there are all EU variants:
3000 DSC_CODIERDATEN_ALLGEMEIN, 20 > Funktionen > C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e
a. Stock M3 ZCP Coding = F80_CP
b. M3 CS Coding = F82_GTS
c. M4 CS Coding = F82_GTS

Or is there any other setting?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #71
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo828 View Post
thank you. So since my car is EU - then the options available there are all EU variants:
3000 DSC_CODIERDATEN_ALLGEMEIN, 20 > Funktionen > C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e
a. Stock M3 ZCP Coding = F80_CP
b. M3 CS Coding = F82_GTS
c. M4 CS Coding = F82_GTS

Or is there any other setting?

This is the settings you are looking for.
Appreciate 1
evo82811.00
      01-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #72
MyNameIsNotSure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I've never tried GTS-MDM, but I can attest CS-MDM is better than the Euro-MDM of my 2015 M4.
Quote:
I'm running Cup 2s so GTS MDM works well with only intervention when it is below 70 degrees.
CanAut, by better do you mean it allows more of a slip angle before it kicks in?

Hellokitty--since you've tried both, which one allows more slip?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 06:03 AM   #73
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
CanAut, by better do you mean it allows more of a slip angle before it kicks in?

More slip before it intervenes. Intervenes less abrubtly. Has a higher speed threshold before it matches full DSC.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #74
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I've never tried GTS-MDM, but I can attest CS-MDM is better than the Euro-MDM of my 2015 M4.
Quote:

GTS allows for quite a bit of slip. It's been a couple of years since I've tested these settings back to back and I don't recall the minor differences in detail. However after initial testing, I stuck with GTS settings all around since those felt the best
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #75
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Thinking about coding my '18 M4 ZCP 6MT with EURO MDM and GTS/CS etc.

I completely understand the difference of feel and drive-ability after upgrading the iStep software from a '17 build to March 2020 build. The car completely performed differently and for the better.

My question, that iStep software upgrade was built & designed for the same m4 model and hardware... what is or is there a difference in hardware between the CS, GTS and ZCP (base) models WRT the Steering and Differential? I know the GTS has fixed suspension, is there a major hardware difference between the CS and ZCP (base) models WRT to EDC/suspension?

My biggest reservation is applying GTS/CS coding to the differential, steering or EDC and overtime increasing the chance of breakdown or wear and tear because the software coding was specifically designed or meant for that hardware.

All the hardware may, at the base, may be the same and then is purely a software change (which I can believe after updating my iStep to the 2020 build). However if the CS DIFF/Steering/EDC coding is soooo much better, why wouldn't BMW just apply it to the ZCP models as well... aside from wanting more money.

Also thoughts on the coding behind the CS being more up to date (and better) than the GTS coding due to time of design and build (CS being years newer)?
Appreciate 1
jasonjo61.50
      01-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #76
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post

I completely understand the difference of feel and drive-ability after upgrading the iStep software from a '17 build to March 2020 build. The car completely performed differently and for the better.

My question, that iStep software upgrade was built & designed for the same m4 model and hardware... what is or is there a difference in hardware between the CS, GTS and ZCP (base) models WRT the Steering and Differential? I know the GTS has fixed suspension, is there a major hardware difference between the CS and ZCP (base) models WRT to EDC/suspension?

My biggest reservation is applying GTS/CS coding to the differential, steering or EDC and overtime increasing the chance of breakdown or wear and tear because the software coding was specifically designed or meant for that hardware.

All the hardware may, at the base, may be the same and then is purely a software change (which I can believe after updating my iStep to the 2020 build). However if the CS DIFF/Steering/EDC coding is soooo much better, why wouldn't BMW just apply it to the ZCP models as well... aside from wanting more money.

Also thoughts on the coding behind the CS being more up to date (and better) than the GTS coding due to time of design and build (CS being years newer)?
I thought the same way but just because CS is newer doesn't mean it's better than the GTS. GTS software was purpose built for maximum performance and it feels like it relative to CS.

Hardware wise, dampers are the same on the ZCP and the CS. I do believe CS has softer front way bars but I believe that is it. I could be wrong but I recall the hardware being the same with minor parts swapped here and there for fine tuning.

I've been running GTS settings with CS EDC for years with no adverse effects.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #77
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Talk to Alex@Alpine, dude is the best and does a 1-time coding for $100.

BMW wants people to pay them for performance, which is why the same engine/trans/diff is in the Base, ZCP, CS and GTS. Also ZCP and CS share the same dampers. Pick what coding you like since the parts are made to interchange...

MDM is the intervention level on corners and slopes. Our "US MDM" intervenes a lot, and "Euro MDM" less so. Ask Alex for his special "even more open Euro MDM" which has even less intrusion. After a while you will start to drive in no-nanny mode with DCT fully off and learn where your wheel slip is.

CS and GTS steering are more track oriented and have a heavier effort to steer and a stronger return to center. CS is mild and GTS more so. I don't like the go-kart feel and prefer my stock steering.

You need to read up on the CS versus ZCP damping. Most guys like the CS for better rebound, but I'm no pro on this. I have Base EDC which can't code for ZCP/EDC.

CS and GTS differential...just take GTS. It maximizes the speed and force of the positraction rear engaging when you stomp on it. CS may have a smoother action on track coming out of corners...dunno.

There is also DCT coding...but we both have stick shift.

Included in the hundred bucks is all the other coding stuff like mirror folding on lock, brake light flash (on panic stop), angel eye brightness, and a bunch of other stuff (make your dash say GTS, change door ding to harp [better], disable all the startup warnings...it goes on).
      01-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #78
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hellokitty and TopJimmy, thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for.
For my ‘18 ZCP M4 6MT, looking at GTS: Diff, Steering, MDM and CS: EDC.

Last question, with the GTS/ CS(EDC), how is the comfort modes WRT steering and suspension? Is it daily driver comfortable? Or along with sport +, is it ramped up in performance/rigidity as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #79
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

BMW wants people to pay them for performance, which is why the same engine/trans/diff is in the Base, ZCP, CS and GTS. Also ZCP and CS share the same dampers. Pick what coding you like since the parts are made to interchange...

MDM is the intervention level on corners and slopes. Our "US MDM" intervenes a lot, and "Euro MDM" less so. Ask Alex for his special "even more open Euro MDM" which has even less intrusion. After a while you will start to drive in no-nanny mode with DCT fully off and learn where your wheel slip is.

CS and GTS steering are more track oriented and have a heavier effort to steer and a stronger return to center. CS is mild and GTS more so. I don't like the go-kart feel and prefer my stock steering.

You need to read up on the CS versus ZCP damping. Most guys like the CS for better rebound, but I'm no pro on this. I have Base EDC which can't code for ZCP/EDC.

CS and GTS differential...just take GTS. It maximizes the speed and force of the positraction rear engaging when you stomp on it. CS may have a smoother action on track coming out of corners...dunno.

Included in the hundred bucks is all the other coding stuff like mirror folding on lock, brake light flash (on panic stop), angel eye brightness, and a bunch of other stuff (make your dash say GTS, change door ding to harp [better], disable all the startup warnings...it goes on).
thanks for this

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #80
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Quote:

Regarding hardware differences between the ZCP and CS - I believe the CS uses both the front swaybar and all four springs from the base model. CanAutM3 posted it in another thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687204
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #81
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
GTS allows for quite a bit of slip. It's been a couple of years since I've tested these settings back to back and I don't recall the minor differences in detail. However after initial testing, I stuck with GTS settings all around since those felt the best
GTS MDM (non-EU) allows basically no slip. EU GTS MDM is a little better, but seriously cuts power on corner exit.

These things love to oversteer all through the corner, so I get it, but you lose huge chunks of time when running with the systems on.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #82
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hellokitty and TopJimmy, thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for.
For my '18 ZCP M4 6MT, looking at GTS: Diff, Steering, MDM and CS: EDC.

Last question, with the GTS/ CS(EDC), how is the comfort modes WRT steering and suspension? Is it daily driver comfortable? Or along with sport +, is it ramped up in performance/rigidity as well?
The ZCP guys say the CS EDC coding is better both ways, track and DD.

Steering coding is independent of EDC coding.
      01-31-2021, 05:04 PM   #83
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The ZCP guys say the CS EDC coding is better both ways, track and DD.

Steering coding is independent of EDC coding.
Can confirm! So much better!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 05:14 PM   #84
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

CS EDC is a lot better then the comp coding. First mod I made and it helped tremendously.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #85
LYTSOUT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 F30 xDrive 6MT

Quote:

Or you can just get Thor for the CS/GTS performance stuff (MDM, LSD, steering, and DCT if you've got one) and Bimmercode for the little extras (halos, folding mirrors, disabling alarms, etc). Then you can infinitely trial, error, and tweak all of those settings as much as you like since you own the software. I suspect Alex can do much more with formal coding, but for the vast majority of us, Thor + Bimmercode is more than sufficient to accomplish 90% of the same coding goals.

Note: Thor does not code EDC, but I've got a base F80 so I'm not too concerned about that.
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-B58 F30, 6MT, M Sport, M Perf Exhaust, Dinan Springs, BM3 Stg 1
-My B58 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1981176
-My F80 Build Thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757458
-My N55 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739248
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #86
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought the same way but just because CS is newer doesn't mean it's better than the GTS. GTS software was purpose built for maximum performance and it feels like it relative to CS.

Hardware wise, dampers are the same on the ZCP and the CS. I do believe CS has softer front way bars but I believe that is it. I could be wrong but I recall the hardware being the same with minor parts swapped here and there for fine tuning.

I've been running GTS settings with CS EDC for years with no adverse effects.
There are elements that are confirmed to be better on the CS software. ABS tuning for instance has been improved on the CS over the GTS as reported by AM&S/SA where they measured shorter stopping distance by a significant margin.

I also believe that hardware and software will yield better performance when properly matched. The GTS software is optimized for the GTS hardware and might not yield the most optimal result when paired with CS or CP hardware.

You are correct, M4cs uses Comp Pack suspension hardware except for the regular front swaybar for reduced understeer.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-01-2021 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:35 PM   #87
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by figure99 View Post
Regarding hardware differences between the ZCP and CS - I believe the CS uses both the front swaybar and all four springs from the base model. CanAutM3 posted it in another thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687204
Depends if you are referring to M3cs or M4cs...

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #88
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

I believe all GTS dampers are manual adjust, not EDC, so coding doesn't apply.