Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Trading up to a M2 Competition

Sorry guys, I'm out of here (for a while anyway) in my new M2. Why you say? Well, I'm tired of hearing most, if not all, of the automotive journalists fall over themselves about the M2, I just can't take it anymore! Superlative after bloody superlative about a cheaper and frankly not as good looking version of the M4, plus they stole our engine and put it in the M2 along with a bunch of suspension parts and braces, it's just not fair!! Not only that, the same automotive gurus have spouted nothing, or close to nothing, good about the M4, even in CS form it barely received any praise except "this is the way the M4 should have been" oh, wait, that was the competition M4 they said that about, the CS was "better" but tirades about the stupid cloth pull handles, lack of arm support and the astronomical price stole the glow....Oh, well, best of luck to you guys, maybe see you again when the new M4 (if it doesn't look like the drawings) comes out... In the meantime I have a slightly used set of M Performance Adjustable Suspension springs etc for sale, buzz me if your interested. Vancouver Canada.

Last edited by Ilikemike; 01-28-2020 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Haha. Great post. Enjoy ur M2. I was on the fence and I settled on my totally mediocre M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

not good enough

Yeah the guys with the 911's must feel the same way about the 718 crowd, especially with the GT4 out now....
Appreciate 2
WWM3968.00
SCS55291.00
      01-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

All the love that M2 gets and all the hate the M3 gets really doesn’t make sense.

My main complaints about the M3 are exhaust sound and steering feel (relative to previous versions). M2 isn’t any better in those two categories. And it’s worse in just about every other way. It’s not even much lighter despite being smaller.

I think I just need to drive the M2 to see what’s going on there. Specs don’t tell a full story.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
All the love that M2 gets and all the hate the M3 gets really doesn’t make sense.

My main complaints about the M3 are exhaust sound and steering feel (relative to previous versions). M2 isn’t any better in those two categories. And it’s worse in just about every other way. It’s not even much lighter despite being smaller.

I think I just need to drive the M2 to see what’s going on there. Specs don’t tell a full story.
Yeah, there's something about the shorter wheel base in the M2 and the engineers have played with the steering and differential, seems quite nice to me, but, yeah, the hate, especially from the British rags, really makes no sense..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:

The Comp Pack would have made life a little harder at the time when I was shopping around, but I do need a back seat that I can fit people in every once in a while. Though - there's something to be said about the single turbo feel that you get from the N55. Reminded me a little more of my old TT Z with that surge.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Sorry guys, I'm out of here (for a while anyway) in my new M2. Why you say? Well, I'm tired of hearing most, if not all, of the automotive journalists fall over themselves about the M2, I just can't take it anymore! Superlative after bloody superlative about a cheaper and frankly not as good looking version of the M4, plus they stole our engine and put it in the M2 along with a bunch of suspension parts and braces, it's just not fair!! Not only that, the same automotive gurus have spouted nothing, or close to nothing, good about the M4, even in CS form it barely received any praise except "this is the way the M4 should have been" oh, wait, that was the competition M4 they said that about, the CS was "better" but tirades about the stupid cloth pull handles, lack of arm support and the astronomical price stole the glow....Oh, well, best of luck to you guys, maybe see you again when the new M4 (if it doesn't look like the drawings) comes out... In the meantime I have a slightly used set of M Performance Adjustable Suspension springs etc for sale, buzz me if your interested. Vancouver Canada.
Smart move I use my M3 as a DD, not sure about the M2 space wise. How tall are you?? Good luck with the choice. BTW, can't even consider the "G" till I see those Beaver teeth.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
M3ILANA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36

What about M2 CS?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Smart move I use my M3 as a DD, not sure about the M2 space wise. How tall are you?? Good luck with the choice. BTW, can't even consider the "G" till I see those Beaver teeth.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm 6'2, 220 lbs and have tons of leg and head room, but I don't have a sunroof so that might not be as good, yeah, the Beaver teeth.... yikes!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm 6'2, 220 lbs and have tons of leg and head room, but I don't have a sunroof so that might not be as good, yeah, the Beaver teeth.... yikes!
Nice to hear, too bad the lease deals are absolutely horrific.Thanks for getting back
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #11
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Best of luck. Had an m2 and traded for an m3 as fast as possible. Was an excellent decision.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      01-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ILANA View Post
What about M2 CS?
Sweet machine, but $100k Canadian, so, for that price, I'd be thinking the new Porsche 718 GTS (6 cylinder) , C8 Z06 due out next year...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice to hear, too bad the lease deals are absolutely horrific.Thanks for getting back
Lease rate up here is 3.99, I got 3.24 due to loyalty...
What is your rate?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #14
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

Way before I got my F80 I had an MK7 GTI 6 Speed performance pack. I thought the steering was excellent. Then I find myself reading an article about the M2 and they randomly mention the steering/feel in the new GTI is better than the M2.

It's also better than my F80 in my opinion... I just had more sense of what was going on with the steering on the GTI. The F80 is good I just felt the GTI was damn good...

Back to my mediocre F80...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #15
DML
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lease rate up here is 3.99, I got 3.24 due to loyalty...
What is your rate?
I can tell you that the M4 residual is 60% while the "2" lands on 53%, that's all I needed to know.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:43 AM   #16
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

In actually drove an M2 comp manual and loved it.
Brakes were the biggest wow factor.

Having said that and now that I think about it - I’d go M4 if I were getting a coupe. Same weight and more room plus a bit of a more premium feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #17
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

I like the M2, but no thanks to the rubbery Dakota leather and no HUD.
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      01-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #18
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

You'll be back in an M4...M2 is a fantastic 'drivers' car but like the others have said it's still not on the level of the M4/M3....especially if you daily drive the vehicle. I still can't get over how bad the rear end taillight configuration looks. It's like the designers got to the rear end and said we're done. To each their own it's a great car but it doesn't hold its value near as well as the other M cars and it's ride for a daily driver is horrendous. Track car?!? All day long!!!
      01-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #19
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I have had my M2 Competition since September 2018. One of the first ones that did European Delivery on. Still loving the car. Wanted a coupe this time around. Love the looks of the M3, but wanted a coupe. M4 was just too big for me for a fun toss-able car. M2 is the perfect size.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #20
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I'm going the opposite way. Out of a 2017 M2 and into a new 2018 M3 CS

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 2
zamboni1130.50
DML967.50
      01-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

I'm not sure why people say it's more tossable. I drove my neighbor's M2 and seems just as heavy as my F80. If you want light you have to change brands. My Mini S is a lot more tossable than any new M car.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      01-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #22
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Car reviewers in general are out of touch, practically by definition. If you reviewed a different car every month and didn't have to live in each one for long term, your values would be skewed too. Add in a little bit of ego stroking and the hope that you could possibly influence the industry and all of a sudden you'll think your clever opinions are worth more than someone else's too.
Appreciate 4
Kid Eh569.50
Poochie9104.50
F82///M77.00