BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Buy an M3 CS now or wait for the next generation M3?

Hi guys,

Was in a 2017 M3 Comp which I was planning to keep for another 2 years until the new M3 was out. Unforeseen circumstances and the car went the write off route. I have the option to get 2018 M3 CS, but since lease support is gone, the only option is to buy it outright.

My question is, should I spend the $90K on it right now with the new model just around the corner? The alternative would be to try out something else on a short term lease and then buy the new one.

Would be great to get some thoughts on it!

Regards,
S
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
M3Fahrer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Check Swapalease.com to take over a lease. I saw about ten M3 CS's on there the other day. And as I'm typing this I just remembered you're in Canada so that might not be an option for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Yes buy and hold for 4 yrs +.

Where are you getting a new one for 90k cdn?
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Do it... the CS is another level.

The new M3 will be New, but there’s no guarantee on anything other than the fact it will be faster. I can guarantee it’ll be more diluted and assisted than this gen though.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
The new M3 is at least a year and a half out until it hits the market, so yes, you should enjoy an M3cs in the interim and swap out 2-3 years later.

Is that 90k CAD ? Because that is a hell of a deal for a new one .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
You can always call around to other dealers about a lease, even out of province is fine.

90k is about the going rate for left over M3CS right now. My local dealer has one that's coming up on a birthday. Some M cars move quickly, some sit. I would've bought it by now, but I'm a doe-hard manual guy.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2045.00
      06-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Depends on if you're going for pure performance or luxury/performance. The M3CS is not a luxury oriented car. It lacks many convenience options for a reason.

I have an SMB CS and it is beautiful, including the interior, but some things about it bug me as a daily.
      06-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

why not just get a loaded 2015, then trade in on the new m3 when its out ?

45k car that's already ate most of its depreciation vs 90k car that's just getting started. It sounds like you're more interested in the G80 than the F80.. so why spend money on the F-series ?

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Depends on if you're going for pure performance or luxury/performance. The M3CS is not a luxury oriented car. It lacks many convenience options for a reason.

I have an SMB CS and it is beautiful, including the interior, but some things about it bug me as a daily.
Like what if I may ask? I'm considering one in the future for the right price.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
"Luxury" items lacking/not available in the M3cs:
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Center console rear compartment HVAC vents
  • Center armrest
  • Comfort access
  • Heated steering wheel

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2019, 12:49 AM   #11
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I recently got CS EDC coding on the F80 M3 amongst other items (GTS steering/MDM, etc..) and I don't see the value of the M3 CS when you can get the job done with some programming/tuning on a non-ZCP or ZCP car for about $600-700 and if needed a couple spring/swaybar changes. The CS is pretty much a special edition for those who want the last run of the M3 in its glory.

Also you're a year way from the G80 which will supercede the F80 in all
performance aspects... and then you'll be kicking yourself for not waiting.

I'm test driving the X3M (S58) next week... it should be interesting to see what BMW
has done with this motor and drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:40 AM   #12
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind I don't track my cars. I enjoy performance oriented vehicles because I drive "spiritedly"

This might sound minor, but lack of comfort access is one of the most irritating things in this car. Especially when all other vehicles you use and have used in the past 5-10 years have had it. It's not about laziness, it's about forgetting the CS doesn't have it then trying to open the door with the key in your pocket. Then you try finding the key in your pocket or wherever to unlock. It's even more irritating know the comfort access system wouldn't have added more than a few pounds at most.

The center armrest was another fail. You have to put your stuff in the cup holder, sun visor, or glovebox (phone for example). You also can't lean on it (I know you aren't supposed to technically).

The lag. The DCT has a second or so of lag so if you're trying to merge quickly from a standstill into a highway, you'll be SOL if it's busy. Even in sport plus.

Also keep in mind the audio system is atrocious and it lacks many more convenience features. Neither of these things bother me though.

If none of this stuff affects you then you shouldn't have a problem. I just don't understand how it's significantly more expensive than the base model. With current lease deals it's a bargain though! At MSRP, FUCK NO!
      06-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
"Luxury" items lacking/not available in the M3cs:
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Center console rear compartment HVAC vents
  • Center armrest
  • Comfort access
  • Heated steering wheel
Honestly none of those would bother me except the comfort access. The main feature of NOT having comfort access is not having the ability to just put my hand in the handle without it unlocking correct? I'd always have to hit the key fob to unlock?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly none of those would bother me except the comfort access. The main feature of NOT having comfort access is not having the ability to just put my hand in the handle without it unlocking correct? I'd always have to hit the key fob to unlock?
Correct.

I’m with you regarding comfort access. For my part, I have the M4cs which is even further stripped out of “luxury” items and the only one that is leaving me wanting is comfort access. Even after 8 months of ownership, I still find myself tugging on a locked door handle

Appreciate 1
M3GymNut907.50
      06-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #15
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

If the CS was available in a manual it would be an instant classic
Appreciate 4
The_Werm212.00
Humdizzle6054.00
M3GymNut907.50
WWM3968.00
      06-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #16
xsracer
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Hi guys,

Was in a 2017 M3 Comp which I was planning to keep for another 2 years until the new M3 was out. Unforeseen circumstances and the car went the write off route. I have the option to get 2018 M3 CS, but since lease support is gone, the only option is to buy it outright.

My question is, should I spend the $90K on it right now with the new model just around the corner? The alternative would be to try out something else on a short term lease and then buy the new one.

Would be great to get some thoughts on it!

Regards,
S
Don't think anybody can answer this question because nobody really knows what new model will be like. We can guess about some cosmetic details - it's likely to have lcd instrument cluster rather than physical dials, it's likely to have giant grills, but nobody really knows about handling, steering, etc. See what more important for you and how much you're willing to overlook. If you like new 3 and think you'll be ok with new model no matter what - wait. If you have like other cars as a back up - porsche, audi, whatever, - wait. CS is awesome but to each their own.

Myself, I got CS - I've always liked this F30/80 design and it's a great car and "dated" interior doesn't bother me. When new model comes out, we'll see. If I can't get used to it, I'm thinking of getting 911 S.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #17
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I recently got CS EDC coding on the F80 M3 amongst other items (GTS steering/MDM, etc..) and I don't see the value of the M3 CS when you can get the job done with some programming/tuning on a non-ZCP or ZCP car for about $600-700 and if needed a couple spring/swaybar changes. The CS is pretty much a special edition for those who want the last run of the M3 in its glory.

I'm test driving the X3M (S58) next week... it should be interesting to see what BMW
Hahaha, you do realize that the CS is a lot more than a tune right? I've owned a base, a ZCP and now a CS and it is leaps and bounds better, shockingly so.

Please don't misinform others when you haven't driven the car...

To the OP - the CS is an instant classic and you will enjoy the hell out of it.
Appreciate 1
Andrae26852.00
      06-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #18
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
Hahaha, you do realize that the CS is a lot more than a tune right? I've owned a base, a ZCP and now a CS and it is leaps and bounds better, shockingly so.

Fantastic, you've owned three M3s and probably lost about $45k in depreciation so far, I'm very happy for you.

I've driven most of the variations of the m3/m4 - the base, the zcp, cs and even drove the GTS (which you can buy lightly used for about $80k instead of a new $100k+ CS and is a much better value).

The CS is and will ever be just another special edition - nothing more. The GTS will be the classic and appreciate in value in a couple years since it's a real tricked out track special and BMW probably won't offer such a hardcore track vehicle for the masses moving forward.

More to the point - in less than a year, the G80 M3 will come out and absolutely destroy the F8x generation in terms of power, traction, handling and steering feel.

I've driven the X3M competition this week and I can tell this car makes 600hp at the crank easily. Once they put this engine with the 4WD in the G8x it's game over... and the best part is that you'll be able to pick one up for about $75-85k.. still cheaper than your much adored CS.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2895.50
      06-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #19
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Quote:
Fantastic, you've owned three M3s and probably lost about $45k in depreciation so far, I'm very happy for you.

I've driven most of the variations of the m3/m4 - the base, the zcp, cs and even drove the GTS (which you can buy lightly used for about $80k instead of a new $100k+ CS and is a much better value).

The CS is and will ever be just another special edition - nothing more. The GTS will be the classic and appreciate in value in a couple years since it's a real tricked out track special and BMW probably won't offer such a hardcore track vehicle for the masses moving forward.

More to the point - in less than a year, the G80 M3 will come out and absolutely destroy the F8x generation in terms of power, traction, handling and steering feel.

I've driven the X3M competition this week and I can tell this car makes 600hp at the crank easily. Once they put this engine with the 4WD in the G8x it's game over... and the best part is that you'll be able to pick one up for about $75-85k.. still cheaper than your much adored CS.
It’ll probably be closer to 2 years for the G8x.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #20
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have also owned all 3 variations and now have a CS. I wouldn't say leaps and bounds. If you're talking about track use then you could be right since I didn't track any of them, but for normal daily use there is not a 35k noticeable difference. If you think so then That's definitely a placebo effect.

I drive spiritedly too and could not notice much more than a stiffer suspension.
      06-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #21
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:

It's clear that you have an agenda, so I'm not even going to try and address your various erroneous statements. That said, enjoy your car and your tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #22
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have also owned all 3 variations and now have a CS. I wouldn't say leaps and bounds. If you're talking about track use then you could be right since I didn't track any of them, but for normal daily use there is not a 35k noticeable difference. If you think so then That's definitely a placebo effect.

I drive spiritedly too and could not notice much more than a stiffer suspension.
Did you really pay 35k more for yours? I paid 10k more for my CS than I did for my ZCP. Event then, I would gladly pay double that, as it is truly that much better.