R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-13-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
Molarz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Dinan Flash stage 1 software opinions S55

Hi guys

Im considering the Dinan stage 1 flash software for my 2015 M4.
I’ve done searches on the forum of which it seems there is more limited data for the newer flash software compared to the former dinantronic piggyback systems.

Although I recognize that the stage 1 flash tune is somewhat of a modest increase in power compared to other tuners on the market (i.e. jb4), some of my concerns are reliability and the dreaded crank hub failure that many forum members report as a major problem while others saying its all luck of the draw whether it is destined to fail. Increasing power likely contributes to wear and failure but wanted to know if I start tuning my car (now stock) if there is any foreseen problems I am running into in the near future albeit many reporting the s55 power plant is fairly reliable.

Also, do many feel there is a need for the heat exchanger with the software as it is not required but recommended by Dinan? I suspect many people here are running tunes on their M’s and not necessarily swapping out to a larger heat exchanger. I get the principle but is it necessary with the odd hard pull on the roads and not putting my car through tracking scenarios.

Thanks for the help guys. Any personal experiences and info would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Folks saying it's the 'luck of the draw' are the same ones who used to share needles back in the day and said getting HIV was also 'the luck of the draw'.
The 'i spun my hub the first track day after running stage2' threads should remind everyone of reality.
The M4 GT4 has an oem crank hub and somehow survives hours and hours of racing with full slicks etc. No crank hub failures.

The stage 1 is a modest power increase but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that increasing power/torque by 10% is safer than doing it by 25%.

I would skip on the heat exchanger if you aren't tracking the car.

Note that some companies like ESS limit the torque of all their tunes, while BM3 allows you to limit the torque by gear.

There have been some totally oem cars with a spun hub, in which case you take it to bmw and they fix it. There is always risk, but one thing is worrying about an asteroid hitting you and the other is like crossing a highway blindfolded
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

I have the Dinan HE+ mainly because I still have a warranty on my car and the Stage 1 does not include the Dinan warranty (other than the tune itself). Since the Stage 1 doesn't include the warranty then the heat exchanger isn't necessary unless you're tracking it as mentioned before.

I had a Stage 2 Dinantronics and it kept triggering a drivetrain malfunction warning so Dinan swapped it for me although I had to pay for the heat exchanger. The HE+ gains are greater than the Stage 1. Any more torque and the tires would have a hard time staying planted during hard acceleration.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      03-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
Molarz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH M3 View Post
I have the Dinan HE+ mainly because I still have a warranty on my car and the Stage 1 does not include the Dinan warranty (other than the tune itself). Since the Stage 1 doesn't include the warranty then the heat exchanger isn't necessary unless you're tracking it as mentioned before.

I had a Stage 2 Dinantronics and it kept triggering a drivetrain malfunction warning so Dinan swapped it for me although I had to pay for the heat exchanger. The HE+ gains are greater than the Stage 1. Any more torque and the tires would have a hard time staying planted during hard acceleration.
thanks for the comments guys
i wasnt aware that the HE+ software had more gains than the stage 1.....
i thought it was lower hence Dinan offering to pick up warranty on their end?

for that matter does anyone know the true gains on the stage 1 software? seems like they are reporting up to 150 bhp and similar torque with HE but i would imagine its close power gains even without the HE.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
prodigal77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F82 6MT

Just a FYI, Steve Dinan sold Dinan and opened up a new company called CarBahn. After a lot of research and based upon my own personal preference, I have chosen to go with the Carbahn stage 1 tune. There' are performance gain numbers on their site but if I remember correctly it's 84 whp and over 100 ft/lb torque gains. I was going to do it later but they have a 20 percent off sale this month for flashes. I will be getting mine done through EAS wiith before and after dyno pulls. Would highly recommend that you look at Carbahn if yoiu are thinking of Dinan.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
CPB28.00
      03-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal77 View Post
Just a FYI, Steve Dinan sold Dinan and opened up a new company called CarBahn. After a lot of research and based upon my own personal preference, I have chosen to go with the Carbahn stage 1 tune. There' are performance gain numbers on their site but if I remember correctly it's 84 whp and over 100 ft/lb torque gains. I was going to do it later but they have a 20 percent off sale this month for flashes. I will be getting mine done through EAS wiith before and after dyno pulls. Would highly recommend that you look at Carbahn if yoiu are thinking of Dinan.
Were I to do it again I would have went with Carbahn although there's no dealer anywhere near where I live but I'm pretty happy with the Dinan tune now that I'm not getting any more errors.
Appreciate 0