EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #45
6speeds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
I use the VRSF. it is cheap, functional and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner. takes the filters out of the hot engine bay as well. yes install was a PITA, but it does fit.
Yeh me to loooove the vrsf cold air price and good performance and i do hear a glorious swoooosh sound at every gear change, i have a manual so maybe you have an automatic which is why you cant hear it ?? Good choice brother cars with access to outside air are rare..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #46
prodigymb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP & 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speeds View Post
Yeh me to loooove the vrsf cold air price and good performance and i do hear a glorious swoooosh sound at every gear change, i have a manual so maybe you have an automatic which is why you cant hear it ?? Good choice brother cars with access to outside air are rare..
I have a manual too. I can induce the noise by over throttling the car with high load, but driving normal its pretty quiet.... which I like. all the intakes with filters in the engine bay are louder.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #47
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyl3rr View Post
Have you ever tried other intakes? Also, for the price point is it worth it for the sound? That's my main concern.
Well.....depends...

For a stock F80 or F82 maybe... for a ZCP with exhaust mods...nope, I don't think so.

If you get them, make sure you get the second generation filter style.
2 of my buddies have the second gen filters which were supposedly blitz filters on their Rk autowerkes intakes and they are both rusting so make sure to keep an eye on that.

To Op in terms of sound MSR is the loudest, then max psi and then vrsf as far as the front mount CAIs go.

Max PSI is best bang for the buck in terms of fitment, quality and no CEL issues, that vrsf suffers from.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #48
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 INFINITI Q60 RS

Garage List
injen evolution intakes were excellent for me.

the regular injen eith heat shields gave me issues under hard acceleration.

retired: e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #49
Cloud IX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quickest Stock Turbo F8X

MSR makes the the most power and looks the best IMHO. And for those who say intakes don't make power, run a 11.6 with just an intake like I did, or a 10.985 @ almost 130 with bolts ons and BM3 Stage 2 OTS on 93 Octane.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #50
JHyatt147
Rep
Drives: F80 Comp M3 6M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
I have the RK Autowerks intake.

Pros

- Good support
- Looking good

Cons

- Not sure about heavy rain
- Cleaning filters is not fun

As much as I love the intake I would not go with a front mount again...
Are you that Worried about Rain that you wound have gone a different route? I really want a Front Mount Intake (MSR) but worry about water. I have had a few people tell me that they have had no issues in Heavy Storms.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #51
M4T.O.
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

VRSF installed today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT DAWG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We offer BMS, Injen & VRSF.
All three are very popular options.

VRSF is obviously a different design that has its pros but requires more labor.
if you do not mind the additional install time, go with VRSF.

If you are only looking for an easy install BMS or Injen is the way to go.
You do not need the heat shield for any performance gains.
Biggest difference between the 2 is that Injen does sound louder
From what you've seen, does it seem like VRSF fitment issues have been resolved? Also, more or less whoosh sounding than injen? Reason I ask is bc I've heard a few VRSF sound clips, but none for injen.
We installed brand new VRSF intakes today! No issues with fitment and the sound is intoxicating with my MPE exhaust !
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #52
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i, F82 M4, M6 GC, X5M

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT DAWG View Post
From what you've seen, does it seem like VRSF fitment issues have been resolved? Also, more or less whoosh sounding than injen? Reason I ask is bc I've heard a few VRSF sound clips, but none for injen.
All prior issues have been resolved! We have over 100 sets out in the wild right now with a handful of positive reviews on the website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speeds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4T.O. View Post
We installed brand new VRSF intakes today! No issues with fitment and the sound is intoxicating with my MPE exhaust !
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
I use the VRSF. it is cheap, functional and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner. takes the filters out of the hot engine bay as well. yes install was a PITA, but it does fit.
Thanks for the support, we greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 06-19-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #53
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Go for the BMS.
No do not go with burger. They are known for their CEL issues. I donít believe many people run that intake anymore. The maf sensor is located in a different spot than oem. I have not heard of them correcting the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #54
Fuel-It!
Rep

Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradom3 View Post
No do not go with burger. They are known for their CEL issues. I donít believe many people run that intake anymore. The maf sensor is located in a different spot than oem. I have not heard of them correcting the issue.
I haven't heard of any MAF issues with the BMS S55 intake or had any on our M4. As far as I can tell many other intakes out are based on the same piping although the BMS is one of the few that retains the factory airbox bottom for ducting and heat management.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #55
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
I haven't heard of any MAF issues with the BMS S55 intake or had any on our M4. As far as I can tell many other intakes out are based on the same piping although the BMS is one of the few that retains the factory airbox bottom for ducting and heat management.
It has definitely been a issue. I had the issue and know numerous others who have. Justin at Auto Talent will tell you the same. Local bmw dealership and Protuning freaks have all seen it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #56
Fuel-It!
Rep

Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradom3 View Post
It has definitely been a issue. I had the issue and know numerous others who have. Justin at Auto Talent will tell you the same. Local bmw dealership and Protuning freaks have all seen it.
With the V1 or V2 S55 intake? What codes exactly?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #57
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

We are currently using the VRSF intakes on the shop's M4 and are very happy with the sound
Appreciate 0