BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #45
Bmwlmr99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

I mentioned the crank hub and they looked at me like I was speaking another language then they told me to ask the mechanics and he said they haven't touched it...these cars compete in 2hr and 24hr events??? but limited to probably less than 475 to the wheels I guess , only allowed to remove cats , and minimal boost increase [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #46
Bmwlmr99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

l have really enjoyed my BMW, and don't want a catastrophic engine problem, but it seem that the e85 tunes ....which in order to work need more aggressive timing and mapping etc to take advantage of the burn rate of e85 compared to 93 octane to gain the extra 40+ hp and like wise torque seem to have more failures in my opinion....I've never ran a e85 tune....just stage 2 93 octane ...no drifting and hard burnouts , just hard pulls from a roll...to beat the hell out of a dodge or ford product of course ...60,000 trouble free miles
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #47
M3classic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3 zcp

That's how I want my car to look op. That's a nice looking car.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #48
coldsteelrain
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3classic View Post
That's how I want my car to look op. That's a nice looking car.
Thank you. Glad you like it
Once you start you never stop and there is ALWAYS more to add.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #49
M 4 FUN
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320, BMW M4 competiti

Personally i Think it's a combination of the high torquenumbers people are running, together with hard shifts, sticky tires and just pure abuse of the car.
That's why i will limit torque if i do a tune, to reduce the hard hit in mid revs. I don't like tha caracter that the high torquepeak gives anyway, i prefer a more linear curve with Power increase all the way. Easier to Control too. Like said, why doesn't the GTS and GT4 guys seem to have any problems?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #50
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i / F82 M4 6MT / F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
Personally i Think it's a combination of the high torquenumbers people are running, together with hard shifts, sticky tires and just pure abuse of the car.
That's why i will limit torque if i do a tune, to reduce the hard hit in mid revs. I don't like tha caracter that the high torquepeak gives anyway, i prefer a more linear curve with Power increase all the way. Easier to Control too. Like said, why doesn't the GTS and GT4 guys seem to have any problems?
It's a numbers game... same reason why everyone thinks manual transmission aren't affected nearly as much. There are no clear stats on how many fail, just forum posts , facebook posts, and hearsay.

For example, assume a 1% failure rate on 100,000 standard F8x = 1000 standard cars affected. The same 1% for the 1200 or so GTS cars? 12 cars.
Appreciate 1
melvyn254.50

07-20-2019, 11:56 PM   #51
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

I asked one of Turner's engineers at LRP today if they run a keyed hub solution on their M4 or if they ever experienced a spun crank. Their response was no on both inquiries.

They also mentioned they run less boost than OEM (unsure if that's GTS or standard M4 boost levels). Maybe running less boost helps prevent SCH from happening, who knows?

Last edited by ctgeorge; 07-21-2019 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2019, 01:39 AM   #52
blockdoc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
I decided to replace my OEM crank hub with the MaximumPsi keyed hub solution as I am pushing 580hp/tq at the wheels right now. I got all that power but I was afraid to push my car as I didn't want my hub to slip.
I have not done any crazy launches or even tracked the car yet. Every time I wanted to push the car I couldn't get myself to do it as I know there is a chance it could slip. So to put my mind at ease and actually enjoy my car I decided to get this done.
I looked at all the solutions on the market out now but decided to go with MaximumPsi as they have worked on my car before and I can only say good things about them.
Plus I have seen a bunch of their cars that run even higher power having no problems now.
Whichever solution you choose it's better than OEM.
Anyway, I want to get to the point. When my hub was taken off, one of the friction discs was deformed and cracked and it was only a matter of time before the crank hub slipped. So I got it done at the right time. Now I can enjoy my car and plan other upgrades for the future without a worry.
My vehicle info
2017 ZCP DCT
19k miles
Full bolt ons
93 octane custom BM3 tune
Cheers brother. I went with the VTT solution when I had my Pures Installed. I know exactly how you feel
Appreciate 1