GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

F82 Harness Install

I've been doing a ton of research and think I've settled on the right half cage (Bimmerworld). I am struggling to figure out the best seat and harness combo though. My first concern is not having to drill a bunch of holes in my car. Also, isn't the subwoofer in the way when installing the anti-submarine straps? Is there a way to keep the stock seats, or will I need to replace them both? I don't care about the rear seats as they've never been used.

Edit: I am planning to use the Z-Tech 6a head restraint.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I suggest you go with Brey Krause seat mounting hardware.

It allows you to retain the oem slider which is significantly better than any other one as well as keep your 3 point oem belts along with the 6/7 point

The install is fully reversible and requires no additional drilling

The subwoofer is not in the way of the BK solution.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the stock seats
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
I've been doing a ton of research and think I've settled on the right half cage (Bimmerworld). I am struggling to figure out the best seat and harness combo though. My first concern is not having to drill a bunch of holes in my car. Also, isn't the subwoofer in the way when installing the anti-submarine straps? Is there a way to keep the stock seats, or will I need to replace them both? I don't care about the rear seats as they've never been used.

Edit: I am planning to use the Z-Tech 6a head restraint.
I have the Shroth Bmw GTS harnesses if you’re interested, they’re brand new
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I suggest you go with Brey Krause seat mounting hardware.

It allows you to retain the oem slider which is significantly better than any other one as well as keep your 3 point oem belts along with the 6/7 point

The install is fully reversible and requires no additional drilling

The subwoofer is not in the way of the BK solution.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the stock seats
Sorry, I was asking if it would be possible to install a harness with the stock seats, rather than replacing them both with racing seats. If I do have to use racing seats, can the harness be mounted without drilling, so that it is fully reversible?

The BK solution is just a seat mount that uses the factory rails? Their website is kind of useless.

The Bimmerworld cage uses stock mounting points and is fully reversible if you remove the rear carpet instead of cutting it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
Sorry, I was asking if it would be possible to install a harness with the stock seats, rather than replacing them both with racing seats. If I do have to use racing seats, can the harness be mounted without drilling, so that it is fully reversible?

The BK solution is just a seat mount that uses the factory rails? Their website is kind of useless.

The Bimmerworld cage uses stock mounting points and is fully reversible if you remove the rear carpet instead of cutting it.
I guess you could mount a harness with the stock seats, but you'd have no sub belts as the seat doesn't have a hole in the bottom and what would you do about the shoulder belts? They wouldn't route through the stock seats at all

A 6 point harness connects to:
-2 shoulder belts through the seat and connects to the 4 point cage (or a harness bar)
-2 lap belts that go through the seat and connect to the aftermarket seat mounts
-2 sub belts that go into the seat and to the antisub bar that also connects to the seat mounts

BK makes seat mounting hardware that lets you run the 6 point and the 3 point for street use, lets you reuse stock sliders and also mounts a sub bar without having any permanent modifications.
Appreciate 1
Kev608180.50
      12-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I guess you could mount a harness with the stock seats, but you'd have no sub belts as the seat doesn't have a hole in the bottom and what would you do about the shoulder belts? They wouldn't route through the stock seats at all

A 6 point harness connects to:
-2 shoulder belts through the seat and connects to the 4 point cage (or a harness bar)
-2 lap belts that go through the seat and connect to the aftermarket seat mounts
-2 sub belts that go into the seat and to the antisub bar that also connects to the seat mounts

BK makes seat mounting hardware that lets you run the 6 point and the 3 point for street use, lets you reuse stock sliders and also mounts a sub bar without having any permanent modifications.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11481.00
      12-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The stock seats don’t have shoulder harness through holes so you would not even be able to use a 4pt harness. The first thing that has to change is the seats. Then you can go 4pt quick fits. Or 4pt with harness bar. Then you could go with 6pts and add a roll bar later.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
The stock seats don’t have shoulder harness through holes so you would not even be able to use a 4pt harness. The first thing that has to change is the seats. Then you can go 4pt quick fits. Or 4pt with harness bar. Then you could go with 6pts and add a roll bar later.
I ended up ordering the RSR Tesseract half cage and Sparco Circuit QRT seats with six point harness. I really wanted to keep the electric adjuster, but the hardware is crazy expensive!

Last edited by Kev608; 12-29-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0