INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
3305
Rep
2,347
Posts

Drives: M5/M240xi
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

BMW CEO urges staff to narrow sales gap with Mercedes

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
One of the first tasks from Oliver Zipse.

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...s-gap-mercedes

Quote:
BMW CEO urges staff to narrow sales gap with Mercedes

FRANKFURT -- BMW's new CEO, Oliver Zipse, urged employees to embrace change and to find innovative ways to help the automaker overtake rival Mercedes-Benz at a time when demand for luxury cars is waning.

Zipse addressed staff in an internal email a day after his predecessor Harald Krueger stepped down.

BMW has lost ground to Mercedes-Benz producer Daimler in the past five years and seen rivals such as Tesla jump ahead in electric car sales.

"Instead of blaming the current situation, conditions, political landscape or particular individuals, a positive spirit will enable us to seize the opportunities available to us. Such a positive spirit will be reflected in our culture: the harder the job, the more innovative our solution," Zipse said.

"We don't always have to be first, but we most certainly have to be far better than our competitors in everything that we do. This applies not only to our products and services, but also to our processes and structures, as well as our costs," he said.

BMW has already narrowed the sales gap between BMW and Mercedes and is preparing to launch more models, Zipse said.

BMW's flexible production methods, which allow it to build electric and combustion-engined cars on the same production line, provide a major competitive advantage because it will allow the automaker to scale up or slow down production of electric cars in line with demand, Zipse said.
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
alex2364
Major
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
817
Rep
1,479
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Didn't BMW decide to prioritize profitability rather than sales volume? At least that is what they did with the US market.
Appreciate 2
Miko M3305.00
Timujin282.00

      08-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Dav3
Captain
Dav3's Avatar
446
Rep
700
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

For BMW to gain more market share it needs to simplify and innovate it's line-up

Maybe they should also further develop their partnership with Toyota and attempt to absorb their hybrid engineering technology because clearly, their current electrical line-ups are both uninspiring and prototypical

Luxury cars for the working class hero is also another segment BMW should look into. Like the Corvette with the C8, BMW should make something more accessible to the market. Unfortunately this can only be profitable when done through economies of scale, so essentially BMW needs to trial and error a few new models before they can jumpstart the hype.
Appreciate 1
Miko M3305.00

      08-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
3305
Rep
2,347
Posts

Drives: M5/M240xi
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Didn't BMW decide to prioritize profitability rather than sales volume? At least that is what they did with the US market.
Trying to hit 2 birds with one stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
For BMW to gain more market share it needs to simplify and innovate it's line-up

Maybe they should also further develop their partnership with Toyota and attempt to absorb their hybrid engineering technology because clearly, their current electrical line-ups are both uninspiring and prototypical

Luxury cars for the working class hero is also another segment BMW should look into. Like the Corvette with the C8, BMW should make something more accessible to the market. Unfortunately this can only be profitable when done through economies of scale, so essentially BMW needs to trial and error a few new models before they can jumpstart the hype.
For how old this industry is you would think they learned a thing or two.

We all know how this industry is changing and what direction is going
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
xlover
Major
No_Country
516
Rep
1,125
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Didn't BMW decide to prioritize profitability rather than sales volume? At least that is what they did with the US market.
Their strategy in the US looks to be optimize per unit profitability and add more models to drive the incremental growth units...

3 significant moves i have observed:
1. Higher lease rates on traditionally subsidized models
2. Small incremental profit drivers: reduced after sale support (no more free wipers, etc) and silly things like subscription charges for carplay or potentially charging for other in car apps
3. more variety of models to choose from

I think only #2 is actually a risk to their business, there was no real reason to have the lowest lease rates of the german 3 other than pure unit movement goals, as long as they are competitive with the other two german brands they will not have an issue.
Additionally, Even with the traditionalist frustration in moves expanding the lineup farther away from core BMW historical competency (sport sedans), models like the gran coupes and expanded Xseries lineups have been driving growth.
The major consumer knock on lux cars overall is the "nickle and dime" optics. Packaging options seemed like a step in the right direction to improve that issue for the general market (again traditionalists love to pick and choose a la carte but that isn't a general market desire)... i think these subscriptions for things that are free on other brands is going to make it harder to market outside their existing consumer base. EG someone upgrading from ford or toyota is not going to want to pay for something free on their previous vehicle AND is free on the other lux brands they are cross shopping, small things like this leave an outsized bad impression on conquest opportunities

Last edited by xlover; 08-16-2019 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
alex2364
Major
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
817
Rep
1,479
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Their strategy in the US looks to be optimize per unit profitability and add more models to drive the incremental growth units...

3 significant moves i have observed:
1. Higher lease rates on traditionally subsidized models
2. Small incremental profit drivers: reduced after sale support (no more free wipers, etc) and silly things like subscription charges for carplay or potentially charging for other in car apps
3. more variety of models to choose from

I think only #2 is actually a risk to their business, there was no real reason to have the lowest lease rates of the german 3 other than pure unit movement goals, as long as they are competitive with the other two german brands they will not have an issue.
Additionally, Even with the traditionalist frustration in moves expanding the lineup farther away from core BMW historical competency (sport sedans), models like the gran coupes and expanded Xseries lineups have been driving growth.
The major consumer knock on lux cars overall is the "nickle and dime" optics. Packaging options seemed like a step in the right direction to improve that issue for the general market (again traditionalists love to pick and choose a la carte but that isn't a general market desire)... i think these subscriptions for things that are free on other brands is going to make it harder to market outside their existing consumer base. EG someone upgrading from ford or toyota is not going to want to pay for something free on their previous vehicle AND is free on the other lux brands they are cross shopping, small things like this leave an outsized bad impression on conquest opportunities
I mostly agree with this. These are the only things we can see from a consumer standpoint. I believe they have also cut back on dealer support within the past several years. I have seen a lot of long time BMW client advisors leaving within the past several years and if you read between the lines, they're just not getting paid like they used to.

A couple other things they have cut back on recently:

1. Euro delivery incentive
2. Maintenance reduction and no transfer
3. CPO warranty
3. Lease end buyout incentives
4. Demo lease incentives
Appreciate 1
Miko M3305.00

      08-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
3305
Rep
2,347
Posts

Drives: M5/M240xi
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I mostly agree with this. These are the only things we can see from a consumer standpoint. I believe they have also cut back on dealer support within the past several years. I have seen a lot of long time BMW client advisors leaving within the past several years and if you read between the lines, they're just not getting paid like they used to.

A couple other things they have cut back on recently:

1. Euro delivery incentive
2. Maintenance reduction and no transfer
3. CPO warranty
3. Lease end buyout incentives
4. Demo lease incentives
I also heard it will be much harder to get Loyalty Incentive credit.
Don't have all the details but they try to cut anywhere to save.
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
2597
Rep
2,482
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

So he thinks that an impassioned speech by itself will turn the tide? Did he watch the Alec Baldwin scene from Glengarry Glen Ross and think, wow this is all we need! ��

He and his staff need to have a clear strategy, not statements of hopes and dreams. And a strategy that learns from the mistakes of his predecessor, right? Does he have a brand new strategy....?

Quote:
BMW has already narrowed the sales gap between BMW and Mercedes and is preparing to launch more models, Zipse said.
Fuck.
Appreciate 1
Stage IV2403.50

      Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1224
Rep
7,566
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Next up, BMW announces that it will concentrate on trucks and sport utility vehicles while it expects continued modest growth in its ride sharing platform with Mercedes Benz.

__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #10
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
3305
Rep
2,347
Posts

Drives: M5/M240xi
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
So he thinks that an impassioned speech by itself will turn the tide? Did he watch the Alec Baldwin scene from Glengarry Glen Ross and think, wow this is all we need! ��

He and his staff need to have a clear strategy, not statements of hopes and dreams. And a strategy that learns from the mistakes of his predecessor, right? Does he have a brand new strategy....?

Quote:
BMW has already narrowed the sales gap between BMW and Mercedes and is preparing to launch more models, Zipse said.
Fuck.
I am sure the Focus is on Electric now big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Next up, BMW announces that it will concentrate on trucks and sport utility vehicles while it expects continued modest growth in its ride sharing platform with Mercedes Benz.

SAV is the one that drives the sale but, wait until economy slows down
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Brigadier General
United_States
1379
Rep
3,987
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

After reading the article the day it was published, it's not clear what is meant by "sales gap".

Higher sales volumes in each category?

Higher profit per vehicle sold?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #12
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
3305
Rep
2,347
Posts

Drives: M5/M240xi
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
After reading the article the day it was published, it's not clear what is meant by "sales gap".

Higher sales volumes in each category?

Higher profit per vehicle sold?
Mine understating is that they want the crown of most sold vehicles.
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #13
Timujin
Captain
Timujin's Avatar
282
Rep
902
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
More cars than can unpark themselves. Done.
__________________
We grow food to feed the animals so we can eat the animals
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #14
M 4EVER
Private First Class
145
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: M240/M5/X3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
For how old this industry is you would think they learned a thing or two.

We all know how this industry is changing and what direction is going
Will see how he dose and what the planes are. They all want to sell more cars.
Focus should be more on profit.
We all know that EV are taking over
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:51 AM   #15
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1224
Rep
7,566
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
For how old this industry is you would think they learned a thing or two.

We all know how this industry is changing and what direction is going
BMW desperately trying to remain independent. Resisting the slow GM-ifcation via govt directed EV implementation along with changing consumer preferences.

The electric motor is essentially a commodity product so imagine a world where there are only 3-4 EV powertrain suppliers which sell to automakers worldwide.

These powertrain suppliers will come about via consolidation of automakers themselves or perhaps a joint venture. In the end consumer choice will be reduced to the equivalent of renting a self-driving golfcart with a different badge.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST