Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #265
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
No GTS has been delivered yet, so it is hard to provide meaningful opinion comparative to M4. The 981 platform is really superb for daily driving, the chassis and engine are at a very mature state at this time, there is very few, if any, negatives I can think about. F8x platform is still an unknown, long ways to go before it will reach maturity. So, IMHO, it really comes down to mostly subjective selection criteria about design, practicality, desirability, branding, affordability, etc.
Exactly!! In 2005 I believe, I gave up on an E46 M3 for a full spec Lotus Elise. At the time, my thought process was gee, light weight, short wheelbase, power to weight, what can go wrong?? The Lotus was a P.O.S. had to wring its neck in the higher revs to get it to go and on a daily basis, a complete disaster. Now, in no way, shape, or form am I associating the Cayman in this manner as the Lotus. Last september, I had the trip of a lifetime traveling to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Northern Italy attending Mercedes, and Porsche factory tours, Nurburgring trackday as well as playing on a test track with the BASE Cayman and C2S Carrera. The Cayman and Porsche cars for that matter are superb cars from top to bottom as are BMW products. The Cayman was the real deal and if Porsche ever decided to put a real motor in it then, look out 911. At this point, I am starting to lean towards an M4 more and more. I may completely make an about face after I either see or drive one but can't help but think the M4 will be the better purchase. Also, I am going completely bonkers on color choices as I usually go the Alpine white route but having seen metallic black and YSB am driving myself nuts with either a Black/SO 6-speed 19s and ceramics or YSB/black 6-speed ceramics. Decisions, decisions,
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #266
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

I don't think it's hard to make a decision between the M4 and Cayman GTS (or S).

If you need the back seat or you love the feeling of strong low-end torque, get the M4. Otherwise, get the Cayman.

I test drove an M4 DCT and a Cayman 6MT. The M4 looks and feels much bigger. The Cayman looks, sounds, and handles better. The build and paint quality seem better on the Cayman. Also, the M4 is an unproven and un-debugged first-year model, while the Cayman has been out for a while without issues.

By the way, the Cayman S pulls pretty strongly when it's in the right gear. Even at low RPMs, it isn't too bad. For example, it manages to accelerate on the highway even in 6th gear, and it has decent pull in 5th. You do need to shift it lower to get strong acceleration, though, and even then it isn't what you get from the M4 obviously.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #267
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
I don't think it's hard to make a decision between the M4 and Cayman GTS (or S).

If you need the back seat or you love the feeling of strong low-end torque, get the M4. Otherwise, get the Cayman.

I test drove an M4 DCT and a Cayman 6MT. The M4 looks and feels much bigger. The Cayman looks, sounds, and handles better. The build and paint quality seem better on the Cayman. Also, the M4 is an unproven and un-debugged first-year model, while the Cayman has been out for a while without issues.

By the way, the Cayman S pulls pretty strongly when it's in the right gear. Even at low RPMs, it isn't too bad. For example, it manages to accelerate on the highway even in 6th gear, and it has decent pull in 5th. You do need to shift it lower to get strong acceleration, though, and even then it isn't what you get from the M4 obviously.
I assume everyone has seen the Cayman GT4 reports?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...man-yet-spied/
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #268
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I assume everyone has seen the Cayman GT4 reports?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...man-yet-spied/
Yeah, it's interesting, but it's not clear what engine it will have.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #269
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

For people contemplating the the GTS just go drive a Cayman S with the sport suspension or pasm it is the the exact same car minus the 15hp which you will never feel. One thing I would like to add though is I love the cayman a lot but I cannot recommend it to anyone that doesn't have nice curvy (mountain roads) near them. As the car will just get old very quickly on straight roads where as the M4 will be blast in this situation.
      07-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #270
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
The main reason not buying an M4 for me is merely its size.

It is too bulky, clunky to me (with all due respect for other opinions)

No doubt being a great daily driver, fast as no M3-4 before, more HP and torque then ever.

Now that is exactly why I`m keeping the 1M, and bought a GTS as a companion.

Size, weight, that is what determines real driving fun, not sheer HP IMHO;

Look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...&v=N9Gev8G9o5Y

In no way I`m suggesting the Bimmer is a lesser car then the Porker, both great, great cars, the very best in German engineering, but with a different focus.

Well, now I have both
Wow, that was the base Cayman (not S or GTS), and it beat the BMW by a second.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #271
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Looking at the Cayman GT4.

Porsche's best chassis + a GT pedigree motor?? Yes please thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #272
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gins View Post
Looking at the Cayman GT4.

Porsche's best chassis + a GT pedigree motor?? Yes please thank you.
Yes it should be amazing but I have been hearing it's going to start around $120,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #273
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

This was the conundrum I was in all year. It was really the Alfa 4C vs the Cayman S.

Both cars are that make you feel alive and give that intense driving pleasure that really cannot be duplicated. I was in love with the Alfa more than anything else. Something about having that car was just absolutely necessary for me, but per usual, Alfa did what Alfa does best and just decided to completely botch the sale of the car, making the LE subject to market, which pushed the car out of a price bracket that is not only even questionable but ultimately foolish (some 4C LE's are going for 90K USD overseas) and the car has not even come to the US yet!

Now, the entire point of this car was for Alfa to get back into the US market by selling lots of cars, so to me, making it this expensive was a mistake, thus it pushed me in the direction of the Porsche.

I went to test drive a cayman S, it was about 20 degrees out, roads absolutely coated in salt over here in Northern NJ- West NY area, and the car was an absolute BEAST! It was literally amazing, the way you sat in the cockpit, the way the car felt, the transition from driver input to the car's output was just so fluent that I couldn't even believe it. After the test drive, I was set.

Silver Cayman S, 20 inch Carrera Wheels, manual, Sport Suspension, and Sport Chrono, and that was basically all I could afford because of Porsche's "a la carte" optioning.

Well, as I locked myself into the idea that this would be the car, I would stop everyday on my way from work at the local Porsche dealer and look at his array of Caymans. They were lined up one after the next, each in their respective "Porsche'y" colors -black, grey, silver, brown?, more black, different greys, and more silvers,- and I kept trying to force myself to get excited. I would keep reflecting on that test drive, continuing to hype myself into anticipation, albeit I find the Cayman S a nice looking car, I just couldn't get "gitty" about it. I couldn't find that magical feeling like when I was younger and my father got a new toy or when I got my any of my Ducati's or my G-wagon. For whatever reason, the Porsche just couldn't evoke this feeling.

So this left me back in the neutral zone,

Undecided and frustrated, I was basically set on just not getting a high-end car but rather just an OK one and acquiring a few more bikes, one for the track and maybe a custom this or custom that. But then auto-show came up....

I'd be lying to you if I didn't tell you I went for the Alfa. I was enamored by this car, and this was the first time after years of scoping I would see it in the flesh, I quickly bought a ticket, and raced to the Javits center in NYC.

The Alfa was brilliant, had all the lines I wanted, all the contours and details I'd expected, a miniature ferrari in the flesh. Unfortunatly, for Alfa, after seeing the car for 45 minutes, I wondered over to BMW.......

Seeing what would now be my future car, the M4 sitting steadily in the corner, looking absolutely f***ing MONSTROUS. It was as mean as it could be, it had lines, angles, aggression, beauty (which for me is rare in a BMW) function, technology, carbon fiber (a direct bloodline to my heart) and a starting MSRP that made me think twice.

Obviously, as it turns out my M4 is ordered and I'm awaiting delivery in a couple months. But what turned me on about this car is that it is the best overall out of the 3 cars. It gives bonkers performance, a quality interior, creature comforts which though is not a requirement for me, if I can get them, why not? and most of all it gave that charisma that I was looking for. Being in my 20's I just did not want to drive a drone car. For whatever reason the Porsche just felt like that because of how it looked and a little lack of torque.

After looking at everything; pricing-service-trackability (financially) and it's purpose as a DD, especially in my neck of the woods where pot-holes, snow, rain and anything else that could damage the roads exists, the M4 is the all-out champion.

I know it's a rant but this is what pulled me towards this car, and I think it could help others who are in the quandary of what to pick. As a guy who loves sport bikes, the porsche's ride was amazing, but I have been in many many many M3's and all I keep hearing is that this is better than those, so I am more than confident this car will be an absolute treat to drive!

-SerieD
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #274
mdestio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3351

Honestly....an M4 can hold my golf clubs. nuff said!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #275
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
The main reason not buying an M4 for me is merely its size.

It is too bulky, clunky to me (with all due respect for other opinions)
Exactly my feeling as well. The new M4 is probably a nice grand tourer because it has the girth of the previous generation 6 Series. While the M235 is probably 7/10th in performance and cost as an M4, I'd take a M235i over the M4 any day.
M2 would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #276
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post
This was the conundrum I was in all year. It was really the Alfa 4C vs the Cayman S.

Both cars are that make you feel alive and give that intense driving pleasure that really cannot be duplicated. I was in love with the Alfa more than anything else. Something about having that car was just absolutely necessary for me, but per usual, Alfa did what Alfa does best and just decided to completely botch the sale of the car, making the LE subject to market, which pushed the car out of a price bracket that is not only even questionable but ultimately foolish (some 4C LE's are going for 90K USD overseas) and the car has not even come to the US yet!

Now, the entire point of this car was for Alfa to get back into the US market by selling lots of cars, so to me, making it this expensive was a mistake, thus it pushed me in the direction of the Porsche.

I went to test drive a cayman S, it was about 20 degrees out, roads absolutely coated in salt over here in Northern NJ- West NY area, and the car was an absolute BEAST! It was literally amazing, the way you sat in the cockpit, the way the car felt, the transition from driver input to the car's output was just so fluent that I couldn't even believe it. After the test drive, I was set.

Silver Cayman S, 20 inch Carrera Wheels, manual, Sport Suspension, and Sport Chrono, and that was basically all I could afford because of Porsche's "a la carte" optioning.

Well, as I locked myself into the idea that this would be the car, I would stop everyday on my way from work at the local Porsche dealer and look at his array of Caymans. They were lined up one after the next, each in their respective "Porsche'y" colors -black, grey, silver, brown?, more black, different greys, and more silvers,- and I kept trying to force myself to get excited. I would keep reflecting on that test drive, continuing to hype myself into anticipation, albeit I find the Cayman S a nice looking car, I just couldn't get "gitty" about it. I couldn't find that magical feeling like when I was younger and my father got a new toy or when I got my any of my Ducati's or my G-wagon. For whatever reason, the Porsche just couldn't evoke this feeling.

So this left me back in the neutral zone,

Undecided and frustrated, I was basically set on just not getting a high-end car but rather just an OK one and acquiring a few more bikes, one for the track and maybe a custom this or custom that. But then auto-show came up....

I'd be lying to you if I didn't tell you I went for the Alfa. I was enamored by this car, and this was the first time after years of scoping I would see it in the flesh, I quickly bought a ticket, and raced to the Javits center in NYC.

The Alfa was brilliant, had all the lines I wanted, all the contours and details I'd expected, a miniature ferrari in the flesh. Unfortunatly, for Alfa, after seeing the car for 45 minutes, I wondered over to BMW.......

Seeing what would now be my future car, the M4 sitting steadily in the corner, looking absolutely f***ing MONSTROUS. It was as mean as it could be, it had lines, angles, aggression, beauty (which for me is rare in a BMW) function, technology, carbon fiber (a direct bloodline to my heart) and a starting MSRP that made me think twice.

Obviously, as it turns out my M4 is ordered and I'm awaiting delivery in a couple months. But what turned me on about this car is that it is the best overall out of the 3 cars. It gives bonkers performance, a quality interior, creature comforts which though is not a requirement for me, if I can get them, why not? and most of all it gave that charisma that I was looking for. Being in my 20's I just did not want to drive a drone car. For whatever reason the Porsche just felt like that because of how it looked and a little lack of torque.

After looking at everything; pricing-service-trackability (financially) and it's purpose as a DD, especially in my neck of the woods where pot-holes, snow, rain and anything else that could damage the roads exists, the M4 is the all-out champion.

I know it's a rant but this is what pulled me towards this car, and I think it could help others who are in the quandary of what to pick. As a guy who loves sport bikes, the porsche's ride was amazing, but I have been in many many many M3's and all I keep hearing is that this is better than those, so I am more than confident this car will be an absolute treat to drive!

-SerieD
I'm pissed!! I was all set to order an M4 specced just the way I wanted YSB, 6-speed, Ceramics, 19s in black, and a few other options that totaled $80k. I was hoping to possibly do European delivery or pick up in Sparturnburg, SC. I had been working with a couple of dealers that where giving me so so numbers and was about to finally pull the trigger. The Porsche dealer I was dealing with gave me ludicrous numbers and figured well I'm going back to an M. A very close friend of mine(independent dealer) then tells me that the numbers that where given to me where shit and that the REAL numbers fall back in line with what I was hoping to pay for a GTS Cayman. Damn it!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #277
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

Interesting thread going here. I am going to post a detailed comparison (at least my impressions) as I just traded a 2013 Porsche Boxster S on a 2015 M3. The 981 was a GREAT car but lacked in a bunch of areas. If I could have kept the 981 and got the M3 I would have done so. For me it came down to the fact (for me at least) the 981 was not practical as a DD while the M3 can easily pull double duty. Still getting to know the M3 and used to the desp sound of the exhaust but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #278
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Either choice is a fine choice

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:14 AM   #279
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

I don't know,the Cayman just does not get me excited enough.The only Porsche I'd spend my money on is the GT3.The phenomenal grip,coupled with cat like reflexes,let's not talk about the sound ,put it in super car territory.And for 135k it's a bargain.Can't way to get my hands on it next summer.I remember waiting for my 997gt3 order and how exciting and emotional that experience was.I feel the same way about about the 991.If you don't feel like you can't sleep at night for a car,it's probably not the right car for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #280
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
For people contemplating the the GTS just go drive a Cayman S with the sport suspension or pasm it is the the exact same car minus the 15hp which you will never feel. One thing I would like to add though is I love the cayman a lot but I cannot recommend it to anyone that doesn't have nice curvy (mountain roads) near them. As the car will just get old very quickly on straight roads where as the M4 will be blast in this situation.
Rubbish!

Sports exhaust on GTS is the best I've heard on a Porsche outside of the GT3.

They've also updated the front end geo's so the steering is a lot better than the regular 981 S.

The M4 is a fast car, say 0-100mph in 8.5s. The GTS is only a second slower and it's much more fun to ring it out to 8000rpm than to surf a wave of mid-range diesel like torque.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #281
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92V8 View Post
They've also updated the front end geo's so the steering is a lot better than the regular 981 S.
Where did you see that?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #282
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM505SX View Post
If you don't feel like you can't sleep at night for a car,it's probably not the right car for you.
Why would anyone feel like they can't sleep at night for any car? It's just a car - it doesn't do much new and doesn't change your life (unless it's your first car - the first one is exciting.)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #283
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Well, cut the crap and lets talk about this......

http://www.autogespot.nl/porsche-cay...014/06/17#img1

Damn, what a car, that being said as a Bimmer "fanboy"

Mine is to be expected august 2nd-3th week.........yessssssss
holy shit that looks nice.. i think i've made a decision now..but he is parking too close to the damn curb!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #284
hgtran21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

cayman gts is an amazing machine!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #285
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Oh no!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/v...st-saloon-face
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #286
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Where did you see that?
a S with the sport chassis should handle the same as a GTS with sport chassis.

Yes, I would say GTS has better interior noise/sound to make it feel handling better, but shouldn't be the difference of the steering system/geometry.
Appreciate 0