Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
Mr.Joe
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 Competition

My recently purchased, lightly-used M3 has vibration and slack in the drivetrain

Apoligize in advance for my poor English writing.

So i just bought a almost New m3 competition. The car had been used by the bmw headquarters here in Norway, but had only done about 3000 miles when i got it. I used to work at a BMW dealership so i got a pretty fair deal on the car.

Had the car for about 2 months now, and allready from the start i noticed a slight vibration from the steeringwheel under Acceleration between 50-75mph. The Whole car makes a slight vibration, but it can best be felt from the steering. (almost like lane departure) At first i thought it came from the lack of traction or something. I allso detected a bit of slack in the drivetrain from stand still. If i Lock the gear and go on and off the Accelerator, the car seems to "jump" or hesitate before giving me the full Power, feels like there is some slack somewhere.

I got more aware of this after test driving a 2018 M3 With 1500 miles on it. The 2018 was so Sharp and smooth to drive. No slack of any kind, and was totally different to drive! So i got one of the mechanic out to test drive both mine and the 2018 car. He agreed that it was night and day.

At the end of the day, the result was to order a New diff. But im afraid it could be so much more, after Reading several horror stories on the drivetrain on these cars.

Have anyone found a solution to this vibration problem. or the drivetrain slack?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
Wywrot
Rep
Drives: F80

I have the very same issue. Two years already. I can say one thing to You - BMW will do nothing with this. You need to used to it and live with it. They completely don't know what is going on - they will probably change lots of parts in your car and at the end will say - car is ok, no issue at all and vibration is normal because it is M3. My issue is not solved and I stuck with "shaking" car... There is lots of threads about vibration issue...
For example: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1409452

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

First thing you need to do regarding the vibration is to check your tires and rims for any imperfection (both sides) and have them re-balanced if you have not done so already. Wheels being unbalanced or too worn (there are bumps between the treads that will cause vibration when time to change) are often the culprits of vibration. Next thing to look at would be wheel alignment, then bearings, then suspension components.

I'm not sure enough is known regarding your slack/lag experience and assuming you have a DCT, I don't have enough experience with those to help if it is part of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
i would definitely try to get it resolved especially under warranty. If anything then potentially consult a lemon law attorney? Not sure if you have lemon law protections where you are...

In any event, I would never just accept the issue and live with it. Vibration at the wheel alone would annoy the heck out of me.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 03:54 AM   #5
Mr.Joe
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywrot View Post
I have the very same issue. Two years already. I can say one thing to You - BMW will do nothing with this. You need to used to it and live with it. They completely don't know what is going on - they will probably change lots of parts in your car and at the end will say - car is ok, no issue at all and vibration is normal because it is M3. My issue is not solved and I stuck with "shaking" car... There is lots of threads about vibration issue...
For example: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1409452

Good luck!
This is exactly what i am afraid of... read some threads about this, and its not looking good... How far did they go on Your car? did they change the Whole drivetrain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
First thing you need to do regarding the vibration is to check your tires and rims for any imperfection (both sides) and have them re-balanced if you have not done so already. Wheels being unbalanced or too worn (there are bumps between the treads that will cause vibration when time to change) are often the culprits of vibration. Next thing to look at would be wheel alignment, then bearings, then suspension components.

I'm not sure enough is known regarding your slack/lag experience and assuming you have a DCT, I don't have enough experience with those to help if it is part of the issue.
Yes my car is a DCT.
It is not a Wheel vibration issue. Have checked the Balance, and there is no issue there. Just put on the Winter Wheels, and have the exact same problem now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
i would definitely try to get it resolved especially under warranty. If anything then potentially consult a lemon law attorney? Not sure if you have lemon law protections where you are...

In any event, I would never just accept the issue and live with it. Vibration at the wheel alone would annoy the heck out of me.
I still got over 4 years of warrenty left. The car was registred in march this year. 5 years/200.000km warrenty here in Norway.
Not exactly sure what lemon Law is? but we have a Law here that says if they try to fix a certain problem more than 3 times, you have the right to get a New car. I am not 100% sure exactly how it Works, but i will definitly look into it!

I refuse to live With this vibration thing, especially when i know its not suposed to be there!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
Wywrot
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joe View Post
This is exactly what i am afraid of... read some threads about this, and its not looking good... How far did they go on Your car? did they change the Whole drivetrain?
They changed: all wheel hubs with bearing, left carrier, steering rack, driveshaft, differential... No change at all...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Mr.Joe
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywrot View Post
They changed: all wheel hubs with bearing, left carrier, steering rack, driveshaft, differential... No change at all...
I sure hope thats not the case for mine... looks like i just have to wait and see... 3 weeks delivery on a New diff.

Seems like this happend to a lot of MY17?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Hmmmm.... used by BMW headquarters, used for the ///M driving schools maybe...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
stormlv932.00
Kankles1484.50
      09-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
ItsaGoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M4

From a diff thread:

I had the exact same issue. The speeds you mentioned are exactly the speeds I experienced it at. And that is the best way to describe it - it is as if the lane change vibration is constantly on.

They opened a PUMA case and flew in engineers from Germany as this east the first occuranc of this issue and they were intent on resolving it.

Turned out the main culprit was the connection with the CF driveshaft. Once they replacing the connectors and then adjusted the driveshaft (there are three possible settings they told me) then it resolved the issue.

The repair bill was $37k CDN! It took many weeks to troubleshoot, but in the end it was resolved.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Hmm wonder if this was the real reason the driveshaft was changed to steel
Appreciate 3
      09-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Hmm wonder if this was the real reason the driveshaft was changed to steel
This.
Appreciate 1
WI_Rob93.50
      09-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I will take pre-offers on my steel shaft when I get my car later this year.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaGoose View Post
From a diff thread:

I had the exact same issue. The speeds you mentioned are exactly the speeds I experienced it at. And that is the best way to describe it - it is as if the lane change vibration is constantly on.

They opened a PUMA case and flew in engineers from Germany as this east the first occuranc of this issue and they were intent on resolving it.

Turned out the main culprit was the connection with the CF driveshaft. Once they replacing the connectors and then adjusted the driveshaft (there are three possible settings they told me) then it resolved the issue.

The repair bill was $37k CDN! It took many weeks to troubleshoot, but in the end it was resolved.
Jesus, that's 1/3 of the car cost
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Jesus, that's 1/3 of the car cost
The must have flown over 1st class and had a few steak dinners...
      09-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Fine enjoy your vibrating shaft in your undercarriage.
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
      09-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fine enjoy your vibrating shaft in your undercarriage.
Appreciate 2
Draper3460.50
GERMAN M34181.00
      09-19-2017, 01:21 AM   #18
Mr.Joe
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Hmmmm.... used by BMW headquarters, used for the ///M driving schools maybe...
No, we dont have the driving Schools over here, but i am sure that the car drivin hard. Lots of different People driving it. But its built for that! shouldnt be a problem...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaGoose View Post
From a diff thread:

Is all of this registred in the PUMA? Seems like i need to point this out to my mechanic. Do u have anything that can help me find this PUMA case, or something u can send me? would be much apriciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:00 AM   #19
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
No, we dont have the driving Schools over here, but i am sure that the car drivin hard. Lots of different People driving it. But its built for that! shouldnt be a problem...?

Is all of this registred in the PUMA? Seems like i need to point this out to my mechanic. Do u have anything that can help me find this PUMA case, or something u can send me? would be much apriciated.
The BMW site does mention Norway as site for their driver trainng program...

https://www.bmw-drivingexperience.co...ningsorte.html

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #20
Mr.Joe
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The BMW site does mention Norway as site for their driver trainng program...

https://www.bmw-drivingexperience.co...ningsorte.html
Its different over here, its not a driving School, its more of a m-experience. Its held once a year, where costumers are invited to try out different m-models on track. I was there, so i know my car wasnt used on the track. I worked at a BMW dealership until this summer as a salesman. And before i purchaced the car i asked them specific if the car had been used on the track or not. Because i wanted New tires if they had used it on the track. They confirmed that it wasnt so im trusting them on their Word... but i Guess i never really know.

Either way it shouldnt matter. I was planning on tracking the car myself, and these cars are built for this kind of driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #21
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Its different over here, its not a driving School, its more of a m-experience. Its held once a year, where costumers are invited to try out different m-models on track. I was there, so i know my car wasnt used on the track. I worked at a BMW dealership until this summer as a salesman. And before i purchaced the car i asked them specific if the car had been used on the track or not. Because i wanted New tires if they had used it on the track. They confirmed that it wasnt so im trusting them on their Word... but i Guess i never really know.

Either way it shouldnt matter. I was planning on tracking the car myself, and these cars are built for this kind of driving.
Was there any resolution to your issue? I’ve got a dealer appointment for this same problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #22
Pvt_D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 DCT AB

I have had both F30 340i with the B58 and F80 M3 - have experienced on both and fixed them both.

If your tires are > 2 years old or have > 20k miles on them - can almost bet it is the tires. These OEM tires don't last very long, but they are good performance-wise - or you have lost a balance weight. That can happen pretty easily and I know some db jerks that like to knock them off of cars that have room to do so.

Then your biggest worry with new tires is how badly the idiot replacing your tires is going to gouge up your rims when replacing - I can say this used to happen every single time I had tires replaced. I have realized you must do a before inspection with the rims and the installer.
Appreciate 0