European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-26-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
blockdoc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Hey folks,
During my recent escapade under the hood (replacing fuel lines, J-pipe, and inline ethanol sensor), I obviously had to remove and replace the charge cooler.
THe process is pretty simple with a little bit of mechanical know how.

TIS calls for removing under body protection and draining coolant at auxillary coolant pump under right front wheel well. I chose to KISS and basically let gravity drain the charge cooler into a bucket and then using rags to avoid spilling coolant (only partially successful!)

After replacing the charge cooler, TIS calls for topping up coolant at overflow tank ("cold tank" attached to Charge cooler itself) and then using a VACUUM filler to do a preliminary bleed of the system, then doing the TIS specified bleed after. Videos online seem to leave this out...and I didn't have the "special tool" lol.

I topped up the expansion tank and then followed the TIS procedure for bleeding as follows

1. Make sure caps are put back on any coolant tanks
2. Attach to battery charger (I didn't but would be safer)
3. Turn on ignition (don't start engine)
4. Turn on low beams (to keep car from falling asleep during 11 min proc)
5. Turn heat to highest temp and fan to lowest setting
6. Hold down accelerator for 6 seconds to initiate bleed process
7. Wait exactly 11 minutes while pump cycles
8. Heater will shut off at end of procedure

Despite following this procedure twice, the DME gave me a drivetrain error resulting from "Auxillary Coolant Pump Running Dry"

I disconnected hose to charge cooler and it became pretty clear the auxillary pump was dry and airlocked.

After a bit of thinking, here is what I did to successfully rectify the issue

On the front of the charge cooler there are two coolant lines, and inlet (lower one made of metal and coming from auxillary coolant pump, and a hose (rubber) heading back to radiator. I disconnected the inlet hose, stuck a LONG plastic funnel into hose and used hydrostatic pressure to essentially prime the pump with coolant. There was only minor spillage.

I then proceeded to repeat the bleeding process outlined above and could hear and feel fluid running through each hose through charge cooler. Problem solved!

I hope this saves some of you some time!!!

Cheers
Appreciate 5
      06-27-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
stillmatic
Car Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3C

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Mmvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Hey folks,
During my recent escapade under the hood (replacing fuel lines, J-pipe, and inline ethanol sensor), I obviously had to remove and replace the charge cooler.
THe process is pretty simple with a little bit of mechanical know how.

TIS calls for removing under body protection and draining coolant at auxillary coolant pump under right front wheel well. I chose to KISS and basically let gravity drain the charge cooler into a bucket and then using rags to avoid spilling coolant (only partially successful!)

After replacing the charge cooler, TIS calls for topping up coolant at overflow tank ("cold tank" attached to Charge cooler itself) and then using a VACUUM filler to do a preliminary bleed of the system, then doing the TIS specified bleed after. Videos online seem to leave this out...and I didn't have the "special tool" lol.

I topped up the expansion tank and then followed the TIS procedure for bleeding as follows

1. Make sure caps are put back on any coolant tanks
2. Attach to battery charger (I didn't but would be safer)
3. Turn on ignition (don't start engine)
4. Turn on low beams (to keep car from falling asleep during 11 min proc)
5. Turn heat to highest temp and fan to lowest setting
6. Hold down accelerator for 6 seconds to initiate bleed process
7. Wait exactly 11 minutes while pump cycles
8. Heater will shut off at end of procedure

Despite following this procedure twice, the DME gave me a drivetrain error resulting from "Auxillary Coolant Pump Running Dry"

I disconnected hose to charge cooler and it became pretty clear the auxillary pump was dry and airlocked.

After a bit of thinking, here is what I did to successfully rectify the issue

On the front of the charge cooler there are two coolant lines, and inlet (lower one made of metal and coming from auxillary coolant pump, and a hose (rubber) heading back to radiator. I disconnected the inlet hose, stuck a LONG plastic funnel into hose and used hydrostatic pressure to essentially prime the pump with coolant. There was only minor spillage.

I then proceeded to repeat the bleeding process outlined above and could hear and feel fluid running through each hose through charge cooler. Problem solved!

I hope this saves some of you some time!!!

Cheers
when you stick funnel in do you run car? also what hose exactly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0