Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

CCB's are horrible in the wet - heads up

I'm sure the people who have the carbon ceramics like me love them but wow do they have an incredible inherent flaw. After washing the car it's quite noticeable how you have almost zero braking ability. leaving the car wash going 5km/h i have to apply brakes 10 feet before the door to leave as they have nothing until I 'dry' them off with heat after leaving.

Worse yet today was the first day i've driven in the pouring rain and it was quite cold out about +3 celsius (37F) and when going through puddles it would almost reset the brakes like a car wash would and there were a number of times on the way home I had no reaction after pushing the peddle for a couple seconds. without being keenly aware of the issue you could crash or rear end a car very quickly. They are amazing when hot and dry and zero fade when pushed hard and almost no dust and not to mention beautiful to look at but... for $8k you would think these things would do better in all conditions as I am not exaggerating brakes are gone when cold and wet. So for those that have them be careful and hopefully an intersting tid bit for those that don't.
Appreciate 3
      03-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

This is not news to anyone who bought the CCBs for the appropriate reasons.

Care to warn others that certain tires don't function when it's "quite cold out," too?
Appreciate 8
minn1914037.50
RickFLM410981.00
PhatLyfe985.00
2SNAILS2085.50
DocL1930.00
      03-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Bit harsh dude, for someone getting an M for the first time without knowing much about CCBs, it may not be that obvious

Obvious is only obvious if you know it already 😉
c12h231.00
npcars47.50
ntg442888.50
AIRHEIR443.50
quikM2371.00
Kilabyte3948.00
      03-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

CCB's been out on this car since deliveries in 2014. Cant believe this went unnoticed until now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
PolishM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS,2018 M3CS,2023 BMW IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I'm sure the people who have the carbon ceramics like me love them but wow do they have an incredible inherent flaw. After washing the car it's quite noticeable how you have almost zero braking ability. leaving the car wash going 5km/h i have to apply brakes 10 feet before the door to leave as they have nothing until I 'dry' them off with heat after leaving.

Worse yet today was the first day i've driven in the pouring rain and it was quite cold out about +3 celsius (37F) and when going through puddles it would almost reset the brakes like a car wash would and there were a number of times on the way home I had no reaction after pushing the peddle for a couple seconds. without being keenly aware of the issue you could crash or rear end a car very quickly. They are amazing when hot and dry and zero fade when pushed hard and almost no dust and not to mention beautiful to look at but... for $8k you would think these things would do better in all conditions as I am not exaggerating brakes are gone when cold and wet. So for those that have them be careful and hopefully an intersting tid bit for those that don't.
You learn to adapt after driving with them for a while. I can now drive with them and feel almost as comfortable as with the steel brakes. Just have to do a little brake drying when you're concerned.

Also I find it mostly happens with spray from other cars. If you're driving clear of other cars in the rain you barely feel a difference. So just stay away from passing trucks
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3948.00
quikM2371.00
      03-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjo View Post
Bit harsh dude, for someone getting an M for the first time without knowing much about CCBs, it may not be that obvious

Obvious is only obvious if you know it already 😉
It’s been covered in numerous threads, as has the noise they make. Unfortunately, there are people spend a fortune on them for the calipers and lack of brake dust without researching first and then get surprises.
minn1914037.50
      03-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post

Care to warn others that certain tires don't function when it's "quite cold out," too?
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      03-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
apar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Track performance goods tend to have the same downsides.
Terrible in the wet, lower durability, expensive and noisy.

CCBs only hit 3 out of 4 so that's actually pretty good I'd say.
Appreciate 1
quikM2371.00
      03-09-2021, 10:44 PM   #9
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Good info to know. I had no idea that carbon ceramic brakes did this is the wet. I currently have steel brakes, but if I have the option on my next vehicle I will have to weigh the pros and cons and that is for sure a big con.
Appreciate 2
quikM2371.00
      03-10-2021, 01:15 AM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:

Would you like to trade for my Iron Brembo GT’s? Lmk
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 01:25 AM   #11
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

I don't fell too much of different between ccb and iron
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 03:41 AM   #12
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
I don't fell too much of different between ccb and iron
You would under fast longterm hard driving....when the iron's start to fade but the CCB's still engage ABS. 90% of owners would never take advantage of CCB's other than bragging rights and clean wheels. I like them but I could go either way but if I had irons.... I always upgrade the pads
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      03-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #13
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Just wanted to share my thoughts, terribly sorry I didn't scour the threads and read about ccb's for hours. I thought the forum was made up of decent guys that would either respond with nothing, or yeah knew that already, or interesting didn't know that and then the thread could fade quickly into oblivion...

And to be honest no I don't want to share that certain tires don't function when its cold out as those literally outnumber the threads about ccb's 1000 to 1 and very rarely do people post a dick head comment on the first reply but there is a bunch of you on here as we have all seen so it is what it is. If only all threads in the forum could be about 1psi and hot girlfriends crashing cars because water spilt in the trunk, oh if only
Appreciate 3
      03-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #14
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Just wanted to share my thoughts, terribly sorry I didn't scour the threads and read about ccb's for hours. I thought the forum was made up of decent guys that would either respond with nothing, or yeah knew that already, or interesting didn't know that and then the thread could fade quickly into oblivion...

And to be honest no I don't want to share that certain tires don't function when its cold out as those literally outnumber the threads about ccb's 1000 to 1 and very rarely do people post a dick head comment on the first reply but there is a bunch of you on here as we have all seen so it is what it is. If only all threads in the forum could be about 1psi and hot girlfriends crashing cars because water spilt in the trunk, oh if only

Welcome to the Internet. Try not to take it too seriously.
Appreciate 1
quikM2371.00
      03-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #15
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Welcome to the Internet. Try not to take it too seriously.
I think that's perhaps the the biggest negative to mysterious typing behind a keyboard, you can't read tone or see the chuckle I had reading your initial reply or myself laughing the entire time i wrote my self indulgent reply...

anyway I get to put my summer tires on in a couple weeks - you can't steal my happiness from me
Appreciate 1
FC42681.00
      03-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

CCBs are overrated.
      03-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #17
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
CCBs are overrated.
thats what people who don't have them say
Appreciate 1
IB M2782.00
      03-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #18
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Quote:
CCBs are overrated.
thats what people who don't have them say
Haha. I opted for iron rotors because I track a decent amount. If there was a BBK option, then I'd be jealous of that! (But never CCBs)
      03-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #19
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha. I opted for iron rotors because I track a decent amount. If there was a BBK option, then I'd be jealous of that! (But never CCBs)
I had the standard M brakes on my M2 and they were fantastic. That was a car I tracked and they performed amazingly well even with the stock pads and I never felt fade or maybe just slightly. Honestly I think the biggest thing for your average M3/M4 driver who only drives on the street is the look of the ccb. It's a total vanity item. I wouldn't pay an insane $8k for them but I was definitely super happy they came on my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:45 PM   #20
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I had the standard M brakes on my M2 and they were fantastic. That was a car I tracked and they performed amazingly well even with the stock pads and I never felt fade or maybe just slightly. Honestly I think the biggest thing for your average M3/M4 driver who only drives on the street is the look of the ccb. It's a total vanity item. I wouldn't pay an insane $8k for them but I was definitely super happy they came on my car.
Positives why I like CCBs:

Bling factor - the car is SMB so why not

Less unsprung weight - the biggest reason here ccbs with 763's seem noticeably different than 666's with Steelies

Less dust

No rusty calipers and rust juice after wash

Negatives and why I don't care:

cost but it's not a cheap car anyway

cold weather and rain - drive sunny days only or be aware of your situations and drive accordingly as OP did, or move south if you live up north
Btw same logic applies here if you street drive the Cup2 tires

Not good on the track due to cost - add track specific brakes and swap if that's ur thing or better yet get two Ms one for track and one for street

Squeaks - never been a problem with mine

Did 47k miles on a 17ZCP with steelies, they are great brakes - probably better for daily use truthfully but I love the CCBs for all the above.

Now how about that tiny rear brake on the G80, oh yeah it's fully functional but looks like a tinker toy

Appreciate 3
alex23642873.50
quikM2371.00
CSBM52722.50